Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Clubs in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clubs in Houston

Im moving to Houston in a week, Would like to know of what flying clubs are around. I will be attending UTI for the next year and 1/2, need a local flying field. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 06-11-2004, 11:37 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: Clubs in Houston

Dago

The RCU community shows these clubs around there, ama might have more?
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/clubs/index.cfm?city=Houston&fuseaction=choose_club&state=TX]Houston area Clubs[/link]
Old 06-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Dago Red

thanks Dan, Ill take a look.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

What part of Houston is UTI located?
Old 06-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Dago Red

Crap, let me think, its in the northern area i think. By the airport. Its not to far from Larrys hobbys, maybe a 5 min drive or less. Ill try to find more info, O yes its located off of 45.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:24 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like Warbirds, or Bigbirds, you want check out Bomber Field. It's northwest of Houston.

http://bomberfield.sytes.net/
Old 06-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Dago Red

I have a few giants, my cub, 1/4 SU-31 , and a few others. I like there set up, been there. might have to take a look.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Tx_RcFlyer

bomber field is a long drive from the the airport. If you will be living around the airort, you might want to take a look at Jetero.

Sorry, I can't help more. I live in the league city area south of Houston. Now, if you wanna drive down here, I can help you out.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:26 PM
beepee

Red,

Bomber Field is nice, but a LONG way away. Fighter Field and Jetero are not too far - east on 1960, past Lake Houston. I know someone with Fighter I can link you up with. Much closer is West Mount Houston Sport Flyers, but their roster for the year is full. I am a member and you can link up with me to fly as a guest any time. Send me a PM. Scobee field is a ways off (about 30 miles, depending on your starting point), but it is a great field and great guys fly there. Bayou City Flyers operate there, but the field is open to the public, so long as you have a valid AMA card. It is one of the best fields in town, with a nice paved runway ... and facilities even a wife can tolerate.

Welcome to Houston!

Bedford
Old 06-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Dago Red

beepee, sent a PM
Old 06-14-2004, 06:14 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is a outlaw field about two blocks from UTI close to the old garden ridge pottery store-I live north but I fly out west at HARKS
Old 06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
navya7chief

Where in Houston are you moving to or is it to early to tell? There are several field in the Houston area and several more in the outlaying areas. A nice field is in Fort Ben just of 59south around Rosenburg, the owner of RC Hobbies at 59 just south of 610 can give you more information. I'm out in the far reaches of Houton, Bay City. We have a 1,000 foot grass runway with a 600 foot intersecting runway right next to the fair grounds. Nice area, alot of grass to mow...
Our club just hosted a Group of pylon racers this past weekend, man do those guys scoot. It was at the local city airport, great time had by all. We are also getting ready for the 4th of JUly Flight Fest here in Bay City.. Blane Austin and a bounch from his circle will be here as well as our club fly-in and full scale planes with fireworks to top it all off.
Bay City is about 65 miles from downtown, my son can get here (without a ticket) in about 45 minutes from HBU(Huston Baptist University), me, its more like 60.
Short story, lots of fields, great people, good times, just hot in the summer (northern by birth, southern by choice).
Welcom to Houston, fly safe, have fun.

AKC(AW)
Old 06-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Dago Red

Well, the best thing I can tell ya is, UTI is located on lockhaven, spely right, im not sure. But i live directly across the highway from that road and across from corvettes of houston, somthing like that. I live in a place called Park trails, its right by a Funeral museam, pretty cool huh? not. I live off of I45, not sure if its west or east. Ill ask dad tonight. Might not post, i got to go to work at 7PM, get off at 3AM if that. Ill let ya'll know, thanks for the help much.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Tx_RcFlyer

I can tell you there is a Hobby shop North on 45 @ 1960. Larrys Hobbies. and it's at 156 Fm 1960 Rd
Old 06-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dago Red:

Jetero facility is located just north of 1960 way out east past Lake Houston and Huffman. About 6 miles east of FM 2100.
Jetero is a very fine facility, club owned land and has nice comforts. Jetero is probably the most disciplined flying field around. There are NO high speed flying over the runway when another flight station is occupied, no flying west of the N/S flight line and no hovering over the runway if any other fixed wing airplane is flying.

Club membership required after 3 visits in any 12 month period. $150 year dues + $50 initiation. AMA mandatory.

www.jetero.com
Old 06-18-2004, 04:56 AM
Dago Red

tedster
Ya, i dont live but maybe 5-10 minutes from Larrys Hobbys, great thing!!!!

So many clubs to look into!!!!

Thanks for the help guys, i really apreciate it!!
Old 06-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Ptarmigan

Bayou City Flyers flies at Scobee Field in the west part of Houston. Anyone can fly at Scobee Field, it is a public field. Its a good place to fly. I fly there by the way.