Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

IMAA

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAA

I recently became a member and would like your overall thoughts. In this area it seems to be a dead end area. A group of guys and myself are considering a revival.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:37 PM
BobbyRichardson

Default RE: IMAA

Why would you join a organization and then not support them?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

Yours is not the answer I am looking for
Old 04-08-2004, 10:59 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, go for it! I've dropped out of IMAA because the number of 'IMAA' only events were few and far between....so my $20 got me almost zip!

But if you can build up that area, more power to ya.....

Jerry
Old 04-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my many years of experience I have found that for the most part,people
do various things for various reasons but it all boils down to the fact that
people will only do something if there is an advantage to doing it.

If you want to try to revive the IMAA then show that there is a clear, defined
advantage in being a member. It has to be more than a name , a magazine and
a few events.

Several years ago there were quite a few IMAA events in my area that were poorly
attended because at that time only a few modelers met the 80 inch rule. To get the
attendance up ,several clubs dropped the requirements of size and called the event
a "scale fly-in " . Now ,these meets are 2 days long and very well attended with aircraft
of all sizes. Seems that EVERYONE has a good time. AND without the IMAA.

I wish that I could suggest something positive that would help you turn things around
but I have nothing to offer. You do have an up hill battle if you decide to take on this task.

I agree with tailskid "But if you can build up that area, more power to ya."

Regards
Roby
Old 04-09-2004, 06:48 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am not a member of the IMAA. So I am not talking from past experence. I would recommend that as the charter directs to make people interested in the large scale aircraft. Get people to see the larger planes. Get exposure to the hobby. WHile you may not have any sanctioned events, the name will set the tone for the event.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 AM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

Yeh, right now we have a very nice Scale Fly In in June of each year. Many people and pilots over two days and a real good time. A fair amount of giant scale but also those which are smaller than 1/4 scale .
Old 04-09-2004, 08:59 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

A few years ago (5 to 7?) the IMAA was quite large in our area, and a much greater force in general. Unfortuantely, the administration (Board of Directors) became very enamored of themselves, stopped listening to the membership, enacted some by-laws that were quite favorable to themselves, and essentially destroyed the organization.

At the time, Red Scholfield (the battery guru) and a number of others (myself included) spent countless hours on a website discussing the why's and how to's in an attempt to rescue the organization from them. The members of the website even contributed dollars from their own pockets to generate and distribute a "white paper" to each of the national members describing what was occuring and asking for a recall or impeachment of the Board.

As might be expected, apathy took it's toll and nothing was done. You see the results today in an extremely depleted, impotent organization.

(At the time all this was going on, Red had a very popular battery column in one of the major RC Aiprlane magazines. Although we never found out who , someone sent a letter to the publication's Editor complaing about Red's role in the white paper, and as a result of his participation, Red was fired from the staff of writers. I wrote and cancelled my membership, and will never read the rag again.)

I will also never again be a part of the IMAA.
Dennis-
Old 04-09-2004, 09:12 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Which magazine did Red write for?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:42 AM
crownvic

I think he wrote for Red Book! LOL what is the differance between IMAA and IMAC?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Hi: You say that you have an all scale meet that is well attended. That's the good news. The bad news is all of that will go down the drain if you elect to comply with IMAA rules and regulations. We know - have been there and done that.

Please do yourself a favor: go to the AMA forums, do a search under IMAA, click on the topic by Red Schoeffield 'IMAA to petition AMA re big bird events". Read what I have to say regarding the STARS club and the IMAA.

The IMAA tried to exercise their power over us - but we didn't allow it. You will be backed into the same corner, so consider yourself warned.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Roby

Hi Jim

I ATTEND "all scale size" meets.

Ya , I have followed the threads on IMAA and are well aware of what could happen.
As I mentioned before , we're hav'in more fun without it , rather than with it.

I suspect that the IMAA will never recover but I won't impede anyone from trying
their best to make it better.

One a different subject Jim, I am putting the finishing details on my Ercoupe that
was kitted by you. Should be in the air soon.

Roby
Old 04-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CheezeyPoof

I recently became a member and would like your overall thoughts. In this area it seems to be a dead end area. A group of guys and myself are considering a revival.
You requested some thoughts and it appears that you are getting some.

Personally, I see both sides to the IMAA Only events and the Non-IMAA *Big Bird* events. Each has its own pros and cons. I can enjoy the non-IMAA events, and I also like going to an event where the Big-Birds / IMAA Members are exclusive even though I normally do mostly smaller models, therefore I am definitely lower-class around the regulars.[]

What I fail to comprehend is that a number of people bash IMAA simply because they want to attend all *Big Bird* events without being a member of IMAA. IMO there is room for both, so each can find adequate opportunities for his personal selection. Unlike the general AMA situation, one can fly large model aircraft without being a member of IMAA. On the other hand all members of IMAA must also belong to AMA. I simply fail to understand the jealousy that apparently prevails from those that want their cake yet do not want to pay the market price.

You are to be commended for your endeavor toward reviving interest in IMAA. I think you will do well because in actuality, one reason for the IMAA membership decline is the fact that IMAA gets so little publicity theses days. So many transients through this sport just never get to knowing and appreciating what IMAA is all about. I wish you the best of luck.

Horrace Cain
AMA 539 IMAA 4598 Chapter 148
UMA 7160

edited to identify IMAA members exclusive.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:33 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

One thing here is we have the qualifying planes and many of them. What I don't know and working on is a number of IMAA registered pilots. Getting a straight Big Bird event would be easy and with an abundance of participation. Getting an event for registered IMAAers is a big guess.
Seems many have problems justifying the AMA, never mind IMAA. I mean our local club has over a hundred members which is 1/10 of the local AMA registered. Half of those members have a combination of or both 1/4 scale and 80inch. but why should they go IMAA.What a mess.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

I believe IMAA has served its purpose of promoting large planes as it seems 1/4 scale birds are pleantiful and afordable for the 2nd or 3rd plane after a trainer. IMAA should fold their tent as they have become inaffective in their mission and have reached their goal.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:29 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I don't see any reason for the IMAA to close their doors. While I have an issue with the board that ran the organization, and I have no idea how many of those 'good ole boys' are still involved, the basic idea of a SIG (Special Interest Group) representing the big bird sport flyers is basically a good one.

The IMAA had amazing assets a few years ago, due I'm sure to having a large dues paying membership, with very few expenses. Which by the way is what helped lead to the downfall.

Sorry, I'll get back on track.... If the IMAA could be revived, sans the cronyism of the "black hat" board that was running things, AND bylaws that would prevent a similar stuation could be enacted, than I'd like to see the organization do well. It could be a great asset to RC modeling.

By the way, anyone that flys 1/4 scale or larger aircraft (usually costing hundreds of dollars) and whines that IMAA membership costs too much is a pretty miserly grinch, don't ya' think?
Dennis-
Old 04-10-2004, 09:35 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am one of those who also feels that there is no longer a need for IMAA. I received an offer in the mail yesterday to rejoin for 1/2 price ($10). I'm going to decline. Does this offer indicate that IMAA is in some kind of trouble. Declining membership for example. I don't like their magazine and see that they offer the membership little else. Any IMAA event can be held with or without the IMAA restriction under the current AMA sanctioning process.

Paul
Old 04-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Sledge-RCU

JOIN THE IMAA TODAY

Why do you need the IMAA?

Because IMAA BOD Lobbies to protect your right to fly BIG BIRDS.

If you want to protect your right to fly BIG BIRDS, then the IMAA Family is
your Best Friend and your Only Friend. You are 9,000 members strong.

If you value your investment in Flying BIG BIRDS, then the IMAA is the best
20 bucks you will ever spend.

JOIN THE IMAA TODAY

Tom Hammer, IMAA Director D-8
IMAA 23199, IMAC 2949, RCCA 513, AMA 9732.
President: Hans Rudel RC Flying Circus. IMAA 695, AMA 4129
Owner, Hammer Field, 1911 CR 207, Eureka Springs, AR 72632
Old 04-12-2004, 02:16 PM
smokingcrater

Because IMAA BOD Lobbies to protect your right to fly BIG BIRDS.

If you want to protect your right to fly BIG BIRDS, then the IMAA Family is
your Best Friend and your Only Friend. You are 9,000 members strong.
first of all, who is trying to take this right away? and second, 9,000 isn't even a whisper as far as lobbying is concerned...
Old 04-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My perspective after attending last years Castle giant scale fly in.

It seems that the IMAA caters more or less to the large scale military and civilian passenger carrying aircraft more than any other types. This in and of itself is a good thing. The current innovations in retractable landing gear came from those who needed them most. They were and are the same people that the IMAA attracts and represents. Most IMAA members are builders, both kit and scratch, rather than ARF assemblers. We really want to keep their skills and knowledge handy. I sure as heck don't want to call someone in Hong Kong to see how something goes together.

Larger batteries and the advent of stronger servos are direct descendants of the efforts of IMAA giant scalers.

Innovations in large airplane building techniques started with, and continue to eminate from the giant scalers in and out of the IMAA.

All the events ARE NOT COMPETITIVE, and are held just for fun. It seems that most of the other large plane events with other organizations have the work of competition involved, removing some of the fun from the event. Don't forget the associated entry fees for the competitors.

A couple of things to note about the IMAA is that there doesn't seem to be much money in it for the officers to become enamored with. You might expect there to be a little less zeal in their committment without a serious paycheck involved.

The scale military and civilian planes' flight profiles don't mix well with 3D. It shouldn't be surprising that some serious differences of opinions will be encountered when the two types of flying try to interact with each other at a meet. It's not too smart to have both types of flight profiles operating at the same time.

There's plenty of room for the IMAA and any other orginization that feels a need to represent a special interest group if the need is there. I don't see IMAC becoming involved in military and civilian scale. And I don't believe the AMA could give a hoot as long as their dues keep coming in.

In any case, I had a LOT of fun at Castle, and met a lot of great people. For me, that's what it's all about.

Just my 2 cents.

Pat
Old 04-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Ed

I am surprised that no one in a previous post, has mentioned that the JOE NALL is also IMAA sanctioned. A very large and popular event.

The laid back, non-competitive format that is followed, creates an atmosphere of pleasantness that is attractive to many, and establishes friendships that last a lifetime.

If you have difficulty understanding their fly-for-fun, and not for prize money philosophy, then the IMAA is not for you.

> Jim
Old 04-13-2004, 12:08 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: crownvic

I think he wrote for Red Book! LOL what is the differance between IMAA and IMAC?
IMAA is for giant-scale enthusiasts. IMAC is scale aerobatics and is open to any size aircraft. IMAC is actual competition.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:53 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

<<...an extremely depleted, impotent organization...>>

Hmmm... cannot say that piece of news breaks my heart.

There was an IMAA meet at my club field one year. In my ignorance, I thought it was just another fly-in, and was looking forward to seeing these "big birds" and flying with them. Imagine my surprise when I was told that:

1. I could not participate unless I joined the IMAA.

2. My airplane wasn't big enough to play.

So, these guys are telling me that I cannot fly at MY club field, which I pay dues to be a member of, unless I pay THEM twenty bucks besides the landing fee?

But what was even more ludicrous to me was this pompous idiot looking down his nose at my GP Super Aeromaster 52" bipe, which looked very nice and scale-like, like it was some piece of garbage. And what was HIS airplane? A large Stinger (box with wings), and a rather poorly finished one at that, with no cowl, and spark plugs and ignition wires sticking out everywhere. But it was a "big bird", you see...

I have nothing against the organization per se. But a lot of the "big bird" flyers I have met are arrogant jerks; which is even more amusing since many of them can't fly worth squat.

I've been in the hobby since 1986, and began helis in 1992; so I am no stranger to being treated like a leper. But to be looked down on by fellow fixed-wing afficianados because I have a "little" airplane? Especially by someone whose building and flying skills are marginal, to say the least?

That's kind of difficult to swallow.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

There was an IMAA meet at my club field one year. In my ignorance, I thought it was just another fly-in, and was looking forward to seeing these "big birds" and flying with them. Imagine my surprise when I was told that:

1. I could not participate unless I joined the IMAA.

2. My airplane wasn't big enough to play.

So, these guys are telling me that I cannot fly at MY club field, which I pay dues to be a member of, unless I pay THEM twenty bucks besides the landing fee?

Why is this so difficult to understand ? ? ? If you want to play in a PGA golf tournament, then you need to belong to the PGA. Even if the tournament is being played at your home club, you still need to belong to the PGA ! ! ! What is so unusal about this ?

And regarding your plane not being big enough .... Guess what ?
Yer gotta play by the rules too.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I didn't have any difficulty understanding it. I just think it is wrong.

And comparing a model airplane fly-in to a professional golf event is stretching reality to its elastic limit.

Since you missed what I was driving at, I'll try again. I realize the rules say 60" for a bipe. What annoyed me, beyond the fact that this clown from out of town was talking to me like I was a red-headed step child, on my home turf, was the fact that my airplane was nicely done, while his looked like it had been done by a special education class. And he was saying my model wasn't worthy of inclusion.

Thanks for the mature response. And thanks also for reinforcing my point about IMAA folks being arrogant jerks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.