Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Some Buyers Are Just "Begging For it."

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Some Buyers Are Just "Begging For it."

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some Buyers Are Just "Begging For it."

*I was sniffing around in the market place for a possible Gasser in the near future and wanted to see what up. I came across a G-45 being sold by "Alex24." He placed his ad near the beginning of May. Some usual responses but one guy was very interested and IMHO was a buyer. Well The buyer is rightfully upset because Alex has not responded in about 3 weeks

* That in itself is a clue right their to blow it off. Number two is the reason why he is selling the engine which is "Moving to the United States." Not saying this guy is a scammer but he is definitely not putting in any effort to sell this thing.

* I would also think the Moderators out to delete these types of postings where no effort is being put out by sellers in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:54 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Some Buyers Are Just "Begging For it."

Yep, that happens outside of the r/c world too. I can remember a few times where I wanted info on something and some sellers never replied.

By the way, you must be using those irreversible valves to get the hardovers.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's only 3 more G45's to pick from that are not sold, maybe he should try to purchase one of those. There are many valid reasons why a seller does not respond, pick one and deal with it.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:41 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If no response.......ahh..... I just consider it sold and move on. I know what'ya mean though....go new...it may take a bit longer to get it because of saving more $$$ for it, but it's almost as long just trying to find one in good condition for decent price. It only happens when your NOT looking for it. Try that..hehe .
Old 06-03-2004, 05:50 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

*I was sniffing around in the market place for a possible Gasser....snip.....
I just thought that was a funny sentence.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I didn't do that on purpose but yeh that is rather funny.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It does make for an interesting mental picture.....
Old 06-03-2004, 11:55 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

BB, i always get a laugh from you. lol

sean
Old 06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Just watch some people at your local field break in their engines and you'll never want to buy a used one again. Cut to the chase...I helped this guy stumble through plumbing his YS110. He just couldn't seem to get it right. Well we finally got the plumbing right. Then I tell him that he should run it at 4000 RPM very rich. Well I don't know what he set his needle at but I helped him start it. Then he finally gets it running and leans it out and proceeds to hit full throttle. I was standing there thinking, what are you doing? But I just let him, it's his engine. Well he seized it up right there and then. Came to an instant stop and shredded the prop hub.

People just don't want to read the instructions. Don't buy used engines.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:22 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Joe, Joe, Joe, All Poodles are dogs, but all dogs are not Poodles you know. I have seen many people, and as a matter of fact most people at the fields cherish there new engines, and as a whole do there best to break them in right. I would not hesitate to purchase a used engine from anyone at our field. There is always one idiot and sometimes more at any field. Just as there is at least one Poodle in every Dog Show.

Now, how's yu mama and them ?
Old 06-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Consider this: Most modelers sell engines because they believe that something is wrong with the engine.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:35 PM
rc247

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

*I was sniffing around in the market place for a possible Gasser....snip.....
I just thought that was a funny sentence.

ROFLMAO!
Old 06-04-2004, 12:04 PM
ballgunner

To me used engines or radios are like used cars. Unless the seller has a convincing story about why he is selling I'm gone. I will buy used when I know the seller but never from an ad without a seller's rating attached and especially when I don't receive a reply in a resonable time.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Hold up guys the classic,,,,, go on ebay or even on here,,,, I.E. I have this O.S 46(etc) engine that has only TWO tanks of gas thru it, barely broken in... or another,,,, I bought this motor from a friend and I don't need it,,,,,, or another .. I bought this motor to go on a project but I don't have time for it,,, or finally a classic,, I found this motor in my grandfathers shop has been setting there for several years, I have no need for it.... I garauntee if you go and look on ebay or here the used or new motors for sale ,,, 80% of them will have one of these four reponses... have you guys noticed this...
Old 06-04-2004, 04:51 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Made an offer on a smoke pump 3 days ago--- no response at all---(time to withdraw) As for buying engines and radio equip, I have never been stuck here on RCU or on RCO-- but the trading ratings or personal knowledge goes a long way in my decision making. (PS-- don't by anything from Jongurley-- he can break a crankshaft in stright and level flight)
Old 06-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover

We have a guy at our field who stufs them on a regular basis. Strips the plane down at the field and rinses the dirt off under the water faucet! (Seriously)

ORIGINAL: H. Wayne S

Joe, Joe, Joe, All Poodles are dogs, but all dogs are not Poodles you know. I have seen many people, and as a matter of fact most people at the fields cherish there new engines, and as a whole do there best to break them in right. I would not hesitate to purchase a used engine from anyone at our field. There is always one idiot and sometimes more at any field. Just as there is at least one Poodle in every Dog Show.

Now, how's yu mama and them ?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:57 PM
daven

I agree with Joe.

I would not buy a used engine from anyone, unless I knew the person and the engine. There are too many bad, or "not great" engines being sold as Like New, or bench run only.

As to washing the engine off in the faucet, its really not a big deal. As long as afterwards you completely disassemble the engine and clean and lubricate every part with a toothbrush. I do this quite often with (ahem) crashed Nelson Engines, and it is not a problem if you are willing to finish the job.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes a guy will sell an engine because it is too small for the intended plane. I just recently bought a U-Can-Do 3D from a friend. It's the 60 size plane and the motor is a .91 Saito. The engine is too small at this altitude. Plane won't hover- even at full throttle.

So, I tried to sell the engine here at RCU. One guy offered me $30 less than what I was asking. Another guy made me an offer at my asking price- but then backed out because I didn't get right back to him. Sometimes a person is away from the PC for a few days and people will retract offers. We don't all live at our PC. We do have lives outside the hobby. I wanted to sell my engine to the guy who made me a good offer, but he withdrew his offer before I could get back to him.

I hate all the low ball offers that I usually get from people on stuff. I know that everyone is looking for a good deal, but some guys make offers that are downright insulting.

IMO- some BUYERS are really aksing for it--- a knuckle sandwich, that is.

For example, I've got a plane that I've tried to sell here on more than one occasion. Only reason I'm trying to sell it is that I've recently had to take a job for significantly less money. I just can't afford to fly this plane anymore.

I've flown it about 12 times. Its absolutely beautiful. Flawless. It's got all the best linkages and top of the line electronics.

I've got OVER $1000 invested in the plane- and I have it for sale for $600. I get offers all the time for $400-- and I pay for shipping. That really gets under my skin.

I tried to sell a NIB engine about a year ago. It would usually retail for just over $400 at any hobby shop or online retailer. I had my price set at $325 and offered the original sales reciept. I got offers as low as $150 for that engine. Best offer I ever got was $275. It's frustrating. I wound up keeping the engine.

I've decided to let my current adds here at RCU run out and then I will probably NOT sell anything again. I figure- once I've spent my money on something, I'll never even be able to get 1/2 that amount back on it. So, I'll just keep my stuff and use it on another project later. No sense in letting some schmuck steal it from me for less than 1/2 what I paid for it.

I'd be embarrassed, frankly, to offer a guy a rediculously low amount for his item in the marketplace. IMO- if you see something you want, and it's priced right- then buy it and don't hassle the guy over $10 or $20.

Maybe some day, I'll have a shop full of kits and engines. Eventually, one of them kits is going to be the right size for that engine I've had sitting around for 5 years.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:55 PM
AJF--2

RE: Some Buyers Are Just "Begging ... (in reply to daven) Report This Post | (Post No. 18)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes a guy will sell an engine because it is too small for the intended plane. I just recently bought a U-Can-Do 3D from a friend. It's the 60 size plane and the motor is a .91 Saito. The engine is too small at this altitude. Plane won't hover- even at full throttle.

So, I tried to sell the engine here at RCU. One guy offered me $30 less than what I was asking. Another guy made me an offer at my asking price- but then backed out because I didn't get right back to him. Sometimes a person is away from the PC for a few days and people will retract offers. We don't all live at our PC. We do have lives outside the hobby. I wanted to sell my engine to the guy who made me a good offer, but he withdrew his offer before I could get back to him.

I hate all the low ball offers that I usually get from people on stuff. I know that everyone is looking for a good deal, but some guys make offers that are downright insulting.

IMO- some BUYERS are really aksing for it--- a knuckle sandwich, that is.

For example, I've got a plane that I've tried to sell here on more than one occasion. Only reason I'm trying to sell it is that I've recently had to take a job for significantly less money. I just can't afford to fly this plane anymore.

I've flown it about 12 times. Its absolutely beautiful. Flawless. It's got all the best linkages and top of the line electronics.

I've got OVER $1000 invested in the plane- and I have it for sale for $600. I get offers all the time for $400-- and I pay for shipping. That really gets under my skin.

It is true-- there is no resale value at this time on used planes. Somethings however blow my mind! Like the guy who sells the Brison 2.4 with muffler for $400 when the engine new is only $374 and the muffler is only $40. At Joe Nall I could not get a nibble on my Decathalon at $650 RTF less receiver-- However 30-40% planes were changing hands regularly. Go Figure!

Sometimes a person is away from the PC for a few days and people will retract offers. We don't all live at our PC. We do have lives outside the hobby. I wanted to sell my engine to the guy who made me a good offer, but he withdrew his offer before I could get back to him.
Here is where I have a difference of opinion. If you place an ad here or anywhere else, I see it as "Open for business"----so a person makes an offer and then gets no response. Are we "Open for business or not?" I suppose it goes back to the frustration of having $400 of stuff in my cart at WalMart and then I have to wait in line for 20 minutes to give them my money. When people want to buy, they want somebody to take their money now.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:07 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: AJF--2
When people want to buy, they want somebody to take their money now.
Gotta agree with that one. If you're going to be away and non-responsive, pull the ad
until you return. (Just like a business closing for the night turns off their "OPEN" sign)
At the very least... make a post below your ad that says, "OUT OF TOWN, BACK ON XX/XX/XX".

I tried to buy a YS .63 on here once, and had the money in hand, but couldn't get any response.
It's frustrating. I only allow about a 36 hour window before deciding someone just isn't interested in selling.
If I don't get a response by then, I start to wonder if I'll get any post-sale response if there's a problem.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:40 PM
BasinBum

Internet forums are not dependant on everyone being online at one time to interact. I think Marc refered to it as asynchronis communication and it's what makes the forums work. If someone doesn't answer your post or ad right away and you get upset you don't understand the nature and advantage of Internet advertising/ communicating.

Just cause you got money burning a hole in your pocket doesn't mean someone is sitting at their monitor to suit your time frame.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Jim Thomerson

I read somewhere that 85% of used engines have less than one hour running time. I've bought a number (more than I need) of used engines off auction sites and have generally been pleased. I've been stung once, but I think the seller didn't know what the engine was like inside. However, the engine is so weird and interesting that I don't regret the purchase. I buy mostly older engines, including diesels. I have bought a few modern RC engines, but what I look for there is cheap junkers that I can use for parts or put together a good engine out of two or three.

Jim
Old 06-06-2004, 11:20 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Internet forums are not dependant on everyone being online at one time to interact. I think Marc refered to it as asynchronis communication and it's what makes the forums work. If someone doesn't answer your post or ad right away and you get upset you don't understand the nature and advantage of Internet advertising/ communicating.
I assure you that I understand, entirely too well, the nature of internet advertising/communicating.
I've been at it long enough, and made enough friends & enemies to know the net very thoroughly, thanks
Those engaged in ongoing conversation or negotiation generally don't go three days between posts or emails.

Just cause you got money burning a hole in your pocket doesn't mean someone is sitting at their monitor to suit your time frame.
That's true... but it doesn't mean I have to wait until it's convenient for them, either.
As the buyer in that case, I can simply walk away. Maybe they'll sell it to someone else. Good for them, if so.
I like to see a bit more motivation. (For instance, returning email within 12 hours, if you have an item for sale)

I don't mind walking away from those who can't take two minutes to check email when they wake up, or once
before they hit the bed for the day. No hard feelings, but if they want my money, they'll pay more attention.
Obviously emergencies and "real life" intervene for all of us sometimes- but if you "know" you're slow to answer,
or that you'll be out of town for a week, or whatever... at least give us the courtesy of stating such, in your ads.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:44 PM
BasinBum

Can't disagree with you Watkins, it all comes down to communication. Nobody is committed to anything untill the money has been exchanged.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:25 AM
AJF--2

If someone doesn't answer your post or ad right away and you get upset you don't understand the nature and advantage of Internet advertising/ communicating.

Do a search on Dave Patrick and you will discover 2 things about his business.
1-He designs and builds the best ARFs on the market
2-He has the reputation for some of the ABSOULTE WORST customer service in RC

The nature of his customer service isues is not that planes are falling apart and people are demanding satification. It is neglected emails and slow shipping. Granted, we are not all in the RC business for a living, but as a customer we all expect to receive a little respect (such as an aknowledgement within 24 hours) when we are doing business. Think about it for a moment-- We are about to send hundreds of dollars (possibly) to a person we probably do not know for an item we have not seen (except for maybe a picture) or else held in our hand. That is putting a lot of trust in "the unknown". NOW-- If the "Unknown" does not show enough interest in the buyer to respond in a reasonable amount of time--(insert your own standard here--I have mine-you have yours)--well-- let's just say there are other options. If he is that slow to respond to emails, how slow is he going to be in shipping your order. We do not tolerate such practices from Sears, Walmart, Target, etc and when the RC World treats us that way, we are quick to post it here on RCU.

Bottom Line-- TO EACH HIS OWN. Live and let live-- but don't expect me to buy anything from you. If that is OK with you, then it is OK with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.