Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

"Aftermarket" Can Be Custom made

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

"Aftermarket" Can Be Custom made

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Aftermarket" Can Be Custom made

I thought I would share something to those who may think if an item is not made, it's too bad. A fair amount of this aftermarket stuff is made in the USA and all it takes is a phone call to get what you need. Take mufflers.

This came up in the engine thread. The same muffler can be used for both a .60 or 90 but could cause problems in a .90. No problem, call up Bisson or Slimline and ask if they'll make you one to suit your needs. May cost a bit more but if it is a plane you like and fly a lot, it may be worth the extra bucks.

Another secret here is props. What you see on the shelves may not necessarily be all that is available. Call up the company's. Also when trying to get something different like this stuff, leave out the middle man (hobby stores) and do it yourself.[X(]
Old 06-30-2004, 09:42 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: "Aftermarket" Can Be Custom made

Works for a lot more than just models too. I often have to have custom parts built for my Long EZ. Some of the small fabrication shops can work magic! They are too amazing.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the "aftermarket" business is what is self employing a lot people put out by outsourcing and profit trimming. In model building, 99% of what I need I get aftermarket from shops that are located in garages and basements. It is because we like quality and selection that the super-sized manufactures cannot provide that keeps this cottage industry growing. Many of the RC companies that are advertised are just small businesses ran by folks that want to supply a nitch. They are flexible in their manufacturing to be able to fullfill a customers requirement that a large manufacturing company cannot do.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add into the mix how the internet has made everything more available. It's good for the consumer, and the manufacturer.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:15 PM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

I'll add into the mix how the internet has made everything more available. It's good for the consumer, and the manufacturer.
And NOT the LHS!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:15 PM
ben flyn

sorry
Old 07-01-2004, 06:58 AM
scottrc

Really, the LHS started losing out before the internet. I remember hobbyshop owners complaining about Great Planes Dist. back inthe early 80s. Many LHS who can increase their bottom line have expanded into either making aftermarket parts, or distributing aftermarket merchandise that has too small of a production supply that the big distributors won't touch them. The internet is a fast tool, inexpensive tool for the little guy to use to reach his market.

The LHS that are losing out are the ones that won't change their ways of operation, they still want it to be like the 1950s.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:53 AM
ben flyn

So true!
I'm just going to miss ALL the mom & pop type stores. Hate box stores; try getting after market at home depot!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:21 AM
scottrc

I just get "junk" at Home Depot. Rusting gutters, leaky faucets, and a 40 mile drive to a brainless person who won't look at me or speak English why they are making me fill out a bunch of forms for me to return the junk. When they do speak, it is to inform me that I installed it wrong and that I should sign up for their coarse and buy their books.

If you can't tell, I just had a bad experience last week with Home Depot.

I found a guy local who makes custom gutters, he's about 3/4 mor in cost, but guaranttes it will last 20 years and he does all the work.

I have a feeling more people like me will get fed up at trying to same a buck now only to be ripped off tommorrow and go back to local, small, goods and services.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:38 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I always look for aftermarket items in the magazine ads. I remember when the manufacturers had reps tht visited every LHS in their "district". Worked in a LHS for a time and enjoyed the visits of those traveling salesmen. Got first in line for a lot of good items that were on the way or just new to the market. I'll still buy from a small manufacturer if I find what I want or need. I'm not really too impressed by outsourced ARF's because I can build it better myself. Now if only I were a good tool maker or electronics tech I wouldn't have to buy Chinese engines and Korean radios. Balsa still comes from another continent. If we only had a horticulturist who could solve that problem we'd have it made.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:02 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ballgunner

Now if only I were a good tool maker or electronics tech I wouldn't have to buy Chinese engines and Korean radios.
sorry but you can still get excellent american made radios and engines. you might have to pay a bit more but you know it's worth it.

dave
Old 07-01-2004, 06:37 PM
ben flyn

Reply to all,
We only have are ourselves to blame! It's just human nature to want something for nothing.