Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Sort of Off Topic__XP Pro, Lost my settings

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sort of Off Topic__XP Pro, Lost my settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 09:17 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sort of Off Topic__XP Pro, Lost my settings

Since my R/C favorites at work[X(] are on my XP machine, and I'm not a network genius, I thought maybe this would be OK here?
I am not a network know it all. At the office we have a network and our guy is away naturally. I tried what I thought would keep anyone sitting at my desk from being able to view my folders and I lost my settings. I am concerned, mostly because I don't understand that part of XP?
I will describe what I did. My question primarily is, Are the settings lost forever when you make a mistake such as mine, or are they on the disk somewhere, and it takes someone who know where to find them to get them back for me?
Basically I went into the documents and settings folder with my name on it.
There were three items in the folder, admin, my sign on, and system.
What I did was to deny the admin and system and left my sign on as "allow" thinking no one else would be able to see my folders etc.
Now I can't get my old settings and desktop back and am sick about it.
The system also created a similar folder to my original one that will not work for me either.
Maybe this is not an easy fix and I'm sunk, but with the talent on this board I had to try.
I will answer any other questions if you think it will help.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sort of Off Topic__XP Pro, Lost my settings

Use "system restore", and put the computer back the way it was.

> Start
> Control Panel
> Switch to category view
> Performance and maintenance
> System restore

Follow the prompts. Set the thing when you know the computer was OK and
it will restore itself to that time.

Dave.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:17 AM
bob_nj

Thanks Dave. I will certainly give it a try. If it works, I'll deliver you a pizza! Will you be home later[X(]
Old 05-22-2004, 06:06 AM
bob_nj

Thanks for the tip Dave. It wouldn't let me restore to a previous date for whatever reason, but I've still learned something.
We are on an updated system here and things are being installed and removed frequently. Maybe that's part of the reason for not letting me, I don't know?
I was able to find some of my old files and can at least work with them a little.
It looks like when I denied the admin rights the very first time, the system created another file for me that was very similar but just a little bit different than my original one. That's the one it is using now, even though full rights are restored on both.
Seems like I just confused the computer and it's lashing out at me[]
Thanks again for the tip_bob