Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Ranger2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets

Can Masking Tape be used as head gasket material? Engine in question is a K&B 40 areo. I'm going through glow plugs (Hanger9 sport plugs) like mad and was going to attempt to reduce compression a bit by using a head gasket. I've been using Sig 10% nitro and first will try 5%. If that doesn't work I'll have to go with a head gasket.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:03 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default Head gaskets

NO MASKING TAPE!!! Go to your nearest auto supply store and buy some brass shim stock. You can make a head gasket with a little patience. To punch the holes for the head bolts to pass through use a regular leather punch. The rest of the cutting can probably be done with an Xacto knife.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:03 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Head gaskets

No tape please. If you don't have a place to get copper a piece of pop can will work but wont last as long as
the copper. Have you tried a Fox plug with the idle bar? later daveo
Old 06-13-2003, 11:23 PM
Shihtzutan

Default Head gaskets

You're probably running it too lean., but if you want to reduce compression, go from a RC long to an RC short glow plug. You can also double up on the glow plug gasket.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:38 AM
Ranger2000

Default Head gaskets

Thanks for the replies. Where can you buy Fox idle bar plugs anymore. I always used them in the past but can no longer get them. I was told that they're not made anymore and have noticed that few companies are offering an idle bar plug. In fact, I've not found any in a long plug. I'll avoid the tape. As far as running lean, I believe this to be the problem also but I'm having a problem with midrange when I richen it. I blame most of my adjustment problem on the needle valve. Seems I always have problems with adjustment when the needle valve is independent from the carb. They might be safer, but I hate 'em and will never buy another engine that has them. Thanks again to all.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:43 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default Head gaskets

The last idle bar plugs I got were from RJL. They sell K&B, Mecoa, and HP engines to name a few. They are listed in the classified section of most model magazines. They are listed in the August issue of Model Airplane News on page 97 under Mecoa. Website is www.mecoa.com. They list both long and short reach idle bar plugs at $3.90 or a card of 12 for $35.10.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:31 AM
3 Channel Brain

Default Head gaskets

Recommend 1 piece not layers --less to leak alum roof flashing is about .020 & is usable--the softer metal the better.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head gaskets

K&B sold a set of different thicknesses head gaskets for the 40. Check with Frank Bowman at [email protected]. He has a bunch of K&B parts, and also makes rings and gaskets.

Jim