The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC shops in or outside London?

Old 07-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Thomasr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC shops in or outside London?

I`m going to London in about a week, and am looking for some RC shops i can pay a visit. Are there some kind of online collection of links to shops? I have been looking around for a long time, and haven`t found a thing. Anyone here living in the London area, or someone knowing of some shops where i can get a good bargain?
Old 07-08-2002, 11:52 AM
NCBrit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a "Hobby Stores" close to the Underground station in Camden. There are also some others dotted around in the London area. If you are looking for bargains, "Hobby Stores" is not the place to go. If you are able to travel outside of London, and are not relying on public transport, I would suggest "Slough Radio Control" which is a short trip down the M4 to the west of London. The best thing for you to do, is to go into a "W H Smith" newsagent when you are there, and purchase a good selection of hobby magazines. There are advertisements in the magazines for some of the good stores.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:52 AM
Steve Lewin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are very few model shops actually in Central London. I think there's one called Central Hobbies near Marble Arch. One of the Al's Hobbies shops is in Finchley (http://www.alshobbies.co.uk/). West London Models (http://www.westlondonmodels.co.uk/) is near Heathrow airport but it's best for electrics. There's HobbyStores in Camden but, judging from the local one, they tend to be a bit expensive.

HTH - Steve
Old 07-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Thomasr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`m willing to go out of London, preferably south of London (will be staying in Epsom or Epson, can never remember how to type it ). Thanks for all tips!
Old 07-08-2002, 02:50 PM
Thomasr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nobody knowing of some shops outside London either? I probably just have to buy a couple of magazines when i get there.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Steve Lewin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know lots of shops outside London, some of them several hundred miles outside . How far do you want to travel ? What sort of things are looking to buy ?

Apart from Slough RC already mentioned one of the best shops in the South IMO is Sussex Model Centre in Worthing on the coast. It's a long way from Epsom though.

Steve
Old 07-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Thomasr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`ll travel as far as i have to, but as short as possible. Let`s say more than 1,5 hours away from Epsom is to far away.. I`m going to buy mostly small equipment (servos, recievers, chargers etc.), because it`s easier to bring on the plane back, but maybe a plane or two also. I will maybe travel down to the coast, so I can check out Sussex Model Centre.

Btw., is there no index of model shops online? If I can`t find one, maybe I should try to make one? Would be a lot of work, but it`s worth it in the end..
Old 07-08-2002, 09:39 PM
stuartaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know of an online list of shops as such. BUT - Ripmax (a UK importer) have an online list of the shops selling their stuff, and nearly every shop stocks at least some Ripmax stuff. So if you go to www.ripmax.com and navigate to the dealer directory you will find a nearly complete list. Unfortunately its organised by county - got a UK map to hand?

If you're buying magazines then RCM+E usually has the widest selection of adverts. But with any of the magazines only some of the larger shops which do mail order advertise much - many of the smaller, local shops don't.

Stuart @ Slough Radio Control
Old 07-09-2002, 11:45 AM
NCBrit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A word of advice regarding taking airplane kits onto an airliner.

I live in the USA, but I recently went back to England to attend a funeral. I did a little shopping while I was there, and ended up purchasing a Wot4 kit, and a used Super Tigre engine, among other things.

I put all of the small stuff including the engine in one of my suitcases which I checked in as baggage. I took all of the hardware and metal parts out of the kit box, and put them in a suitcase also. The rest of the kit I wrapped in brown paper, intending to take it as carry on.

At the check in desk I was asked whats in the box. I replied that it was a model airplane kit and it was very fragile so I would like to take it carry on. The supervisor was called to look at the box, and said that it was too large to fit in an overhead bin, so it would have to be checked in as baggage. I asked if it could be handled separately from all of the other baggage because it was so fragile. The check in supervisor said that I could take it to the gate, and it could be "gate checked" and loaded on the plane after all of the other baggage. I agreed, and proceeded onto security.

At security I was not asked once about the box. I put it in the scanner, and it went through without anyone asking.

At the gate, one of the airline agents asked what was in the box. I replied that it was a model airplane kit, and explained that the check in agent told me I could "gate check" it. She said that she would ask the pursar if it could be put in a closet on the plane. I had to sit and wait until all of the other passengers had boarded the plane, and then the agent asked the pursar about my kit box. The pursar went and looked for a closet with enough space, and came back with the good news. My Wo4 got to ride back across the atlantic first class.

From my experience, I would suggest that you do not try to take more than one kit box back with you. I was lucky, if the box had been any bigger, I might not have got it on the plane, and who knows what condition it would have been in if it had to ride in the cargo hold. The box for the Wot4 is not large at all. Maybe you could bring a tape measure with you so that you can measure an overhead bin. Then you would know the biggest size box that you could take on the plane.

I do not know what to suggest about radio transmitting or receiving equipment. I think I may have seen something stating that R/C equipment is not allowed on the aircraft. I would ask at the airport before you leave Norway.

One other thing. The trip I took was on American Airlines. Each airline has different policies regarding carry on baggage. Check with your airline before leaving Norway, to see what their carry on policy is.