The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Strange issue of R/C's

Old 07-07-2002, 05:43 AM
FCC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Strange issue of R/C's

I have seen lots of people including the experienced ones that during flying they don't feel comfortable with their aircaft and continuously remain in tension during flying. I think this is not enjoyment ruther a struggle to survive the plane.

On the other hand few people really enjoy this hobby and feel really comfortable with their aircrafts.

I think this is related in selecting the right plane according to your temprament. I have seen people that are impressed by the outlook of the aircrafts and decided to get one without the knowlege that how this will fly and will they be comfortable with that.

I fly CG Super Chipmunk and really feels comfortable but I have also flown CAP, Extra, Edge etc. They really fly well but I am always in tension while fling these planes.

Any Comments....................
Old 07-07-2002, 06:07 AM
J roc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default butterflies

I too get nervous sometimes flying. Its like public speaking, the more often you do it the more confident you become. Also It greatly depends on who is at the field at the time, If someone is really confident and flies with little concern for that gusty crosswind some of that confidence might rub off. Finally I believe it is a habit that begins when you first learn to fly. If your instructor is tense and makes you feel nervous this habit could last a lifetime. Thats why I feel it is very important that one has an easygoing relaxed instructor that is going to keep the student calm and enjoy flying.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:17 AM
robert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I find that I am a little nervous when I first start it, and Taxi to the Runway, better after that, I'm alright.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:31 AM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I GET NERVOUS FLYING A NEW PLANE THAT I JUST BUILT.BUT THATS ABOUT IT. BUT LIKE RED ROVER SAYS IT THE GUYS YOU FLY WITH THAT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. MOST ALL THE GUYS I FLY WITH MAKE YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE. THERE IS SOME GUYS THOUGH. [ YOU KNOW THE ONES THAT CAN'T FLY. THAT JUST SIT THERE AND CRITICIZE ]. THEY ARE A PITA.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:57 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i do sometimes get nervous, normally just after a tail touh that almost went wrong, or something like that, but when i fly my Cougar all on my own, i really relax and just free style what ever i feel, thats when my flying is best.
Everyone gets those moments when your bum gets hungry and eats ya pants LOL
A club member just got a large scale Spit, but he dosnt see that flying, just a 1000 note with a unhealthy lust for gravity, he hasnt enjoyed a flight yet, just the landings
Old 07-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Tattoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is exactly why I fly the wings off of less than $10 airplanes. Absolutely no EDF (emotional debt factor). I'm willing to do things with them I would never dream of with an expensive kit I spent months building. This includes creaming them in combat. Not only that, it's given me the opportunity to get good, really good. The basic Spads http://www.spadtothebone.com I fly may be ugly to some people, but you can't get good if your not flying, or too nervous to try new maneuvers. It's like a newbie water skier getting up the nerve to go outside the wake. When I retire (I even see the light at the end of the tunnel) I have my dream plane which will be lots of work...but until then I'm flying the wing's off my Spads, and when the day comes my masterpiece Spitfire is ready to fly, I'll have the taters to hammer the throttle and pull up
Old 07-08-2002, 12:53 AM
DavidR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's perfectly normal to feel nervous flying. I fly jets and get nrevous on the first flight of every day or the first flight at a different field. That's the whole thrill of this hobby. When I stop getting that tightening in my chest, and nervousness that's when I will quit flying. That feeling that you get when a diffucult airplane kisses the runway on landing is the thrill that makes it all worthwhile.

David Reid
Old 07-08-2002, 01:10 AM
Gdolboy3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get nervouse about the middle of my flight. Staring the engine, taxing to the runway, taknig off and flying the pattern a few times and I'm perfectly calm. About halfway through the flight when I'm working on some aerobatics, or perfecting the crosswind touch and go out of no where I get the jitters. So far it's been keeping me honest. Let's me know to calm down a little bit on the manuevers, of a friend will say something to me that I'll get a chuckle out of and I calm right back down. But at the same time, there's that adrenaline rush along with it, and I think that's what makes me happiest about flying. It's exciting, educational, and above all gets you out and about with some great people.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The more I have invested (both money and time) the higher the pucker-factor. But, that's what makes life exciting
Old 07-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Saito_56-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nervous?

When I was first learning last year (Feb.) to fly my SIG LT40, I was nervous taking off, flying and landing. Now, I feel totaly at ease with it. I started the same thing with my SlowPoke sport 40, and then my Sr. Telemaster, not as bad though. The Telemaster flies so slow, you can take a nap!! Running a OS 70 surpass on it.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:36 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My comfort level has very little to do with the plane, I've finally realized. It has to do with the number of spectators, and where they are. I can do amazing things when I fly all by myself, but at a crowded field, it's pretty much t.o., fly ovals, land. It's not just wanting people to be safe, it's not wanting to be embarrassed in front of others.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:24 AM
caf2461
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nerves

FCC: It is the plane.

I am an experienced flyer currently with a Sig King Kobra, Sig Ultimate, Goldberg Ultimate, Goldberg Extra, Modeltec Suhkoi, TF P-47, combat planes, Sticks etc.....and a Chipmunk.

I truely enjoy the Chippy and find it the most relaxing to fly. Touch and go landings with flaps are so easy to do and very realistic. It's light wing loading, wide landing gear stance and long tail movement contribute to the way it flies. The Art Scholl paint design makes it easy to see what the plane is doing. Best of all with the Webra .80 it has the capability to do everything.

I enjoy flying the other planes but do so with various degrees of light tension. This can be stimulating at times, at other times (like after a long day at work) I'm packing the Chippy.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:49 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After 4 years of this I am finally starting to "get it." Seems like people want to work their way up to some 40% edge or something and they are just not comfortable on the way up. My largest is the Sig Cap. I'ts okay but I just don' like it. I have two hot P-51's and Midget and a Shrike that I love and very comfortable with. I thought i would like to get into that precision flyng but It is no fun.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:28 AM
Unstable

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for some reason am more nervous on a picture perfect landing then when something is wrong.

just today I was flying my super chipmunk (I agree with caf about this plane) and I dead sticked while doing a straight down outside snap. I stopped the spin... brought it level then did a 180deg bank full elevator turn for final. came in a greased the landing and didnt break a sweat. (this plane is a baby to fly)

a few flight later with a somethin' extra I just got i dead sticked in a hover 20' of the ground. said "uh oh" got the nose down (a bit of luck involved luck) and landed (a bit too hard) but only damaged the prop and bent the gear a bit. still wasnt fazed a bit.

then last flight of the day with the chippy no suprises at all.. but on landing my knees were shaking like a leaf.

I dont know... maybe i need something breaking for me to feal at ease.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:45 AM
Dave Palmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Strange issues of R/C

A few years ago I had a bunch of heart attacks and luckily recovered.
My doctor asked what I did to relax and to relieve stress.(I was a copper at the time) so I told him all about R/C aircraft.
Doctor. "So you can spend a few hundred pounds on a model airplane.
Me. "Yes"
Doctor. "It could take you months and a lot of work to build it"
Me. "Yes"
Doctor. "Then you take it to a field, prepare it and take off"
Me. "Yes"
Doctor. "And it could last thirty seconds".
Me. "yes" (I talk a lot)
Doctor. "I can't think of anything more stressful"

Anyone agree,
Old 07-09-2002, 12:44 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont know what it is, but I always seem to shake the first flight out of the day......I dont really feel afraid, and even shout at myself to STOP SHAKING.......anyways.....the rest of the day is fine.....I just dont understand