Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 PM
ncc8972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAINT OR NOT TO PAINT

i was just wondering if i paint over the monocoat will that add extra weight to the plane?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Toro1
My Feedback: (2)

YEP
Old 07-09-2003, 01:28 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

You can paint over Monokote but it's not as easy as picking up a spray can and pointing it at the airplane. Monokote is so slick, as are the other film coverings, that paint does not stick well. Pick the area you want to paint, get some 0000 steel wool or 1500 grit wet or dry sandpaper, and very CAREFULLY rough up the surface where the paint will go. Be very careful when using the steel wool or sandpaper that you don't press too hard or rub through the covering where it crosses a structures such as wing ribs, leading and trailing edges, longerons etc. You don't have to sand it well, just enough to remove the gloss. Be sure you have an ample supply of tack rags and that you have removed all traces of dust. It will probably be a good idea to mask off the part next to the planned paint area or you will have a dull finish next to the trim line. All this sounds much more complicated than it is. Just have a supply of patience next to your workshop.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

As to your original question, yes you will add weight. Unless you use house paint or plaster you won't add enough to change the wing loading significantly. Just be sure you use Monokote or other fuel proof compatible paint.