Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

leading edge slats

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:15 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leading edge slats

Has anyone ever attempted to modify wing with leading edge slats-I would like to attempt this and trying to find some info.-any replies would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-27-2003, 12:45 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leading edge slats

One of our former members made all his power boosted sailplanes with slats. They were more correctly slots as they were not retractable. I suppose he was trying for boundary layer control. In any case his models did not fly any better than the conventional types. If you really want slats you could make them as the F86's which automatically extended after a specified lower airspeed was reached. It would take some really fine engineering for a light weight aircraft such as we fly. The other alternative is to actuate them in the same manner as sailplane models do their spoilers. A sliding leading edge set on an angle to go forward to what ever you think is necessary to create the amount of boundary layer control you want.