Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

BattleRC

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:50 PM
battlerc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BattleRC

BattleRC is laser tag between up to 15 model aircraft (planes and helicopters), viewing live video from a camera mounted on the aircraft through a VR headset. It is a revolutionary company, and will be available to Los Angeles/Orange County residents in November, exapanding to many metropolitan areas within a year.

http://www.battlerc.com

Check it out!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:09 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default BattleRC

is this an advertisement?
Old 08-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Roodester

Default BattleRC

Sounds expensive.

Roodester
Old 08-08-2003, 08:29 PM
battlerc

Default BattleRC

To reply to both posts at once:

A) No, it's not an ad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

The technology used in BattleRC flying centers is extremely sophisticated - for example, one transmitter per 15 planes which takes information from a computer and transmits it digitally through custom electronics (relying heavily on embedded programming) - 15 planes, 30+ controls, 255 values for each control...

Not to mention getting the somewhat high-quality video back to the 15 computers...

And doing this all on an extremely tight budget.

The point being seeing that there is a company out there doing this sort of thing could give some inspiration to RC entusiasts who want to incorporate technology beyond the legacy technology that ships with your average RC plane. I came from the other side, being a programmer and learning electrical engineering in my spare time for the point of working on BattleRC. And the view from here is a lot different. Not better, and certainly not opposing, just different.

B) No, it's not expensive.

It's not a system that is sold. This november one or two flying centers will be launched which people can go to and pay $2 per 15 minutes to fly. They will operate in the LA/Orange County areas. If that seems steep, refer back to A [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's meant not only for RC flying hobbyists, but also the general public. That's possible since flying from a 1st-person perspective is significantly easier than controlling a plane viewing it from the ground. That's part of why it's not very expensive, everyone I've talked to about it says in November they'll be there!

Pete