Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Females who love to fly planes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Females who love to fly planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:16 PM
talk the torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Females who love to fly planes

Hi Bowen

Its great to see female pilots...we don't have to many here in South Africa either.
But just 4 u....and yes its PINK!!!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94252.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	155289  
Old 07-19-2004, 06:45 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend at the club has a pink Giles gasser.

We have girlfriends and wives show up at the field to watch. My wife loves to watch but she doesn't want to start learning and crash a plane.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:25 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for attracting dorks and geeks- I disagree for the most part but than I meet folks like yourself and wonder.
Excellent! BB doesn't get it back all that often. [8D]

You'll find that the vast majority here are respectful and encouraging as well.
Dennis-
Old 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
ben flyn

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

Do girls talk diffrently about planes than guys? If so, what would they talk about?
Ben there are a lot of differances between men and women fliers that they could talk about. Where do you keep your purse while flying? Is it hard to go to the restroom if you don't have a girlfriend to go with you? What color nail polish do you wear with a blue plane? Are you more likley to crash during "that time of the month" or just more likely to yell at your instructor if you do?

So you see there is a definate need for a womens forum where these issues could be addressed. Unfortunately as an old thread discussed way back when, the hobby is practiced by geeks and dorks and it does not tend to attract many women. There is also a much, much lower percentage of female geeks and dorks so the potential pool of female participants is much smaller.

Man! You sure are brave![/size]
I haven't laughed that hard since someone said about a picture of a hand for the pilot!

Welcome on board Bowen! It looks like you'll fit in just right! I just wish there were more of you.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Well Bowen,
Great to see your enthusiasme. Keep it up.
I wish my wife would have your desire for model airplanes, but it just isn't going to happen. She supports my hobby 100% and that is good.

Here is what happened when she decided to come up to the field and look into this and maybe give it a try.

She is very at ease with men and socializing so for her to go around and talk was quite natural, but a lot of Yobos at our club are just that, Yobos. The language they used was appaling to say the least, and probably more so because my wife was there, trying to impress her... Well it did and she said that she didn't need this type of language abuse just because a women was there, and you know I can't blame her.

So the bottom line, stick to it and I'm very envious.

Roger
Old 07-20-2004, 08:43 AM
donhef

I've had my daughter comming to the field w/me the last few months and she finally got on the buddy box and loved it. only 2 flights and she is already outdoing her old man......my Instructor says that at the rate she's going she'll solo before me! It's a shame she's going to College this fall, but hey, she does get to come home on weekends!

Plus she's in the ANG so this is a big plus for her!

My club has two women in it, not counting my Daughter and they are pretty good, they both fly pattern...........

Welcome to the hobby!

Don
Old 07-20-2004, 09:17 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

My wife finally flew a friend's trainer about a month ago on a buddy box......she loved it! When she was finished, she asked me "do you have a trainer plane that I can fly?" So we might be getting another female flyer around here before too long....
Old 07-20-2004, 01:07 PM
NitroWoman

Hi Bowen, Yes there are other women fliers here. I have been flying model airplanes in one form or another since I was 7yrs old. My brother and I flew alot until we moved away from home. He quit and I didn't. I love combat and I'm starting to get serious about pylon racing. If I ever buy a trailer I'll be able to get my 1/4 scale Sukhoi to the field and I may give the scale pattern a try. The guy's on R/C Universe are usually a great bunch. You can talk airplanes all you want with them, just be ready for the many proposals that seem to come our way and never let them get away with not taking you seriously. They are Men after all. Also, Pink Nail Polish goes with Blue airplanes nicely. What color do you wear Basinbum? By the way, I'm proud to be a female geek.[8D]
Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Nice to see there are women into this hobby. Its rare to see any lady at our field. I tried to get my last g/f to fly, but she wouldnt touch a plane, in fact, didnt want me to buy them, when it was over, I bought a 30% edge 540 and a 74" SU-31. Now if we can get some at our field, that would be great.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
bowencutie

Hello NitroWoman,
I have found the folks here the best around. Glad to have some company on the female field. It is hard to find women who love this hobby as much as I do- the other friends I have are intimidated by the planes. I ain't skeert and have enjoyed my time in the air immensely. Thanks for jumping in here and letting me meet you. It has been a pleasure
Your Sukhoi sounds lovely- any pics posted? Would love to see it.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:36 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bowen

Your Sukhoi sounds lovely

Old 07-20-2004, 05:20 PM
CougarRules

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

Old 07-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: CougarRules

Old 07-21-2004, 05:58 AM
ben flyn

I wonder what she would think about it if it had wheel PANTS!
Old 07-21-2004, 07:11 AM
NitroWoman

Sorry, No pictures of my Sukhoi. It is the Sig 1/4 Scale ARF with a Moki 2.1. And yes, it is so Cute and Sweet and ever so Devine. I've even started designing the most Darling wheel panties for it. Thanks for the idea Ben. Now you all will have to excuse me while I go wash off the blood of my latest Combat victum.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: NitroWoman
Now you all will have to excuse me while I go wash off the blood of my latest Combat victum.
This one is so easy I'm not even gonna say it.

Wheel pants on a Sukhoi would be un-natural, I would recomend matching panties instead, something green would be splendid.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:29 AM
ben flyn

Now you all will have to excuse me while I go wash off the blood of my latest Combat victum.

Wheel pants on a Sukhoi would be un-natural, I would recomend matching panties instead, something green would be splendid.

You did it again!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I cannot believe he's passing that one up
Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Canard flyer

It's great to hear of other female pilots out there. Bowen, I may be on the opposite coast (I'm in California) but you are more than welcome to contact me anytime.
I just love showing up at the flying site in my truck and pulling out my four planes. The guys at the field always start looking for a guy to get out to fly the planes.
I have been flying RC regularly since 1998 and flying the full scale since 2002. I absolutely love flying. I find it so hilarius when I fly my RC's and inevitably one of the guys will think I am inexperienced and need help so he will stand next to me. When I take off, I love to take off straight up with my trainer since it has the power. It always makes the guys yell out in fear that I am going to crash it. I just laugh then start flying inverted or doing some aerobatics like hammerheads, avolanches and others.
The planes I currently have flying are a ace rc whiz, model tech dragon lady, and two unusual planes, a sig tri-star (pusher canard) and a Cross bow. You can see them on my website
http://canardflyer.homestead.com
By the way, there is a baby pink and pastel yellow plane at the field and it is flown by a guy.
Bowen and NitroWoman; Have you noticed that when you show up at the field the guys all of a sudden make an effort to clean up their language. Whenever someone cusses at my field, one of the other guys will get on the offenders case about cussing in front of a woman
Old 07-21-2004, 11:23 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Nice web site you have put together, enjoyed the short Bio

Woman in this sport are welcome IMO
Success to whoever wants to get involved is the main thing, allthough a little color co-ordination could be a plus
Old 07-21-2004, 11:51 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Hill202

I cannot believe he's passing that one up
It's got to be killin' him. Eventually he will lose enough sleep over it and blurt it out.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:46 PM
lionheart

Like one of those cartoon characters..... Eyes bugging out, face turning red, cheeks swelling. Top of his head will soon blow off to relieve the pressure! Go on BB, You know you want to....
Old 07-21-2004, 01:21 PM
NitroWoman

Wow, I serve it up on a silver platter and nobody runs with it. Go ahead, I can take it. Hi, Canard flyer, nice to meet another female flyer. Love your website. As far as the guy's cleaning up their language, I usually can't hear them over my own sometimes colorful verbage.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:08 PM
bowencutie

Hi Canard Flyer- happy to meet you. Your web page is outstanding and I enjoyed your bio too.

Nitrowoman- I too can hardly hear their language cuz mine is just as bad. I also work in a factory so they really couldn't say anything I haven't heard before or said myself

I'm very pleased by the finding of at least two lady flyers.
My mom also flys a trainer Kadet 40 LT with a OS .40 LA she has finally soloed and is very proud of the accomplishment.
I only get to fly the week ends and am now practicing my take off and landing technique. Not as easy as it looks.

Hopefully to solo by the end of the summer before the snowbirds come back which is mid October. November the club will have a Fly In and I hope to participate.
Keep your fingers crossed with me.

Mary Bowen
Old 07-21-2004, 03:10 PM
bowencutie

Thanks for the welcome- I too love this hobby- How exciting to have something to share with your daughter

Mary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.