The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Balsa USA Enforcer, HELP?

Old 06-25-2002, 10:09 AM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Balsa USA Enforcer, HELP?

I just finished my Enforcer this week and will be doing some test flying maybe this weekend or next week. What should I expect? Anyone ever fly one of these? Thanks for any info. I've got a Kraft 61 on it. My biggest concern is there will be no airflow over the ailerons (Prop-wash only flows over the elevator) unless it's moving. Deltas and pushers are new to me so thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15500_1439.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	9936  
Old 06-25-2002, 10:11 AM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pic 2

Pic 2

Name:	15501_1439.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	9937  
Old 06-25-2002, 10:14 AM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pic 3

Pic 3

Name:	15502_1439.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	9938  
Old 06-25-2002, 05:08 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Enforcer

Nice pics and a super sharp Enforcer.

I had two of them. Loved them both.

If you did not set about 4 degrees reflex in the ailerons/elevator then you can expect to probably have pitch trim problems. It will fly fine but you will constantly be trying to dial in pitch trim.

It will fly very slowly with a very high angle of attack - HOWEVER - when you are landing if the wing starts to wobble ADD POWER because it is just about to quit flying.

I could hover mine in a nominal wind of about 15mph and about 45 degrees AOA.

Let it build up some ground speed before you rotate, if you force it off too soon then the wings will wobble and, well, see item 2 above. You might have to hold some down elevator in yours given your AOA.

Both of mine sat at an almost level attitide on the ground. I don't know about ground handling/ltakeoff/anding with your configuration and maybe it will not be a problem. I had replaced the standard landing gear with shock absorbing units and I used 3 inch wheels. Flew off asphalt and grass both.

Neither of mine had any bad habits.

If you get your cg behind where it is supposed to be it will be fairly hard to control.

Deltas are a lot of fun. I had Fox .74's on mine ant that was ample power. Biggest complaint I had was not the Enforcer it was the lack of different pusher props. I now fly a Bruce Tharpe Delta Vortex as it has the normal tractor engine configuration.

Have fun. Full power veritcal rolls are somewhat stunning.

Dan
Old 06-25-2002, 06:07 PM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply and comments. The reason for the high AOA was I had guy tell me that it was needed with this airplane in order to get it to rotate easier. The gear did look to stiff so the rear gear got bent back enough so there is a little spring to it plus its one of the ways it got that AOA. The reflex is mystrey to me and the reason for it but thanks for the reminder. I almost wished I had gone the elevon route. I already have plans on building another next year once I determine if I like this or not. I want retracts as this kit looks sleek with no gear. Your right about the props. I orgianlly mounted a 91 but didn't want to put a 14 x 6 prop on it because of ground clearance and the next smallest I could find was a 12 x 6. Thanks for the info
Old 06-25-2002, 07:01 PM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default reflex

Reflex is used on deltas to compensate for not having a tail (thereby not having aerodynamic forces on or about the tail). This obviously helps pitch stability.

Some deltas do not require any reflex. My Bruce Tharpe Vortex does not. I talked with Bruce and he said that he designed it that way so as not to require reflex. The Vortex has a different wing airfoil with different aerodynamics.

I saw an Enforcer fly with no reflex and it was not very stable. I also saw one that had been converted to a ducted fan that had no reflex and it flew just fine.

Be safe - add the reflex.

Also, I never had a problem rotating with the stock heigth or attitude gear. Did the person that gave you that advice have an Enforcer that he had a problem with or was it just his "expert opinion". My Vortex sits level also.

Dan
Old 06-25-2002, 08:28 PM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will add the reflex for sure. I'm using one servo per aileron to have some added extra to play with. Like coupling with elevator to get maybe a air break effect. Plus With using seperate aileron servos I can adjust and dial in the reflex by adjusting the flap knob on my T6XA radio.

Anyway, the guy that told me (do not know him only just met him) that he had one and had a hard time getting it off the ground with the stock landing gear set up. It sounded like his nose gear was shorter than his main gear. I agree that mine is a tad high and might consider dropping it down a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I almost bought one of those vortexs last year when I first became intriqued with deltas. But decided on the enforcer because of a $50 dollar price difference between the two at the Perry Flea market here in Georgia a year ago.

My pop was bored last week so he bought me and him the Jerry Smith delta "OUTLAW" and that will make Two Deltas I'll have. I'm going to see How quick I can build it and use a 40LA for power
Old 06-27-2002, 10:50 AM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have just test flown my Enforcer. It does something wierd, It pitchs up at a 45 degree angle at full throttle and stays that way constantly wanting to climb. As soon as you throttle back it drops the nose drasticly. Is it suppose to be this pitch sensitive? I used the 3 degrees of up reflex on all the control surfaces(ailerons and elevator) Does the elevator require this also? The ailerons where built as shown on the plans (where it says shape to create the wash out). I had to use down elevator to get it down on the ground which came in very gently with the throttle almost at idle. (down elevator was roughly -1 to -2 degrees past thrust line. Please Help, I really like the this airplane as it's very sleek. Thank You for any help you can provide.

Details:
Older Enforcer kit not a new one. box with OLD!
No instructions on the throws for control surface in plans or insturctions. What are they suppose to be?
Kraft 61 engine
I am using two servos per aileron.
CG is as the plans say- which is 16 inches from trailing edge of wing (not from trailing edge of elevator, but from the wing itself)
Old 06-27-2002, 11:33 AM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pitch

I am at work but I will check my Enforcer manual at lunch. Mine is from the new (redesigned) kit. I think it also has the throws. As a test, you might take the reflex out of the elevator and just leave the ailerons reflexed. I remember that the fuse construction had what amounted to down thrust built in to the firewall. I don't think that angle could be changed during construction. As I remember the construction was such that if done correctly it was not possible to change this angle. Too much down thrust would, I believe, cause this to happen as that would push the nose up but I can't see how you could get an incorrect angle here.

I would take the reflex out of the elevator as that control surface also gets the prop blast directly.

I didn't have that problem with either of my Enforcers.

I will check at lunch.

Dan
Old 06-27-2002, 02:23 PM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dant:

Your right the angle is built in to the fuse for the thrust angle. That was not changed at all. The elevator I think is the key to the problem. I will play with it some more this weekend. Thanks for looking up the throws for me.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:51 PM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Throws

wagas:

Sorry, didn't get to get home for lunch. I will look them up after work and post a reply this evening.

Yea, I think the elevator might be the cause also...

Dan
Old 06-27-2002, 09:14 PM
dant-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default throws

wagas:

The control throws (measured FROM the reflex position) are:

Elevator: 1/2" Up and Down
Ailerons: 3/8" Up and Down

CG 16 1/8" forward of the trailing edge of the wing not including the elevator. My manual states "Do Not change the CG. Delta wing aircraft are sensitive to even minor changes in the CG. Experiment with just about anything else.".

Since the Enforcer is basically a low-wing aircraft, I balanced mine upside down and I think I had just a "tad" of nose-down attitude (I normally balance everything there for first flights). I remember being warned to make darn sure that I had my CG set correctly by another Enforcer owner.

Hope this helps.

I will be away from my computer during the day tomorrow but let me know your progress. Perhaps a check of the CG (upside down and tank empty if you didn't do it this way the first time) and removing the reflex from the elevator will solve the problem.

Good Luck.

Dan
Old 06-28-2002, 04:23 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Still tail heavy

Seems to me the CG needs to be moved

I had one where the maiden flight was tail heavy! It was a difficult flight, :drowning: but survived (later on I lost it due to a switch turned off by the vibration :disappoin

good luck,
Edgar
Old 07-08-2002, 05:30 PM
wagas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Good News

The CG and throws have been adjusted accordingly. I had to increase the throws to get it to handle like I wanted to and now it flies great. Very predictable and a blast to fly. Thanks for your help Dan and Edgar. I now plan on building one of these with rectracts next year and a Wee bit more powerfull engine. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
rmhjr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Enforcer

i need help, i rec. this enforcer from a friends estate. i bought the const. book on line, but i'am having problems finding info on how to balance the inforcer?? can you get me info on the best way to balance it ????