Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Full Size ?/dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 05:54 PM
PJC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Size ?/dilemma

Well I've been flying 4 years now, and just celebrated my 3rd anniversary, and have my birthday in 3 days. My wife and family both sides got together and decided to get me going to one of my lifelong goals. Pilot's liscense. Have one whole year of paid for once a week 2 hour lessons starting monday. I am worried about losing my steam with my R/C flying. Anyone have experiece with going from R/C to full size and what to expect.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-12-2002, 07:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on the individual. I have started full-scale lessons 3 times, and each time, I'd get bored with it and go back to R/C. Full scale is cool, but the bottom line (IMO) is you rent a plane, go up, wave at your house, then land. Or, you rent a plane, go up, fly to an airport a few towns away, have breakfast, lunch, or dinner with a bunch of other fliers, then come home. If you want to do anything in the way of aerobatics, you'd better have your own plane, and THOSE planes ain't CHEAP!
Then, of course, you have to fly X many hours per month to keep your licence up. So on and so forth.
Everyone has their own views and reasons for doing it, but as for me, it's not what I really want, and it will NEVER replace the thrill of R/C.
Plus, R/C adds the extra added bonus of... No matter how bad I crash, I still get to drive home that night
Old 07-12-2002, 07:48 PM
arfnaround

always thought of this myself. went for a few 'fam' flights over the last couple of years, but too much $$$, and no promise of making any $$$ later. If I had lotsa spare cash, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
rough estimate I was given
$3-5000 basic day type rating (Cessna type)
$20-30,000 to be able to get a job with small cargo co etc...
$80-100,000 when all is said and done to be fully rated to be a commercial airline pilot...
(You pilots can adjust these #s if they are incorrect, but that's basically what I was told.)

... No matter how bad I crash, I still get to drive home that night
..unless you take yourself out by crashing into your forehead...:stupid:
Old 07-12-2002, 08:27 PM
PJC

Default $$$

The family is pretty much behind me all the way. Long term the company will probably follow me in my Airplane needs as I get better and better ratings. My mother in law will not fly until I have at least my twin if not commercial. But she fully intends as does the rest of the family that it is a good long term investment to have a pilot in the family. Well at least that's some of the logic the rest would be I want to do it. Regardless the $$$ factor is not really an issue until I get into the big stuff. Thanks for the info and from what I understand you are pretty close on your figures, but your basic Private Pilot Ticket is about 5k+. Well any other feedback greatly appreciated. If I like it after my instrument I can spring for a decent cessna as well so yes I realize the long term commitment as well. I just love flying anything.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:29 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

If it's a matter of wanting to fly full scale planes, treat it like I do every time I want to buy a Harley or a Boat. I go out and rent one for a day or weekend. I get it out of my system and it's WAY cheaper.

For planes, go and take a warbird ride, or try Air Combat. Or one of the other things I did was take an "Aerobatic lesson" at a local airport. I told the instructor I wanted to pay for an hour of his time for a fun ride and he gladly obliged. I think it was like $100.

Give that a try.

Mike- Next is Jet rides in Arizona.... $1700 a piece, though.. Ughh.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:00 PM
fr8dog

Hey PJC good for you. One thing I have noticed out at the R/C field is that most people out there have no ambition to fly full scale. I am about the only one at my field who flyes both R/C and full scale. Now when I want to go have fun I usually go to the R/C field, but when I want the money to go R/C flying I have to go to work first which means flying full scale. I started flying with flight sim on the PC then started the R/C thing and finally after all that did the full scale flying. I still go flying for fun, but not that much anymore. I only go flying for fun about 5-10 hours a month in my Cessna 140. I do have fun at work, but you also have to deal with the BS of work. One thing you will notice when you start taking lessons is that your R/C flying will help you and you will learn faster then the average student. If you have any questions about taking lessons, your instructor or anything along the way don't hessitate to ask. A very good web forum you may want to check out is www.flightinfo.com
Old 07-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

It takes drive, desire, ambition and a few helpings of cash, but if that is where your heart is, do it.

My son started off in RC when he was 9 or 10, and got disgustingly good at it in short order. He got his glider licence on his 14th birthday, his power on his 16th (through scholarships). He just finished his first year of aviation college with a new commercial ticket, got his instructors ticket, and now he is flying 8 hours a day teaching other folks to fly..........and this is just a summer job!! (he is doing everything I wish I coulda when I was his age...) There is a sizeable debt that will have to be paid back, but he is extremely lucky having opportunities falling in front of him, so I have no doubt he will go all the way.
I think with the thrill, and workload of full scale, that RC lost its charm.

Perhaps he is no longer challenged by it..... I'm hoping he will find room for RC in his life sometime in the future.....I can't complain, though - we had some wonderful years together at the flying field and now I get to go on some neat flights once in awhile...
Old 07-13-2002, 02:55 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always happy to hear of a successful Air Cadet. Hope he keeps on!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:57 PM
LMProd

Go for your full size ticket. Or at least try it.
Unless you have a lot of time, some of your RC flying will suffer. Flying is flying, both are great hobbies.

I fly both and they are rewarding, fun and different. There is much more work and learning involved with full size, so take your time.Don't rush it.
Also SHOP for a good instructor. There are good ones and very bad ones. Learn from a good one.

RC flying and building is relaxing. There is more pressure with Full size in the beginning but that will quickly change. When you are up flying by your self, its a lot of fun.

It gets cheaper when you solo. You rent the plane by yourself and practice without an instructor.

Hope this helps.
Gary
Old 07-17-2002, 01:01 AM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Don't treat the full scale like one of your models like I did coming in for a landing and flaired a little to high for some reason the throttle response is not as quick as a model...Go figure....But my instructor said "It will be ok big guy they go thru alot worse." And I thought that little bump was hard. Have fun good luck!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:12 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Nony
I get to go on some neat flights once in awhile...
Hey Nony, got any spare seats in that ride????

I too am supposed to start flying full scale this month or next. Im pretty excited!

Anyone know how to get into a flying job? Not a airliner jumbo jet, but something on a smaller scale?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Graham-RCU

Been there done that on the Private Pilot License... just too expensive for a hobby.... RC is more challenging to me... and like someone said you can usually walk away from most incidents.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:22 AM
pepito9

full scale flying pays for my rc flying.... go figure
i fly helicopters for a living and they are great fun and a challenge every day.

don´t worry now about the future problems or concerns you MIGHT have, just go and do something that you´ve never done before.... then you´ll be more able to tell if you wnat to keep on going or quit.

don´t quit before trying out...
diego
Old 07-17-2002, 03:41 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default I got free lessons

Hello PJC,

I say, "Go for it". I learned to fly with the Royal Airforce when I was in university (University Air Squadron) -

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town...ba87/adstauas/

. Flying RAF jets was my big ambition but alas, I'm now oilfield trash but couldn't be happier. I would say my full scale teachings helped me with R/C...at least my R/C instructor thought so...I solo'ed R/C after only 3 Saturday's of flying and solo'ed fullscale after 12 hours (military instructors are damn good)!

Good Luck!
Flying Scotsman
Old 07-17-2002, 05:13 PM
LMProd

I always hear comments on how dangerous flying small planes are.

The most dangerous part of flying general aviation is driving your car to the airport.

Most accidents are preventable such as running out of fuel, not doing a preflight and taking off with a wind chuck in a control surface.

In our area the FAA offers free seminars which contain very valuable information. I recommend you ask your instructor about these.

Flying small planes is very safe. Go for it.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:38 PM
TurboOtter
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying full size floatplanes for 30 years. I have flying RC just a short time. My RC buddies take great joy in ragging on my rc flying. I find it harder than real ones! In my otter I am kicked back and relaxed (unless the weather is really dog sh*t like today) They cannot remember anyone crashing so many planes in such a short time. I keep fixin them and I am improving. I now have 4 flyable a/c from a kadet, SE,4*60, cub. I have an Otter in the box to build this winter. I am having a ball. I wish I had of stared this hobby earlier:-)
Old 07-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

PJC,

Enjoy your lessons. They are paid for! Just save up for the cross country portion, as those flights are a lot longer than 2 hours, and more money.

To keep RC flying fresh, try out a different aspect of it. Maybe go float flying, or pylon, or whatever! Just try something new to push yourself a little. Doing this should make you a better pilot for both types of flying.

Elwood
Old 07-18-2002, 02:21 PM
STUKA BARRY

ONCE A WEEK 2HR. LESSON IS A WASTE OF TIME. YOU WONT LEARN ANYTHING FLYING ONCE A WEEK. ITS LIKE LEARNING TO FLY RC. ONCE A WEEK FOR 2 HOURS WONT BE WORTH THE INSTRUCTORS TIME. I WOULD RATHER NOT TEACH, IF THATS ALL THE TIME THE STUDENT HAS. I HAVE 8HRS. IN A 172. I FLEW 3 TIMES A WEEK AND STILL THOUGHT THAT WAS'NT ENOUGH. YOU FORGET TO MUCH IN THAT SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. YOU WILL BE GOING OVER AND OVER AND OVER THE SAME THING AND NOT LEARNING ANYTHING. I UNDERSTAND IT WAS A GIFT, BUT STILL, WHY WASTE YOUR TIME. SEE IF THE FLYING SCHOOL WILL CONDENSE YOUR TRAINING. AT LEAST THAT WAY YOU WILL LEARN. MY 2 CENTS.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:00 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello PJC

I'm a person who started out flying control line at the age of eight (I'm 50 now), later moved to RC gliders, and then to RC power. At the age of 34, I decided to start a career in full scale flight. I have also maintained my activity in, and passion for, RC flight.

Your RC flying skills need not suffer, especially since you have a years lessons/flight time paid in advance. You will find that your full scale flying will improve your RC flight due to a better understanding of aerodynamics and atmospheric conditions.

Might I suggest that you take at least two (2) lessons a week? As a full scale flight instructor, I have found that every student who takes one lesson a week will spend a large part of the next lesson re-learning part of the previous lesson. Those who take one lessopn every two weeks to a month might as well never start. This is a large waste of time and money for the student. Your retention of the taught information will improve with more frequent flight and ground lesson time.

Take the time to shop around for an instructor that you feel comfortable with. Talk to their students, and ask to talk to them. You don't want to have an instructor who likes to tell about all the close calls that he has saved people from. He never should have let them get to that point. Learn how to "drive" a passenger bus before you learn how to "drive" a hot rod. You become a much better pilot.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your entry to full scale avaition.

Silversurfer
Old 07-23-2002, 02:23 PM
PJC

Default update/thanks

Sorry I have been off so much three hours down since the last time I wrote and 2-3 hours scheduled for this week. It is taking up most of my free time so far, but I am addicted already. My instructor is very good. He is also impressed with my knowledge of planes, and aerodynamics. I am very happy so far. I have not been reading like I have been in the past two weeks since I was in college. It is really a good feeling to know I am working towards a goal again, and not just bogged down by the hum-Drum of the money making machine that seems to kill me slowly on the day to day. I am excited, and dedicated already. My wife is very supportive bought me a set of David Clark 10-60 headset that is, and I’ve cut my boob-tube time by at least ten folds. Was at the airport yesterday conditions were poor didn’t fly but spent a good 45 minutes reviewing the first 250+ pages of reading I’ve done. Been tired at work staying up till the wee hours studying. But my instructor says the toughest part for most is the groundwork. I’ll lick it pretty quick I think though. As per the once a week: It’s out the window till the sun starts setting. I’m looking at a good two to three times a week now to satisfy myself. Some of those will probably be doubles as well. Well thanks for all the advice. I do appreciate it. I’ll keep you updated if you want with regards to my progress.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Tired Old Man

Hi Jeff:

It's good to see that you have fallen as deeply as have so many others. After you get your private, and figure out that the private was really a license to start learning, you will get in the air and forget, or at least momentarily displace, all the day to day money B.S. I have never found a better way to "lose myself" in such an intense form of pleasure. My wife never has understood that flying really is sometimes better than sex. it also lasts longer.

Always have a goal, and always try to better the last time you performed a manuever, or planned a flight.

Silversurfer
Old 07-24-2002, 10:12 AM
Flying Scotsman

Originally posted by silversurfer
Hi Jeff:

My wife never has understood that flying really is sometimes better than sex. it also lasts longer.

Silversurfer
"It also lasts longer" - speak for yourself!
Old 07-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Tired Old Man

I think I now better understand that second line under the Flying Scotsman

Silversurfer