Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need your quick advice with the 85" Big Bingo

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need your quick advice with the 85" Big Bingo

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:43 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need your quick advice with the 85" Big Bingo

I've already glued the phenolic wing tubes into the wing halves, and it looks like a bunch of dihedral is built in it! 6 1/2 degrees of it to be exact.
Should I leave this plane alone, being the designer knows more than I do about it's design? Or should I tear the tubes out, and redo the wing with little or no dihedral.

I thought I read guys saying what a bunch of fun this plane was to fly and all the maneuvers it will do. I now wonder if they were doing it with all that dehydral.

The plane will likely weigh 17 lbs and be powered by a Moki 2.1
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need your quick advice with the 85" Big Bingo

I had a Big Bingo some time ago. I built mine in the stock configuration. It was a ball to fly. I don't remember how much dihedral it had, but it flew very well. If I were you I would not mess with tearing the wing tubes out. I would just continue building and have a ball flying it!

I hope this helps.

Steve
Old 04-21-2004, 12:34 AM
rustyrivet

Steve,

The mess up is that I built the first four ply ribs in the wing out of sequence, and so had to enlarge the holes in the ribs to accept the tubes. I wish the instructions would have been clear to tell me that the hole for the wing tube graduated in height with each rib. I had to reem out the holes to be able to getr the tube to fit in the ribs. The only guide thus for the angle of the dihedral I was left with was the angle of the first root rib on each wing half. That root rib on each wing half was set at an angle using a paper template. I completed the wing hafs to find that the wing currently has 6 1/2 degrees of dihedral. -One wing half sits on the floor and the other half sits up 4 1/4" high. Somebody else told me his wing sits up 3 1/8" inches at the one end. I simulated this to calculate that his wing has about 3 7/8" - 4" of dihedral.

This bothers me to think I might have added more dihedral then was called for. If anything, some guys before construction were telling me to provide for less or remove the dihedral altogether if I want the plane to really perform.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:03 PM
flyathome

Randall,

Have you put the sheeting on the center section yet? If not it should not be too hard to correct the problem. Simply enlarge the holes in the wings, set the wings as you want them and them put plywood around the tubes and glue it to the ribs. I don't know if that makes sense or not. If not, you can PM me and I will give you my phone number so we can talk about it on the phone.

Steve

P.S. It may be a pain now, but when you get the Big Bingo built it will be worth it.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:44 PM
rustyrivet

Steve,

It took me about an hour on each wing half last night to carefully remove the tubes and clean everything up. It's all ready to go.

The angle of the root ribs I had started with (produced from the kit template) built a wing with 6 1/2 degrees of dihedral.

An RCUNIVERSE guy told me his plane had 3 3/4 to 4 degrees of dihedral. And still another guy here told me that he figured out that the plane has 2.50 degrees.

WE'RE ALL OVER THE MAP WITH THIS ONE!

Anyway, I was at the LHS yesterday and the guy there who's retired and builds aerobatic planes for income advised that I put in a slight amount of dihedral, rather than none. (Like me, he didn't like the wing either with the 6 1/2 degrees that it currently had) He advised slight dihedral helps to steady the plane on straight runs. We put about 3 magazines under each wing tip, and agreed that the angle looked good and would work good. I don't know how much dihedral that actually was, as I didn't have my protractor with me. But when I got home and experimented again with the wing halfs trying to duplicate the same slight angle we made at the LHS, the number I settled on was 2 degrees.

Thanks for the help. Mighty kind of you.
Randall
Old 04-22-2004, 10:50 PM
flyathome

Randall,

It sounds to me like you are on the right track. If I can be any help let me know.

Let me know how your Big Bingo flys.

Steve