Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Joe Nall Commentary

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:06 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Joe Nall Commentary

ORIGINAL: goliath-RCU

Big Snip

I went to a fly in yesterday and a friend brought a 60 size extra for a maiden. i suggested we get the club expert to fly it the first time . the CD suggested someone but he made it very clear that this person would not be held responcible for a crash. this person has won two national titles in aerobatics and he made it clear he wasnt resoncible for a crash. (Durring the test flight one of the ailerons developed a flutter and stripped the servo fortunately the test pilot landeded it with out a crash)

"You break it. .you buy it." is far too narrow minded and doesnt apply in many cases.
Why was he putting a maiden on at a sanctioned flyin? I think the AMA safety code says something about this. That is if it was an AMA event.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the club you were at, Goliath, I'm a member there and know the "National Champ" you are talking about, even a bit aobut the plane and owner. Thing is, the plane was NOT properly pre-flighted IMHO, else the cause of the "flutter" would have been caught before take-off.

Different people have different rules. . MY rule is, I know the plane is as good as it gets. . I know the radio is as good as it gets.. I know the engine is NOT going to quit, and if anything mechanical goes wrong I'm certainly not going to hold the person flying the plane responsible (and I'll see it if it happens). But, you dumb thumb it, come down low when I tell you not to ( I tell everyone there is a 50' hard deck), go over-revving the prop due to poor throttle management, or do something REALLY stupid. . and look at me with that funny look after it crashes, you just bought the plane. Things like running into trees (TWICE!!!) TR'ing near the deck and having the motor burp, or doing stupid low passes in ANY attitude will not only get the TX taken away from you (providing the plane is still flying) but may also result in a good ass-chewing and a thorough examination of your ancestory, mating habits, basic physical properties, and certainly your mental abilities, in very loud and rude terms .

Now, you break it. . you bought it.

I tell everyone that. No one has crashed any of my planes yet, though
Old 05-23-2004, 07:36 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Unless people were in the loop with this Yak crash, you just wont know what we are talking about, the Kids outa control...Period!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:52 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

When did the Yak crash happen,, what day and about what time....
Old 05-24-2004, 04:56 AM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

The first crash was at about 6:15, on Thursday, over the hangar and lake area. The second one was about 8:00 on Saturday, over the far left side of the runway.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:55 PM
mu2driver

Word is they cheesed out of replacing the Yak that Kolby Crashed "Twice". Figures
Old 05-28-2004, 07:22 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Joe Nall Commentary

I saw and have pictures of both crashes. They were spectacular to say the least[X(]
You cant imagine the racket until you experience it_bob
Old 05-28-2004, 09:19 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, thats definately NO GOOD.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:37 AM
mu2driver

You know whats amazing about the first crash, is the plane Hit a fricken Tree and just kept on truckin. Yeah it took a hole the size of a basketball out of the leading edge but, I just cant believe it withstood that kinda abuse...
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I wasn't there, but I keep reading, "The kid is out of control!" etc.

It just seems incredible that anybody, regardless of their generosity, would hand him a TX.

Twice.

Hey, I'm a generous guy, but I do have a little bit of a limit to my generosity. If the kid has some skills and wants to hone them, let him do it on his own plane.

As for paying...if he crashed the guys plane (I think I have done business with Barry..his name sounds familiar..), this should have been resolved (one way or the other) before he ever had a chance to fly it again..

In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
JohnVH

that says something about the plane![8D]
Old 05-28-2004, 10:25 AM
mu2driver

Actually the first time Barry was going to get a new set of wings, but after the second time, well wings are just the tip of the ice-berg...
Old 05-28-2004, 12:52 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is why I never let anyone fly my planes and I almost never fly anyone else's, and if I do it is for maybe 30 seconds to a minute and then I hand it back.

Look at all of the responses about !QUOT!who is responsible!QUOT! under what circumstances.

You guys had better start signing release before you fly anyone else's plane, cause some of these guys think you are responsible no matter what happens if you are holding the TX! I bet a lot of you do not agree with that view, I would suggest working that out ahead of the flight!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:01 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Unfortunatey, the word doesn't travel fast enough through all 600 pilots during a few days. I bet next year, he'll still have a plane or two to crash from unsuspecting pilots []
Old 05-28-2004, 06:12 PM
extra 330

Sorry guys but I have spoken to Barry about this crash. The second crash was not the "kids" fault. The plane went into lockout....

Mike
Old 05-28-2004, 06:27 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Mike,

That seems a bit strange, as I have also spoken to the pilot and plane owner on several occasions after the accident, and there was NEVER any mention of "Lockout" to me. It would seem that if a "Lockout" was the cause, it would have been made aparrent at the time of the crash, not 13 days later in an open forum. The frequency showed clear after the transmitter was turned off, as it was being scanned and shown by a computer monitor.

The reason that I would know this is that I was one of the two frequency coordinators for the event, and I was operating the board at the time of this particular crash. If there are any "Facts" of the crash that you would like to present, please feel free to do so.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:30 PM
JohnVH

FWIW, radio lockouts follow him around..
Old 05-28-2004, 06:57 PM
mu2driver

FWIW, radio lockouts follow him around..
crashes follow him around as well?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:51 PM
sfaust

W.C., if Barry thinks it was a lockout on the second crash, he might have been aware of it from shortly after it happened. This just may be the first 'we' are hearing about it. It could have also been a power issue, which would give the very same indications of a lockout without it being a frequency issue at all, which is why you hadn't noticed anything on the board. None of us will really know for sure. But if Barry is comfortable with it being a lockout and not faulting Kolby, thats his call since it was his airplane. We can only speculate on our end, which is inconclusive at best.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:19 PM
jongurley

I think everyone has learned some important points in this discussion,,,, CoNcLuSiOn ,, let Jonathan Gurley fly your planes next year at Nall , I will be taking appoinments, starting the Thursday flying session at Nall,,
Old 05-29-2004, 12:27 AM
JohnVH

I think there should be some guidelines and questions asked before you let anyone fly your plane..
Old 05-29-2004, 12:54 AM
sfaust

And don't forgot the rest of the questions;

A listing of their liquid assets.
Have they ever flown before.
Where is their car parked.
When is their first born due.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:55 AM
JohnVH

haha, good ones
Old 05-29-2004, 09:00 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Personally, I think it takes a lot of gall to ask somebody to fly their 25/30/35/40% planes. I must be of the older generation that feels that if somebody trusts you with their "stuff" you have a responsibility to get it back to them in the same or better condition----NO MATTER THE REASON!" NO EXCUSES!!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 12:56 PM
jongurley

I don't really think it is anyones place to ask to fly someone else's plane, I wouldn't just for the simple fact of having to replace it, I personally would feel bad, just like running over a little kids puppy or something, I would feel obligated to replace it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.