Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME............I HOPE!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME............I HOPE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 07:57 AM
eddiemans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME............I HOPE!

Arrived at the field today just in time to see a new club member reach in to adjust his fuel mixture. You guessed it, he got bit by the prop. Deep cuts to his little pinky requiring 16 stitches. We also found out he can't handle seeing blood, especially his own. This he told us after he came to after blacking out for five minutes or so. First thoughts were that he went into shock so we treated him accordingly with blankets & put him in the correct position on his side.
He was then transported to hospital for medical attention.

This situation highlighted to me the wisdom of having some of the regular pilots attend a First Aid Course & also ensuring the club First Aid Kit is updated & Stocked Up. This idea will be floated at the next club meeting. The First Aid Kit will be updated tomorrow!

In the meantime, I for one am going to get some GOOD leather gloves, I'LL also think twice before flying alone. Safety is everyones concern.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:06 AM
RCJones

Default RE: IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME............I HOPE!

It seems we are all bound to brain fart one day. I echo the NOT flying alone part. Ever since I got a Saito 150 and it knocked the chicken stick out of my hand I haven't flown alone. The only thing I would fly by myself is a paper airplane and that would probably hit me in the eye.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:19 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

You are absolutely correct about the need for people to take First Aid training as most people do not know what to do in case of an emergency. Take your club for example, whatever traing the person had who took control of the situation was probably confused with SCUBA first aid. After the Primary assesment you control the bleeding with direct pressure, elevate above the heart and apply pressure the the main artery (not a tournequette). As for shock, you do not use blankets unless it is really cold or they are on a surface that is causeing harm and you do not lay on their side unless you are trying to clear a blockage in the throat (such as vomit). You elevate the legs 8-10 inches to help blood flow back to the brain which would have helped this person recover faster.

I was at a Pylon race when one of the participants slipped and hit his knee on the prop. People started yelling for ice for some reason thinking that is what you do. At first I didn't want to go over because there were already ten people standing over the guy but when I heard the ice call it became appearent that nobody had any training. So when you say it is a good idea for clubs to get some training I agree 100%. I would even suggest that a club meeting could be used more productivly for a First Aid class than some of the BS that occurs at ours.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:30 AM
eddiemans

BB The person who took control had done a first aid course. The wound was bandaged & feet elevated, it was blowing quite hard & 9 degrees centigrade, thats why the blankets, he also recovered sufficiently in five to six minutes after waking up to move him to a warmer spot.

Thank you for your interest & comments but please remember not to ASSUME about a situation,
we all know what that does
Old 05-02-2004, 08:35 AM
BasinBum

eddie, you are correct about assuming but I have made an ***** of myself many times so that is not a problem for me. As for the blankets I did say it was appropriate for cold. Why did you lay them on their side?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:42 AM
eddiemans

Why he was layed on his side I don't know, I can only guess it was a precautionary measure!
Not knowing the answer to that question is another reason I'LL be signing up for a First Aid course!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:57 AM
BasinBum

Well let me assume and you can check it out and get back to me on it. I'd guess that the person took his First Aid traing through a SCUBA facility. It used to be taught that for certain suspected SCUBA injuries laying a person in a legs elevated left side down position(modified trendelenburg position) was appropriate. That wisdom has been questioned and now it is generaly accepted that treating for shock is preffered. I'll bet dollars to dougnuts that your person in charge is a SCUBA Diver. How's that for assuming?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Blackie

It happed to once 4 years ago during my intro into the hobby. It was my first break in at the field. At 1/3 throttle on my TH .75 the engine fired up on the first try, I panicked, tried reaching around the prop to adjust the needle, the tip of the prop tore my hand to pieces. 36 stitches, all fingers were cut except the ring finger. That was one hell of a reminder and to this day I make a conscious effort to do all my adjustments behind the prop. That became one hell of a good reminder.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:50 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 types of modelers; "Those who have been bit by a prop", and "Those who will".
Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

True,
Old 05-02-2004, 04:43 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

One of our club members is a medical doctor I asked him to check our first aid kit and give me his thoughts on what it needs. At our next meeting he his going to conduct a first aid seminar.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:07 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

eddie, you are correct about assuming but I have made an ***** of myself many times so that is not a problem for me.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:59 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I have yet to be caught by a prop. I did however, almost, really really almost, put my hand through the prop arc to adjust the needle on a .46FX a couple years back. Just saw the needle, wanted to adjust it, and reaction started to reach for it. I caught myself and stopped just in time. I felt the prop, but no damage at all. Whew!!!

That as been a perfect reminder how easy it is to do something stupid completely by accident. Since then I have adopted some procedures that I always adhere to in an effort to prevent it in the future. Its even more important since most of my airplanes have props in the 26" to 38" range. I wouldn't be looking for my fingers, I'd be looking for my hand!
Old 05-02-2004, 09:20 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first aid??? over here we just douse the bloody stump in glow fuel and rub some dirt on it....and if that doesn't work then you go to the local witch doctor who spits or pees on the wound depending on the brand of prop that did the damage...

dave
Old 05-02-2004, 11:19 PM
dioncuda

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

first aid??? over here we just douse the bloody stump in glow fuel and rub some dirt on it....and if that doesn't work then you go to the local witch doctor who spits or pees on the wound depending on the brand of prop that did the damage...

dave
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-03-2004, 07:55 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

A few years ago I was hit with an APC from a Saito .80 requiring a few hours in the emergency room. Since then, I use a welding glove to start my planes. Once bitten, twice shy!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I have been seeing in this hobby, we are taking safety pretty seriuosly. A couple plylon races and big bird competitions I have been to have had ambulances standing by for emergancies. We had one during a funfly and they treated a sprained ankle and two for heat stroke. At both clubs I have been in have had medical professionals in them. The clubs have had these people give some good seminars to other members. These seminars covered what to do while flying alone, if your the 1st responder, what lind of 1st aid items to have in your flightbox, and administering first aid for RC types of injuries. Don't forget, prop strikes are not the only injuries. For the past 15 years, I have never been biten by the prop, but have have debris kicked into my eye from a spinning scratching the cornea, a serious puncture wound from a stick while looking for a plane, a sprained ankle from falling into a hole looking for a plane, and a messed up knee from climbing a tree.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 AM
BasinBum

Jeez Scott, the only injury left for you is getting electrocuted while using a simulator.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:08 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, close, I was knocked on my butt once when the club installed in-ground sprinklers and 110v power recepticles by each pilot station. Well, something wasn't quite grounded and when I leaned my hand on the receptical, I got charged.

Club safety rule number 27 - when the club is installing electrical hookups, do not take the guys word for it, get a licensed electrician to check the work.[:@]
Old 05-03-2004, 02:39 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Ah...didn't use GFI's I see.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:25 PM
air mail rcu

Might have used them, just didn't hook them up right. And didn't test them either[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 PM
JimRoss

That's what I thought too until my G-38 ATE my right thumb. It is now one joint shorter than my other thumb. Let's see, that would be the left one, right?
By the time you realize something has happened, it's already happened and over with. It is really amazing how quickly a finger can be torn up or even removed.
This picture is very graphic so if you're squeamish, don't look.
100 stitches and a year later...... I still fly but with a much greater respect for rapidly rotating sharp objects.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59048.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	129608  
Old 05-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Mhale71

ORIGINAL: RCJones

It seems we are all bound to brain fart one day. I echo the NOT flying alone part. Ever since I got a Saito 150 and it knocked the chicken stick out of my hand I haven't flown alone. The only thing I would fly by myself is a paper airplane and that would probably hit me in the eye.

oh no!, youll be killed!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:03 AM
RCJones

[oh no!, youll be killed!!!
[/quote]

[&o]You didn't have to make fun of me! Sniff Sniff....All I picture is me with a hand or arm looking like JimRoss, I pass out and lay ther until the vultures pick me apart and my wife says " gee he sure is flying a long time tonight"
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 AM
wyldman
My Feedback: (1)

I have been teaching this to students for years, I always wear welding gloves to start an engine and I try to get others to do the same and most do but don't forget the safety glasses, and like I tell others if you don't want to look like a dork buy the sports styled glasses then you can be safe and think you look cool to.
As for jim ross sorry to see that picture but that image really really makes you think.
one of my fellow club members had a similar accident with a g45 he made some changes to the plane an then went to start it in his driveway,only to find out that the throttle servo was now reversed, so it started wide open, and ate up both of his arms from wrist to his shoulders , had his wife not been home he would of died. And no he didn't secure the plane to the ground. And I don't fly alone.
WYLDMAN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.