Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Females who love to fly planes

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Females who love to fly planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Females who love to fly planes

too bad jetts is busy moving as he always has a nice greeting for new lady members, especially the ones like janetc with a purty face for an avatar.....

dave
Old 07-21-2004, 07:24 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is probably why we never hear from Janet anymore.
Dennis-
Old 07-22-2004, 03:41 AM
bowencutie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

Which is probably why we never hear from Janet anymore.
Dennis-

How Very Sad.[]
Old 07-22-2004, 04:01 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just having fun bowen! jetts is a real nice guy, stick around and you'll meet him.

janetc never did hang out here much, just when she needed help.

dave
Old 07-22-2004, 05:32 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I really should have stuck a "smiley" at the end of that sentence. []

I didn't mean to give you the wrong impression Mary, Jetts is a decent guy, and Janet has always kind of popped in, spent a few days, then disappeared for a couple months.
Dennis-
Old 07-22-2004, 02:23 PM
bowencutie

that's all it would take most women to do to fall in love with this hobby- Good luck to her
Old 07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
bowencutie

Thanks for clearing that up- I look forward to meeting him now
Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 PM
sew_and_fly

Hi Bowen,

I've been "flying" for a little over a year now. Never did use a buddy box and am therefore on plane #3. Love the flying, have no problem with takeoffs and some stunts but have a lot of trouble with landings. I will admit absolutely no interest in building but have a hubby who will build me anything as long as I want to fly. I make the wing covers, so I think its a fair deal. Besides hubby who flies pattern, have a son who flies both models and the real (inside the cockpit) thing.

Reena
Old 07-22-2004, 05:32 PM
bowencutie

It is lots of fun huh?
I too love my needlecrafts also- love your screen name. Thanks for chiming in
Mary
Old 07-22-2004, 07:05 PM
cjspringer

Hello - my name is Catherine, my daughter, Mary and I fly with the Nature Coast RC Club here in Florida. My son-in-law and daughter gave me my first plane (a Kadet LT-40) and I love it and so far, knock on wood, it is still in one piece. I enjoy flying and wish I could get to the airfield more often. As the weather cools, perhaps I can go more often....Fly safe, Catherine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27508.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	156325  
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
JimRoss

NitroWoman,
May the Lord bless you and keep you safe. Thank you for that comment about veterans. I'm one and damned proud to be one. You would be welcome at our club ANY DAY!

ORIGINAL: NitroWoman

Hi Bowen, Yes there are other women fliers here. I have been flying model airplanes in one form or another since I was 7yrs old. My brother and I flew alot until we moved away from home. He quit and I didn't. I love combat and I'm starting to get serious about pylon racing. If I ever buy a trailer I'll be able to get my 1/4 scale Sukhoi to the field and I may give the scale pattern a try. The guy's on R/C Universe are usually a great bunch. You can talk airplanes all you want with them, just be ready for the many proposals that seem to come our way and never let them get away with not taking you seriously. They are Men after all. Also, Pink Nail Polish goes with Blue airplanes nicely. What color do you wear Basinbum? By the way, I'm proud to be a female geek.[8D]
Old 07-23-2004, 06:54 AM
NitroWoman

Thank-you for the lovely comment Jim. I too am a veteran and very proud of it. Bless you too.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 PM
JimRoss

I wish we had a dozen ladies like you in our club. Some of the old farts that come out are not very interesting to talk to. I have no doubt that a lady could and would fly r/c planes just as well as any man if we could only get the interest up for them. Do you have any suggestions as to how we could attract more ladies to the sport? I'm willing to give it a shot. Our club is very nice and we have all the amenities necessary for comfort. Look at our website and you'll see that we have one of the best clubs in the country. Full kitchen, no porta potties, real live bathrooms with running water and paper towels, 150 foot covered pavillion, plenty of tables and chairs, five pilot stations with more in the works, 600 foot grass runway that you could putt a golf ball on most of the time.
Shoot, come visit us sometime if you get to Texas.

As Always,
JimRoss
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
bowencutie

ORIGINAL: JimRoss

I wish we had a dozen ladies like you in our club. Some of the old farts that come out are not very interesting to talk to. I have no doubt that a lady could and would fly r/c planes just as well as any man if we could only get the interest up for them. Do you have any suggestions as to how we could attract more ladies to the sport? I'm willing to give it a shot. Our club is very nice and we have all the amenities necessary for comfort. Look at our website and you'll see that we have one of the best clubs in the country. Full kitchen, no porta potties, real live bathrooms with running water and paper towels, 150 foot covered pavillion, plenty of tables and chairs, five pilot stations with more in the works, 600 foot grass runway that you could putt a golf ball on most of the time.
Shoot, come visit us sometime if you get to Texas.

As Always,
JimRoss

I would show up in a heart beat. Your field and ammenities sound lovely.
Look for me when I visit Texas, I'll let you know when we are coming.
As for how to interest women, advertise a welcome fly in and make a point of inviting ladies to fly on a buddy box with a flyer for awhile and explain how easy and free it feels. I would have stood in line for an invite like that. I'm going to make the same suggestion at our club. Tell me what you think?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:53 PM
NitroWoman

Thanks again for the kind words, Jim. If I ever get down your way I'd love to stop in and fly with you. Your field looks great. Real Bathrooms!!!!, I'd be in heaven. We only have a PortaPottie, and even though I really like all the guy's in my club, I swear when they use it they all spin around in circles while they are going. At least they keep it stocked properly. Be careful what you wish for, a dozen me's may be too much for any club. As far as attracting more women to flying, I've been trying for years and I have found no solution. I'm at a loss just like all the guy's.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:12 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

We only have a PortaPottie, and even though I really like all the guy's in my club, I swear when they use it they all spin around in circles while they are going.
That's just the control line guys.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
bowencutie

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

We only have a PortaPottie, and even though I really like all the guy's in my club, I swear when they use it they all spin around in circles while they are going.

Rolling on the floor laugh my butt off- what a visual
Old 07-23-2004, 02:38 PM
NitroWoman

Thanks for laugh BB. If I had been drinking milk it all would have come out my nose. I fly controline also so that had special meaning for me.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:48 PM
milkman

ORIGINAL: bowen

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Rolling on the floor laugh my butt off- what a visual

That is just toooooooo funny.........[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-23-2004, 03:29 PM
lionheart

The genius that is BasinBum!!!! He's here all week! Try the veal!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:53 PM
ballgunner

Welcome to the RC world. There are lots of women and girls who would like to fly but are intimidated by the preponderance of men at the field. There is a large club in AZ called CAM.
That's Central Arizona Modelers. They have been around for some years. The President of the club last year was a woman. The LHS proprietor and his wife were and are very active in CAM. Our club has the full support of the wives and ladies who are more help to us than they realize but so far only one lady pilot who quit after her solo. I believe CAm has a few more ladies on the sticks but don't know how many.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:23 PM
mstroh3961

As for attracting dorks and geeks- I disagree for the most part but than I meet folks like yourself and wonder. The majority of the flyer's I have met are the most respectable, caring people I have met in years. They encourage the pride and pleasure of females in this hobby
Darn it there she goes ruining our reputation!

Welcome!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:51 PM
bowencutie

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

As for attracting dorks and geeks- I disagree for the most part but than I meet folks like yourself and wonder. The majority of the flyer's I have met are the most respectable, caring people I have met in years. They encourage the pride and pleasure of females in this hobby
Darn it there she goes ruining our reputation!

Welcome!

Thanks Mark
Old 07-23-2004, 08:37 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Bowen, cjspringer, Canard flyer, sew_and_fly, NitroWoman, and all the other woman enjoying this sport, Glad to see it and I hope it grows into a larger group.

Catherine it was nice to read your post, it portrays what this hobby has been about for years. The gift that starts it off or the sharing with others and the enjoyment of flying in one form or another.

Thank's for sharing with us, Pleasant Skies
Old 07-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Canard flyer

Bowen,
Your comment about the guys at the field encouraging pride and pleasure in the hobby reminded me of my my instructor said on one of my first days.
He said,

"I love teaching women. They actually listen to what I am teaching them and then do it. They don't try to show off until they know hot to fly then they can beat anyone at the field!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.