Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Club field gone, I have the money!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club field gone, I have the money!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club field gone, I have the money!

Ok i am still the treasurer and secretary of a club that lost their field 3 years ago and we got a temporary field 2 years ago that nobody likes. The club hasnt had a meeting for 1 1/2 years and last time i went to the field the owner had ripped the saftey fence out because no one has been there and mowed or flown for 1 1/2 years. The officers are still in by "default" i suppose since there were no elections the past 2 years. We have a couple grand in our account and im wondering what should be done with it. Nothing? Donate to charity? buy myself a brand new DA150? Give it to a nearby club? At least half the club has joined the other club anyways and the older gentlemen that were in the club are having fun flying indoors and have no interest in comming back to an outdoor field!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Club field gone, I have the money!

I would either fix the old field and get it running or donate to the other club and get that club a nice facelift.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
J_R

Did you have by-laws that determined how the club assets would be disposed of in the event of dissolution?

I would at least contact the other club officers and determine what to do with the money. If you were incorporated, there may be laws determining what can be done. I would not do anything without, at least, the other officers helping in making a decision.

A charity might be a good choice. The AMA also accepts donations.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:13 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Donate it to AMA

Jerry
Old 05-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Constrictor

The AMA is the last place id donate any money those #@#@#%$&^$%^ people. I am the treasurer and secretary. The vise pres flies indoors now and ive asked him and he dont care. The pres keeps sayin were gonna get a new field next week for 1 1/2 years now. I am just curious what should be done. We didnt even have any bylaws until the AMA said we had to have some and we just adopted the AMA bylaws with only 2-3 people voting. The bylaws say nothing about club dissolusionment. We did not even renew AMA charter this year either
Old 05-30-2004, 03:29 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Isn't the obvious thing to give the money back to the members? You should have a membership list, and can determine how much each person's share is based on the number of years they've been with the club.

Along those lines, why haven't you called a meeting to discuss this? It's not nearly the moral quandary you seem to be thinking it is.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Constrictor

This is not a moral quandary to me. We hasvent had a meeting for a year and a half and we were having a problem getting more than 2 people to shop up for a meeting for a year before that. Its not a big deal, i'll probably just sit on it but i was just asking what people in these circumstances have done or would do.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:05 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Same thing happened to us, but we own our field. After a couple of years of no interest and doing the mowing myself, now we have a club again. Our treasurer just kept the money to pay taxes and stuff until the club got rolling again. Now that the club is back up, we have a nice little bit of operating capital.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:12 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

You'll have to excuse us outsiders... because we can only read your story and form our own opinions.
To me... it sounded exactly like you wanted us to tell you to take the money and spend it on yourself.

This is the sort of thing that you should have a meeting about. At least all officers... at best, "everyone".
Why not just send out a flyer or an email to every member, (However newsletters were handled before)
calling for a meeting to determine what should be done with the club, and the remaining money.
Make decisions at that time. If the president still says there's a club, and still wants to seek a new field,
and there aren't enough dissenters at the meeting to shoot it down, then perhaps you should resign as
sec/treasurer, and sign the account over to the president in the meantime.
Edit: That's "if" you don't feel like sitting on it any longer. (Meant to put that part in, the first time.)
Old 05-30-2004, 04:21 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Hello Steve

I would put together a club fun fly designed to renew interest in the club or dispurse funds through prizes and drawings. Maybe you or Gary could win a new 10X
Old 05-30-2004, 04:39 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our club lost our field as well, and interest has dwindled also. We still have a few dollars in the treasury and very few interested members. The club officers all agreed to keep the money in and account and all officers will remain in office, with nothing to do, until we can get our field back, or at least regenerate the club. Pretty much just remain in a holding pattern as of the time the field was lost. We hope to get our field back at some point since it is an operational Naval Auxiliary Field, that we been asked to vacate due to national security issues.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Constrictor

Hey Littlecrank, where you from? how do you know us?
Old 05-30-2004, 04:58 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Steve

This is Mark. Know you from the Extreme 3-D club Fly ins at Merigold MS. and the Pro Bros in Houston. I am an old friend of Chris err... Charley Brown in Springfield. Last time I seen you I gave you my screen name here and was sure by the laugh you might remember...
Old 05-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds simple to me. I think you should have a meeting of the members last in office. If the club can't be reactivated, officially dissolve the club and distribute the funds per the bylaws. If the bylaws do not cover this, the board should vote to distribute the funds equally to the members per the last membership list.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Constrictor

Hey Mark, good to hear from ya! I was just talking to Chris about you yesterday at the HobbyTown where he is the manager. He said he missed you guys!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

Bank it. They guys i flew with 20 years ago have been through at least three cycles such as you have. They have obtained and lost fields and the same few start ups always surface again to find a new field and new members. just bank the funds so you will have startup funds when its time to re-start.

My .02