The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How to teach..

Old 07-12-2002, 02:41 PM
JayParke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

I am going to teach my grandpa and a couple of friends how to fly RC. But I have no clue how to go about it. I taught myself to fly so I can't use any experience from the person that taught me.

I'm looking for basics as to what to say while flying and what to show them. I was thinking of teaching them to fly a circle while holding altitude. Then teaching that same circle going the other direction. And then teaching them to fly a figure 8. Then teaching them how to line up properly for a landing and letting them make a few high passes. And etc. etc.

But I don't really know how to "teach" em to do this. I don't know what to do to translate what they should be doing from thoughts to words. So all help for me to explain what to do for them to learn to fly is VERY much appreciated. I would rather them learn to fly from someone that can actually already teach very well. But that isn't possible because of our location. I also feel that I should say I can fly quite well from my perspective...but I know that I am a horrible teacher at everything. So as I said, all help is extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-12-2002, 02:57 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

First off ........Get a buddy box. I dont give a crap what anybody says, thats the only "safe" way to go. I usually get em on the box, show em the basics and then get up a few mistakes high and tell em to see what it will do just so they can get the feel of it. After that I start em on pattern flying ect.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

The first thing I teach is not so much a circle, but a rectangle (or oval). Making the two long sides parallel to the runway. Make sure to keep BOTH of the long sides straight (people have a tendency to allow the plane to come in closer on the back leg) once a good rectangle is perfected, I have them drop altitude on the close leg as if it were a final approach, then once the plane passes them, they throttle up and go around again. This keeps up until they can do it well enough, and they are comfortable enough to just chop the throttle and let it settle in for a landing.

As far as HOW to teach... That's a little tougher. I find that everyone teaches differently, and everyone learns differently. But the first thing I try to teach in "Ground School" is to make them realize that turns are accomplished by balancing the plane with the aileron and elevator, and that if you want to tighten the turn, BOTH must be applied! (It is a common rookie mistake to want to tighten a turn by increasing aileron without increasing elevator resulting in a roll, or to be more precise... half a roll followed by a "panic pull-up" into the ground)

The other thing I like to engrave in their heads is the way to avoid the situation I just mentioned. When the plane gets in trouble, it is human nature to want to pull "UP" to avoid the ground. Novices don't realize that "UP" when you are inverted, is "DOWN" or when you are sideways is "a spin waiting to happen". You must teach them to overcome their instincts to pull "UP" and teach them to "Level The Wings" First and Foremost!
Old 07-12-2002, 04:55 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Some time back we posted a 'flight training guide' on our club webpages. You might check it out:

http://www.kamsrc.com/training.shtml

good luck,
quint
Old 07-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Jay,
I am one such as yourself that taught myself to fly. Number one tool to use should be the simulator on a computer. I don't care which one , doesn't really matter, the sim will help anyone figure out the reversing of throws when flying towards yourself. Let them take the plan for a spin on the runway, be very careful that they do not lift off. Just let them go up and down getting used to the rudder, elevator, and throttle. DON'T forget to teach the rudder, it is a very critical part of maturing ones flight skillz.
You are right about teaching the circles then figure 8's . Make sure that you explain the theories of flying to your students, repeatedly if you have to. Get a book on teaching, do a search for the word teaching either here or on a search engine such as yahoo or dogpile...
MAke sure that you keep us posted of your progress.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:59 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Some time back we posted a 'flight training guide' on our club webpages. You might check it out:

http://www.kamsrc.com/training.shtml

If you like it you can go to the home page and get a copy for printing from the 'downloads' area. Good luck and enjoy it.

quint
Old 07-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Mike Bell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Maybe it is me or maybe just the way the cards fall but the last 5 I have trained soloed and gave it up after a short time later
Feel like I wasted my time
Next time before the ground school a promise will have to be made by the trainee to stay in the hobby after soloing........
It is a good feeling though to see a solo from someone a few weeks before didn't know what a glow plug was. Kinda like a proud Pappa....

Mike
Old 07-13-2002, 02:56 PM
JayParke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Thank you for all the help. It will help a TON.

Josh
Old 07-14-2002, 12:43 AM
JayParke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Okay. Now I got to thinking a little. Would it be easier to teach them to make circles and figure eights first with just the elevator and ailerons. Then once they get that down, teach them how to input rudder with the turns?

My thinking was that it would help them by not having to think so much on their first flights and it would let them get used to flying and correcting the plane. Then after they can do that well engough, teach them to use rudder too. My thinking was that by the time they're ready to learn to use the rudder, they will already know how to correct the plane and can just fly it while learning rudder.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-14-2002, 12:47 AM
J roc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default have fun

Give them the buddy box and let them have fun!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2002, 01:53 AM
jmulder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How to teach..

Yeah!!!!!!!!