Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Ever Been Attacked By Wildlife While Flying?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ever Been Attacked By Wildlife While Flying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Canard flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever Been Attacked By Wildlife While Flying?

Once, at the field where I learned to fly, a red tail hawk showed up. It left the planes alone for a while until someone took his p-38 up. Then for some reason, the hawk dove at and actually hit the p-38. The bird knocked the p-38 out of the sky. There wasn't much left of it after it hit the ground. The other pilots were so pissed at the bird that everyone who could, started up their planes and took off after the bird. No one hit the bird but it took the hint and left. We didn't see it again.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

LOL I could just imagine all the club members all going after a hawk. NOT GOING TO WORK lol. Hawks just play with the airplanes[8D]
Old 08-04-2004, 11:45 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a club member who brings his Border Collie to the field & it herds (chases) the planes during take-off & landing. One day it intercepted a prop-driven Lear Jet on take-off & it was T-boned really hard -- put a hole in the dog. It didn't learn a thing -- on another occasion it was let out of the car & promptly took off after a full scale C-130 that was circling a couple of miles away -- the dog ran right off the edge of a 50' embankment & fell into a gravel quarry. It took about 10 min for the d@mned thing to reappear, but it did, & resumed herding the planes again.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

at a recent show a club member took his dog, he let it our for a bit of a run in the late evening, later he's out looking for it when out of the river running next to the site comes a huge black thing and chases him, he runs back across the field, to his caravan and locks himself in..
then realises it was the dog that had been in the boggy river

Old 08-04-2004, 01:30 PM
jsevey

The State Bird of Texas- the Mockingbird- was recently offended at the purple and yellow covering on my plane and chased it everytime it came around to the far side of the field. No contact, but very close. These aggressive birds attack cats and it's a riot to watch. I was also flying at a polo field last year when a guy brought his border collie out to run and dog would not let me land. It chased the plane all over the place- sat down to rest and then ran after it every time I got close to the ground. Both the dogs owner and I had fun with that one. The owner came over and said he would call his dog off when I got ready to land.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a turkey attack my plane this spring right after I landed it long and was taxing it back to the pits. He just came screaming out of the brush at the end of the field and body slammed my poor trainer, then ran back into the brush. A few minutes later, some hunters showed up and asked me if I had seen any toms. These guys have been spending hours, camoflaged, in a stand and hadn't seen a thing, and here I am, out in broad daylight, with a noisy airplane and I get checked by a 30lb bird.

Go figure.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:18 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you ever shared your flying site with domesticated cows and other livestock. Myself and and a few other R/C pilots were given permisssion by a local dairy farmer in upstate N.Y. the use of a large field on his property. The only stipulation to the use of this land was not to interfere with his grazing cows.
We proceeded to clear an area of the field for our use and after many weekends we ended up with a landing strip and pit area. During periods of our contruction the cows would wander ofter to see what we were doing. They never interfered with our construction. So we thought until it became to fly. Those darn cows seemed to be drawn my the noise of our engines and wandered all over our construction site. Needles to say, the cows won and our new flying site was abandoned.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Have you ever shared your flying site with domesticated cows and other livestock.
we've got cows and sheep ( check out www.rcflyers.net for a funny video involving a Shrike and sheep )

you can herd the cows while prophanging but they don't cause a problem, wander past us when out for a drink and thats it, other than the hard crusty pats on the patch.

cows love to lick burnt fuel from planes BTW, so if you crash near them make sure you don't spook them when you wander over, other wise it's even more balsa bits.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:55 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

During a fun fly at our club field I was up with my .15 powered Quick Stick,(Swizzle stick built to fit an available wing, RCM Article) for the guess 2 minute flite time. Take off and fly around until you guess two minutes are up. At about 1:15, a Red Tail decides to engage me in combat. Lost the event. he backed off and flew formation with me for another 30 seconds before leaving. My time was almost 6 minutes. A club record for a two minute flite.