Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Young flyers program - Recycling Disgarded/broken/unloved RTFs

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Young flyers program - Recycling Disgarded/broken/unloved RTFs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 05:49 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Young flyers program - Recycling Disgarded/broken/unloved RTFs

I am testing an idea and would appreciate your feedback.

What if my club were to sponsor a program to gather unloved low-end RTF planes to create a youth program to get kids involved in flying? Do you think people would participate?

My thinking is to base this on the Firebird type planes that are sold as RTF packages. A lot of these end up in the basement broken, or the won't fly straight or just unloved. Would people donate them to a youth program? Heaven knows I don't need injured planes for myself. In fact, if this works, I will need to find a place to house this stuff.

Many flyers got started with these planes, then moved on to more advanced planes and the old 2 channel is basically discarded, not worth fixing, but perhaps never tossed out. There are a whole bunch of these similar planes from different companies. I think the core fuselage is made by one company in China. These include the Firebird, Firebird II, Firebird XL, Fighterbird, e-gull, T-hawk, Vector, Sparrow and other of these types. They are all of similar configuration.

We would need the whole package; transmitter, plane, electronics, wing, battery and the charger. The Firebird series even comes with a video. We will gather them up, use parts from one to fix another until they were flying. Then they would be used to get kids into flying. These are not for me.

Do you think this would work? If you think this is a good idea for a program, post your thoughts.

I could ask my club, the Long Island Silent Flyers, if I can organize this under the club. We are a glider and electrics club, so this would fit into our charter. I am sure there are other clubs around who might do the same thing. www.lisf.org I might even send a proposal to AMA that a program like this, based on unloved RTFs might be sponsored under the AMA.

Give me some feed back on this please. Could this work?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:20 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a similar program to what you propose. We have some older aircraft left to the club from a deceased member. We acquired another as a gift. Donations at a club meeting gave us a radio and engine. We have had mixed results. We started one younger pilot who finally decided that getting up early in the morning was too much trouble. He didn't even bother to call his instructor who volunteered to pick him up at home so he wouldn't
have to ride his bike on a dangerous road. We have another youngster who feels he has finally found something he would really like to do. His parents are supportive. The parents are often the key. Our first kid's mother thought this would be good for him but wouldn't bring him to the field or come there herself to watch.
Our newest member is the boy whose parents saw to it that he joined AMA bought him his own ARF airplane and had him join the club. As noted above the parents are the key. Once the youngster is hooked they can let him go on. If they only give lip service to the project it's doomed to failure. Another member and myself tried to start the AMA Delta Dart program in the high school gym and met opposition from the chairman of the school board. Go figure ! Good luck.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Bill L

BALLGUNNER, What was the school board chairmann's objection to your "dart" program.
I live next to a very busy school (700+ students, K thru 12) and am known well to the school board, and superintendent. Both in a good way, I hope![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2003, 11:19 PM
Shihtzutan

I think that if a potential RC pilot were exposed to junk that was laden with problems, he or she may loose interest before having a real taste of RC flight, not mention the safety issue of not knowing precisely what you're doing. There are other ways . . .

Most of us seasoned RC's like spreading the joy. I mentored several kids that started out as onlookers and even purchased a buddy box so I could share an occasional flight with my favorite spectators. I suggest you hang out at a flying field, but behave youself. If it's money you need to get started, then offer to retrieve downed airplanes. My club flies near a swamp. A swamp retrivial is worth $50.00.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:50 AM
aeajr

<hr>Originally posted by: Shihtzutan
I think that if a potential RC pilot were exposed to junk that was laden with problems, he or she may loose interest before having a real taste of RC flight, not mention the safety issue of not knowing precisely what you're doing. There are other ways . . .
<hr>

Why would I wish to expose a new pilot to equipment laden with problems. Woulnd't you fix any problems the equipment before you tried to train someone on it? I would.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:03 AM
ballgunner

You would have to live in this hillbilly town to understand the attitude some people have. We spend an enourmous amount of taxes to build an auditorium that is a concrete dome that completely obliterates the character of the forest we live in. The nitwit that runs the school system says this facility is meant for school programs only. He recently pushed for and got an all-weather outdoor running track. Adult square dancers use the place regularly yet he says it's for school programs for kids. As if the Delta Dart program is not for kids. I could go on and on but I'm sure you have heard similar tales before. Now the Forest Service is fighting us about the use of a flying site. They flat out stated that they wouldn't give up an acre of ground for a disabled kids campgound. Just as in Europe, give a man a uniform or a title and he becomes unbearable. If you think these people are public servants, guess again.
Off the soap box for now.
Ballgunner
Old 05-13-2003, 07:48 PM
aeajr

Protect that flying field. Remember the Alamo!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Shihtzutan

aeajr, permit me to clarify . . .

Unloved equipment is the same as junk. Guaranteed neglected. Good luck in your endeavor, it sounds like your mind is made up.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:52 AM
aeajr

Actually my mind is not made up. I welcome all input postive or negative. That is the best way to test any plan. Throw it on the table and let people take it apart. Your input is greatly appreciated. You made me think of things I had not considered, but I would not let a new pilot fly on troubled equipment.

The idea was to get leftovers, what ever they are and weed through. Body from this one, control board from that one, motor from that one and radio from another. Now I have one solid, properly working plane. Now I have one trainer.

It is just an idea. It may prove totally impractical.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 12:06 PM
ballgunner

The equipment we start prospective RC'ers on is not junk. We have good flyable trainer types. The new person, adult or juvenile, is given one to try. If he shows aptitude and interest and cannot afford his own airplane we give it to him/her. As in our last effort we had parental support so we still have our trainers. We would not, under any circumstance, create a stumbling block for a prospective pilot by using junk.