Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Flying Field, KC area

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 08:19 PM
bigjohnsonrc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Flying Field, KC area

Looking for RC flying field in the Overland Park, KS area. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2002, 11:50 PM
BalsaOvercast
My Feedback: (16)

Hey, I think I have the info you need.

Shawnee Mission RC Club has a nice runway in Shawnee Mission Park. Close enough to Overland Park to make it worthwhile, and they're a nice bunch of guys.

DIRECTIONS:

From anywhere in OP go West on 87th St past I-435.

Approx 1/2 mi past I-435 you will see an entrance gate to Shawnee Mission Park on the right (north) side of 87th St.

Enter the park, and follow the signs to the field.

Simple, huh?

Have fun, and welcome to Kansas City!
Old 06-19-2002, 03:12 PM
KansasBill
My Feedback: (1)

Hey "Big",

Since your from Big Sky country, you'll enjoy flying at the Jayhawk Modelmasters field. Lots of room, well manicured grass runways both north south and east west. Both 600' plus. Nice shelter, NO trees! and lots of elbow room. AMA required.

Come Highway 10 west from Lenexa, into Lawrence. South on Iowa Street,(highway 59), then west on county road 458 about 3 miles. Field is located just to the east of the Clinton Lake dam and just south of Eagle Bend gold course.

Check out our club website @ www.jmm.net

Hope we'll see you one of these days.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:17 PM
bmxbully

Another site you might check out is the Jayhawk Modelmaster flying field just east of the Clinton Lake dam in Lawrence, KS. It's about a 35 minute drive from Overland Park, but it's well worth it. The field is void of plane eating trees, both east-west and north-south runways are more than 600 feet of short grass, there's a huge pit to accomodate even the largest aircraft, picnic tables and BBQ grill are available, and there's a nice bit of shade under the shelter. You might be able to find some guys flying if the weather is crappy, but on nice days most of them play golf or something 'cause I've been the only pilot on many beautiful afternoons.

Take K-10 west from Overland Park to Lawrence, K-10 turns into 23rd st. and then Clinton Parkway. Head straight out toward the lake until you can't go any further, then make a left toward the Clinton Lake dam and turn left at the first chance to go east of the dam and around past Eagle Bend golf course. You will see the shelter and the wind sock and hopefully some old guys flying airplanes.

Look at the pictures at http://homepage.mac.com/jhwkmm
See you at the field!
Old 06-20-2002, 02:23 AM
aileron101

I have to agree, The Jayhawk Model Masters field is one of the finest I have ever flown from. The guys in the club are a pretty great bunch of guys too. Come on over and fly with us!!!