Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are there any Air Force pilots here?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are there any Air Force pilots here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 03:10 AM
AirplaneDan98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any Air Force pilots here?

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm thinking of joining the Air Force and I wanted to know if there are any pilots here. I'd like someone to help me make sense of what all I have to do to become a pilot. If you don't mind helping a (hopefully) future pilot, email me at [email protected]. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Dan
Old 06-17-2002, 04:14 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I am in the same shoes you are in
Old 06-17-2002, 02:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent 6 years in the Air Force. I wasn't a pilot, but as far as I can tell, the first requirement is to make sure that your parents were never married. (J/K)
Old 06-17-2002, 03:25 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default AF Pilot

Short of all the jokes I bet some here has some help. From the point of view of a retired NAval Aviator. I would recomend you find out about the AirForce ROTC deal for collage. I was Navy Rotc and got a full ride through school then became part of the group of the best pilots in the world. Carrier Naval Aviators.
Sparky
Old 06-17-2002, 04:56 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Whoa Sparky, that's a common misconception. The Air Force
doesn't need light balls, hooks and cables to land. What's
so hard about getting thrown into the sky with hot air?

Dan, what you need to do is visit or write your local recruitment
office and get all the info. you need. Most importantly you have to
pass the Officer/Pilot exam. Back in '67' when I qualified thru the
exam, it is still no quarantee that you will get the pilot seat; but,
go down and do your best and see how high you can go.
GO AIR FORCE

Randy
Old 06-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Crash_N_Burn

My son was accepted into the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO right out of high school.

Pilot was high on his list but the requirements, at least at that time ('94) were stringent. 20-20 or better non-corrected sight was the one that sunk him. He had 20-25 in one eye and that was enough to keep him out of the flight program.

You might look into the different academies and see if it could be a possibility for you.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:32 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Military Aviator

Dan,

I had a very good time as a Marine Aviator. I suggest you explore all of your options i.e. Navy Army airforce and the Marines.

Each service changes their reuirments as the need for more pilots increases or decreases.

There are a lot of hoops you will have to jump through but the reward is worth all of the work.

Regards,

Dave
Old 06-18-2002, 03:28 AM
AirplaneDan98

Thanks for the input guys. I should mention that I have know interest in joining for the school. I would like to know if I can get in with a GED. Can anyone give me a list of steps I need to take? Do I need to get a diploma? To be an Officer, I have to get a college degree. What kind of degree would I need? Can I get it through the Air Force Academy or do I get it somewhere else? How long do I have to stay in the Academy before I can fly? I know the Air Force isn't all about flying, but that's my primary objective. Any help is appreciated. Dan
Old 06-18-2002, 04:27 AM
KidVermin

Dan:

c550 said it in that the chances vary with demand. The recruiting
office will have the current standards for applying for flight school.
It's all about test scores, politics and being in the right place and
time. A 4 yr. college degree (any) is a plus. Perfect health/eyes
are a must and did I mention test scores.
When I took the exam. the TET's of Viet Nam had the ball and were kicking butt. I was placed on 9 month will-call for flight school. The demand was there and so was the supply of pilots.
Today, with a slow military rebuilding program there is more of a
supply than a demand. (not good for you) Out of the military
Academy's that graduate ~ 400 each, less than 10% get into
flight school. These are the tops in smarts unless their daddy was a Congressional Medal of Honor receipient, whereas they got an
automatic appointment to any of the Academy's.
Read-up on all the info. you can gather and form a plan and go
after it. Desire, ability and politics can help you achieve your goals.

Randy
Old 06-18-2002, 09:17 AM
MikeL

If you're not interested in school, than being a military pilot likely isn't for you. Getting into any of the Academies is very competitive, and based largely on your performance in high school. The route many people take is ROTC, and your performance within your degree program plays a large part in what sort of career field you end up in when you enter active duty. Keep in mind that most people who want to become pilots don't. Once you're accepted into the program, there's more schoolwork to be done.

I was enlisted for 4 years, and most of the AF pilots I knew had technical degrees such as engineering. You've got to pass the officer's qualifying test as well. Talk to an ROTC rep and see what they can tell you. A normal recruiter will can point you in the right direction, but don't let them get you going on enlisting if you want to be an officer.

If flying is all you want to do, it's got to be military, and you don't care for school--look into the Army's warrant officer program. A couple years ago they were taking the best and brightest junior enlisted folks for helicopter training without requiring a 4 year degree.

Lastly, the Air Force doesn't look favorably upon GEDs.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:11 AM
wagas

I agree with MikeL. I spent over 10 years enlisted Air Force and had a lot of buddies want to fly with out having a 4 year degree. They did the Warrant officer thing. (Not enlisted Not Officer---but a red head step child of the military -JK-) They went on with associates degrees and became heli pilots once they passed all requirements.

Being an Air Force pilot (from my point of view -- I use to work on the flight line on A-10 and F-16s as an Electronic Warfare Tech and dealt with pilots) is very demanding. Days are long, you don't get to fly as much as you think you might and flying is usually not your primary job. Lots of additional duties. Lots of paperwork and management responsibilities. I tip my hat off to the guys that accomplish these things as it is very demanding. but the good news is that to be able to be strapped in either a fighter or heavy is very rewarding and something to be proud of, even if I get called out to the aircraft prior to launch for a redball and the pilot complains that his pod will not work in the O--F--F postion. he he. {enlisted humor}
Old 06-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Heavybird

Okay, I normally don't talk about what I do (I have a cover as a security gaurd at an all female college) but I guess I will throw in here and tell all.

I have been in the "service" for about 24 years. I fly some of the more secret planes in the inventory. I have time in the B1, B2, F111, and more recently the F 22. However, I have now been transferred to the newest wing. In fact it is so new that most people have never heard of it.

To put it bluntly I fly the B3! It has a few interesting call signs but for all of us who fly the B3 it is known lovingly as the EXTERMINATOR!
The plane is a Boeing Product, and combines several new technologies. Stealth of course is mission number 1 but also we have the ability to "supercruize" at mach 2.12735! I now what your thinking but we are proud of every last drop of speed we have. In addition we carry a bomb load over three times greater than a B52. . . thats over 300,000 pounds of Little packages of love and joy to our "friends" This is as you can see a pretty spectacular aircraft and we are very proud to be a part of its mission.

Captain Steven "Heavybird" Gottsworth