Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Stupid Warning Labels On RC Kits

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Stupid Warning Labels On RC Kits

Old 06-26-2002, 05:51 PM
Ptarmigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Warning Labels On RC Kits

Everytime I get parts for my RC airplane, I see warning labels that say this substance is known to cause cancer in the state of California. Even on servos, transmitter, and glowheads, which don't have any substances. Even on the Sig Kadet LT-40 pacakging. What is up with that. I really hate those wacky warning labels. How can a servos, glowhead, transmitter, or even airplane kit cause cancer? This is junk science at its worst !!
Old 06-26-2002, 05:56 PM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Stupid Warning Labels On RC Kits

Originally posted by Ptarmigan
Everytime I get parts for my RC airplane, I see warning labels that say this substance is known to cause cancer in the state of California. !!
You could cross the border backwards and become an illegal alien in Mexico. They don’t worry about such trivial things

Actually they fed 25 glow plugs to a lab rat. It died. They forgot to disconnect the glow driver,... but they didn't mind they could not get the dam_n rat to idle right anyway :stupid:
Old 06-26-2002, 06:59 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Yet another fan of Proposition 65..............

Chomped down on any NiCad packs lately????
Old 06-26-2002, 06:59 PM
Unstable

some of my favorite warnings.

on ski slope

Caution: Collision with natural or man made objects can cause catastrophic injury or death.

on paintball gun pakage

Do not put barrel in your mouth then discharge paintball gun.

(it then went on to say that "yes we know it is a stupid warning but someone tried it and so we have to have this here etc etc"
Old 06-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Jim_McIntyre

<snip> substance is known to cause cancer in the state of California<snip>
Simple solution. Do what I do and stay the h*ll out of California.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

They should just say that Los Angeles causes cancer. Everytime I washed my hair it smelled like a cross between Marlboro ciggerettes and casodillas.
"BREATHING IN LA CAN CAUSE LUNG CANCER"
Old 06-26-2002, 08:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just waitin' for that big earthquake, then we won't have to worry about what stuff does to Californians anymore.
PS... To get that rat to idle properly, try using 15% nitro
Old 06-26-2002, 08:19 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

How bout the warning on Prep H...."Do not take this orally"
Old 06-26-2002, 08:46 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Aeromodeling Cancer

Well actually, aeromodeling in test cases has been shown to cause 'Cancer of the Wallet'.

John
Old 06-26-2002, 09:03 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Warning!!!!! Do not stab yourself with a #11 blade, tests have shown that it can cause bodily harm and you may bleed and require stitches. This warning is null and void if you don't live in California!!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 09:34 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Whats really sad is all these ridiculous warnings are the result of a court awarding some fool millions of dollars because he did something like drink Drano because there was no warning on it telling him not to. I hope some rc'er somewhere hasn't tried to sue a prop company because there was no warning about how he could lose a finger. Makes you wonder
Old 06-26-2002, 09:53 PM
Herb-RCU

I am waiting (not in a good way) for all states to require warning labels on things. Then, you would get your battery packs and they would be just plastered with "Warning".

I must say that I love Northern CA. Southern CA just drags the rest of CA down with it!

Herb
Old 06-26-2002, 10:15 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I detect envy. This place is paradise. Anyone who says So. Cal. drags the rest down, hasn't been to San Diego. 20 some odd years, had to cancel golf once because of weather. Can fly any damm day we please. Go ahead and freeze your arse off. Funny how, in the middle of winter, everyone wishes they were here. Must be acceptable weather everywhere right now. Chill with the CA cracks, or we'll start in on your state. And believe me...Ya'll don't want that there now, do ya'll?
Old 06-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

oh yea, SanDiego where the traffic jams never cease, the air is so thick ya can cut it with a knife,and the local store owners jack up prices when they see a salior comming, at least this is what I hear from the navy boys serving there, paradise, well maybe.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:38 PM
Flying Scotsman

Originally posted by rc_sport
Whats really sad is all these ridiculous warnings are the result of a court awarding some fool millions of dollars because he did something like drink Drano because there was no warning on it telling him not to. I hope some rc'er somewhere hasn't tried to sue a prop company because there was no warning about how he could lose a finger. Makes you wonder
Fool? awarded millions?

I can't see the fools for the warnings!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:01 PM
hawkpilot

Originally posted by GrnBrt
Warning!!!!! Do not stab yourself with a #11 blade, tests have shown that it can cause bodily harm and you may bleed and require stitches. This warning is null and void if you don't live in California!!!!

Stitches???? AHHHHHHH, no wonder my thumb wouldnt stop bleeding. Guess if I lived in Cali, I would know about the stitches.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:03 PM
SDCrashmaster

Default Oh Really?

oh yea, SanDiego where the traffic jams never cease, the air is so thick ya can cut it with a knife, and the local store owners jack up prices when they see a salior comming, at least this is what I hear from the navy boys serving there, paradise, well maybe.

Well , I'm not up to speed on current tattoo pricing.
Prices and rushhour traffic are commonplace in any large metropolitan area.
Never seen the air you mentioned. can you find out where that was? I'd like to take my kids to see it.

Civilized 80 degree paradise over the remote, coldass backwoods of nowhere anytime.

Anyone who has ever visited here knows that there is absolutely no need to defend this neck of the woods. Any neck who has ever visited here probably noticed a lack of Nascar excitement, and hurried his arse back to podunk.
And hopefully, that's where he'll remain.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:12 PM
hawkpilot

Come on now....no turf wars. Stick to stupid warning labels
Old 06-26-2002, 11:19 PM
SDCrashmaster

Sorry...jus represent in'
Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 PM
hawkpilot

Ite then, Peace out.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Tommygun

I saw a pretty good one this weekend when I rented a self-feed wood chipper. It showed a bunch of "obvious don't" illustrations within red circles with the diagonal line going through it. One of them was of a person on hands and knees crawling into the machine pushing debris into the cutting blades. Nobodys that stupid.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:20 AM
Jazzy

Morons are everywhere!
Nobody that stupid huh? I went to HS with a kid who stuck his foot in a running lawn mower-just to see what would happen! (Of course he was a little challenged upstairs. You know; a few apples (quite a few apparently) shy of a bushel, not the sharpest tool in the shed, not one of God's brighter lights, dumb as a box of rocks, etc, etc...)
Remember there are those that think common sense is akin to ESP and mindreading. Or some out-of-date currency.

Although I do admit almost everything seems to cause cancer in CA or if enough was pumped/dumped into a lab rat it got cancer. No slam intended. CA is just trying to keep the state clean, healthy, and insurance premiums down.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:49 AM
Someone11-RCU

Everytime I get parts for my RC airplane, I see warning labels that say this substance is known to cause cancer in the state of California. Even on servos, transmitter, and glowheads, which don't have any substances. Even on the Sig Kadet LT-40 pacakging. What is up with that. I really hate those wacky warning labels. How can a servos, glowhead, transmitter, or even airplane kit cause cancer? This is junk science at its worst !!
Now a day everything causes cancer.... even lightpoles.... geez!
Old 06-27-2002, 12:27 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

www.darwinawards.com

That will tell ya everything ya need to know and more about morons..........These people have made their contribution to the gene pool, by taking themselves out of it. Most, if not all have done it in very, shall we say "unique" methods.

They also have some "honorable mentions". Those who tried, but didnt quite seal the deal.........

Check it out.

Two of my current favorites are, the guy who tried to open a hand grenade with a chainsaw (so he could use the explosives for fireworks), and the moron (cant really call him a man or a guy after his actions)..well, just read You said a mouthful, and wince.......
Old 06-27-2002, 12:42 PM
jharkin

How can a servos, glowhead, transmitter, or even airplane kit cause cancer? This is junk science at its worst !!

First off, I'll grant you that these warnings are usually the result of some idiot doing something that defies common sense and then expecting to get paid for it. If it wasn't for the lawsuit happy climate in this country you would have to read warning like "caution, coffee is hot"...

However, I wouldn't doubt that all those things could contain carcinogens. The warnings refer to chemicals used in the production of these items. Electronics production (ie the PCB's in the servos/transmitter/receiver) is very hazardous, using all kinds of nasty chemicals and acids. There is always a VERY MINUTE possibility that traces of these chemicals remain on the boards. Also, the electronic components themselves contain substances that would not be too healthy.

The same goes for glowplugs and engines. I doubt the platinum in the electrode is very good for you, not too mention that plating processes used with engine liners use all kinds of acids and poisonous chemicals.

Not junk science, just overcautious companies afraid of being sued out of existence.

-Jeremy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.