Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Patriot kit questions

Old 07-05-2002, 01:56 AM
eliav-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot kit questions

I just bought a great planes patriot 40 and was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions, changes or oppinions on this kit. Please repply.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:45 AM
eliav-RCU

Other then the mod you maid for the tank to fit are there any othere changes to it or is it a realy strait forword build and flyer
Old 07-05-2002, 06:23 PM
eliav-RCU

thankyou so much for helping me and assuring me that the patriot can be tamed in other words i just want to say thankyou for helping me out and addressing what i should look out for while building the kit. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2002, 02:44 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

One of the things you can do to increase speed and simplify the building is to leave off the flattened simulated air intakes. Less drag and the plane looks just as good without them. If you want it to go fast a YS .45 with Performance Specialties tuned muffler or a stock Jett .50 are the best choices.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:39 AM
eliav-RCU

Now buy taking off the fake air intakes how much of a significant change will there be at full speeds. I thought that it wouldn't make that much of a difference when the model is at full speed. But of course I might be wrong.

I was thinking of putting in a jet 90L as a power-plant with an apc 9.75x12 to achieve blistering speeds of up to or around 200mph. What do you think??

Check out this web site a guy with a patriot powered by a jet 90L sed that he went 190mph. Check it out, it is in the hall of fame section!!! www.jettengineering.com
Old 07-07-2002, 04:55 AM
eliav-RCU

Aptar!!! what kind of engine are you running and what prop are you using. I heard that a streamline plane (like the patriot) and the right prop could really make the whole difference...
Old 07-08-2002, 01:22 AM
Steve Collins

Default Patriot Questions

Now buy taking off the fake air intakes how much of a significant change will there be at full speeds. I thought that it wouldn't make that much of a difference when the model is at full speed.
Given two patriots with the exact same setup except that one has the intakes and one does not, the one without them will be faster. It is difficult to know exactly how much difference it makes unless you radar the same plane with them on and with them off. Not really a practical way but the only one to measure the difference accurately. Suffice it to say that it would probably make several MPH difference. But then, if maximum speed isn't your thing, go ahead and put the useless, draggy, simulated intakes on the plane.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:07 AM
vegas mossie

But how do you really feel aptar?... LOL
Old 07-08-2002, 02:55 AM
eliav-RCU

The jet 90L is really just a .60 sized engine with allot of power and it doesn't way that much so i don't think that I will have problems with the setup it is just that I want to make the wing and fuse a little bit stronger but I don't know exactly were. I was thinking of putting a carbon rod in back of the main spar of the wing and one through all of the ribs but i don't know if it will help or just add on useless weight.

I am looking for high speeds but i don't know I think that the intakes look cool and thats really the only reason for me leaving them on, but thats my opinion. I was also thinking of making three (1/2") holes in each rib to reduce weight, maybe to compensate for the carbon Rod but i don't know if it will be structurally safe. O and I decided to put hobbico retracts in but take the standard landing gear given in the kit and fit it to the retracts so that they will be stronger and less flimsy...

Did I mention that I'm only 15 1/2 yrs but don't think of me like that...And yes I have logged the flight hour's!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 05:18 AM
eliav-RCU

Thanks for the info, but can i run something by you. I just thought of a good idea and it wont add on more weight (mabey a few oz.). So, anyways I was thinking of first sheeting the wing as usual and then buying fiberglass cloth like what they build lite aircrafts from or something like that and then cover the sheeting and the LE aswell as wraping is around the spars befor putting them in. I think that just like your idea with the carbon fibers this would work aswell. Which do you think would be the easeyist, and or strongest? Oh hey what do you think about what I wrote about earler with cuting three (1/2") holes in each rib? Thanks!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 04:26 PM
eliav-RCU

Q500 what do you mean by glass the mid section of the wing and could you maybe give me step by step on how to put carbon fibers on the outer edges of the spar. I didn't really follow... Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2002, 05:29 PM
rbeck
My Feedback: (6)

Default Patriot Kit

AQ500:

I have a patriot nib. 75 dollars and she is yours!

rbeck
Old 07-08-2002, 06:46 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Don't go with the Hobbico retracts if you're on grass. My buddy has had nothing but trouble with his.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Steve Collins

If you build it stock and follow the directions, it will be plenty strong enough for whatever speeds you are likely to reach. I honestly believe you will have a faster Patriot with the Jett .50 since it is a much higher revving engine than the Jett .90 light. The plane will be significantly lighter with the .50. If you go ahead and put the .90 in it, you better be prepared to put lots of lead weight in the tail to balance it. It will be much easier to build using the .50 size engine since it will fit the plane without modification.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:20 PM
eliav-RCU

Today I actually called jett and talked to one of the guys ( great customer service) and he said that with the jett 90L I would need to put in allot of time in making it not so temper mental and he also said that the jett 50 would be a better choice just like you. So, yes I think I am going to go with the jett 50 with a 9x8 prop. That should be fast right? I cant wait till i get my kit and start to build it. Ill take pictures of it while I'm building so ou all can see the progress. Thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 06:26 AM
seller20

Old 07-09-2002, 10:03 AM
rbeck
My Feedback: (6)

Default Patriot Kit

I didn't realize those kits had gold in them. I should have asked more for mine.

rbeck
Old 07-10-2002, 04:01 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default ARF?

How strong are the ARF Patriots? I was also thinking of glassing the wing saddle for strength, but does it really need it?

Also, back to the retracts... What are you all (y'all) using on the Patriot? I will be on pavement thank goodness

We need a whole web-site for Patriot drivers!!

james
Old 07-10-2002, 04:15 AM
eliav-RCU

I had so many problems with my retracts on my ultra sport and I fly off of carpet. They always seem to bend in until i took the standard landin gear that were given in the kit and cut it to the specifications of the retracts and that made them much stronger and I have never had any problems since.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:27 AM
eliav-RCU

AQ500

I have a question?? You know how the hotspot ( a turbine jet) has an air brake that comes out from the turtle deck behind the cock-pit, well anyways I was planing to do the same thing on the patriot so that I would be able to do nose high landings and really get my airspeed down without adding allot of weight by adding dual ailerons. What do you think????
Old 07-13-2002, 02:55 AM
eliav-RCU

AQ500 Please reapply
Old 07-13-2002, 04:04 AM
eliav-RCU

Why are you choosing the jet 60L. I am still deciding which jett engine to choose and was wondering with the jet 60L what speeds do you think you will reach and with what prop...
Old 07-14-2002, 02:10 AM
eliav-RCU

Well I think that a jett 50 would be really good with a 9x8 prop for a patriot anyway, and that if buy the jet you can always lower the rpm at the beginning by buying a stock muffler to lower the rpm so that you can get a feel for the plane and it would cost less then buying a whole tuned pipe setup... Well I don't know I'm only 15 1/2..... I'm going to shut up now!