Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

$6.00 rolls of covering at Tower Hobbies ????

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

$6.00 rolls of covering at Tower Hobbies ????

Old 05-13-2003, 11:16 PM
wings1150
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $6.00 rolls of covering at Tower Hobbies ????

Has anyone tried this covering yet??? I'm thinking of getting a bunch, but was wondering if it's any good?
Any thoughts? experiences?

Mike
Old 05-14-2003, 01:04 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Towerkote is OK.. not great.

Its a low temperature covering, almost identical to "EconoKote". Somewhat thinner than MonoKote, and easier to damage if you land in the tall grass. It is lighter though, and that can really help some aircraft.

I use it on most of my .25 and lower powered models. I have used it on a 4*60, and it didn't have any problems.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:18 AM
PROP-WASH

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Is that the rule of thumb with covering lower heat thinner, cheaper?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:57 AM
ballgunner

I've had limited success with the $6 covering. Sometmes it works well and others - no dice. As a rule the old saying "you get what you pay for" holds true here. If you spend upwards of $100 for a kit Is it logical to save $5 or $10 on the covering that doesn't always give good results ?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:55 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The TowerKote is VERY reliable about its performance... You just need to be aware of its limitations.

Never cover a Goldberg "Gentle Lady", Dynaflite "Butterfly" or similar aircraft with TowerKote. On tese wings the covering is part of the wing's load bearing structure, and Towerkote doesn't have the strength and/or stretch resistance.

A standard .40 size trainer... the TowerKote is just fine, as these planes don't depend on the covering for sturctural integrity.

TowerKote is MUCH easier to get to go over a compound curve than MonoKote... and it has a higher percentage shrinkage. (easier to iron out wrinkles)

I've currently got 5 rolls of TowerKote in my supplies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I've only been using this stuff for 15 years.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:49 PM
southern_touch99

I am currently building another Laser 3D (yeah the waterfalls head high seem to get me everytime). You guys say that this towerKote is lighter and lightness is a KEY for me so do you think that towercote will be worth my money?
Old 06-02-2003, 06:10 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Yes it should do fine on your 3D aircraft. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]