The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I HAVE to tell you this story...

Old 07-01-2002, 03:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I HAVE to tell you this story...

Last Saturday my club had a well advertised event for the local town festival. There were going to be demonstration flights, a trainer cord hook-up so people could try it etc.

One of the events was going to be "Hit the plane with a paintball" for 25 cents a shot, where we were going to let people shoot at a Duraplane with paintball guns.

Well, the event was a bust It was just too windy. No one wanted to risk flying in the stiff breeze that was blowing. Not to disappoint the crowd, I did manage one good flight on my Ultra Sport 40, only to get hit by a gust on landing and tearing out a retract in the grass.

But the crowd were really disappointed to miss out on the paintball event. The guy with the DuraPlane didn't even show up due to the winds.

So I decided to try something. I cranked up my old Seamaster. This particular one I had built with a foam wing, and instead of knocking out the holes in the plywood sides, I had glued them in and painted it. So I figured it was sturdy enough to "take a hit or two".

After making several flights, no one was able to hit it. So on the final flight, I slowed it down. THIS THING WAS AMAZING! It crawled through the wind at speeds so slow that I thought surely it was going to stall, but it just kept flying. It was all I could do to keep it from being blown all over the place, but it responded to all of my inputs like a well trained dog. And yes... it got PLASTERED! All in all, it probably took over 30 hits. Total damage: One of the knock-out holes got knocked out, and one paintball went clean through the vertical fin. Results: The crowd was happy, The Club was happy, and I was delighted with this little airplanes performance!
Old 07-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Raghfrost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow dude u were willing to risk ur plane just to please the crowd!
maan thats somthing most of us would no do ..

good job making the crowd happy
Old 07-01-2002, 07:40 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll bet you that wasn't an AMA sanctioned event!!
Old 07-01-2002, 10:15 PM
SDCrashmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At our own nonsanctioned event, we spent an afternoon taking potshots at a trainer with a tater gun. Can you say cannon boys and girls. Good thing we were'nt lucky enough to hit it. It would have blowed it up real good.
We should have probably introduced ourselves to the pilot first...maybe next time.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're right, it wasn't sanctioned... but it sure was fun!