Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Foam sheeting vs, Ribbed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam sheeting vs, Ribbed

What would weigh more, A foam sheeted wing or one that was ribbed out.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:57 PM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the technique and materials used. Could be either one. My buddy who builds some big ones for me once in a while is building me an Edge right now with a new wing technique. Uses a wing jig to hold blocks of foam - puts templates on each end and cuts them like you would a foam blank, except these are now foam ribs - puts spars - wing tube - carbon fiber - all as needed and sheets the thing. Strong as any other technique and don't weigh nothing.

Dan
Old 06-23-2002, 03:03 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only foam wings I have built are on gliders. They are exceptionally strong, straight, and light. Also, most all of the F3A and advanced IMAC pilots are using foam wings. You really have a lot of freedom in the construction details. Here is a short list of options from my limited experience:
1) Foam density, 1lb, 2lb, 3lb/cubic foot. (white, pink, blue)
2) Sheeting, balsa, obeechi, glass, carbon, or any combination.
3) Spar, wood, wood wrapped with carbon filament, no spar at all.
5) Adhesive. I always used epoxy to avoid warping but others have used plain wood glue, spray adhesive, polyurethane, double sided tape.
6) finishing, plastic covering, paint, none/natural.

Even though most of my planes have rib wings (kits and ARF) I firmly believe that a superior wing can be made using a foam core or molding process.