Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass covering cabane struts

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fiberglass covering cabane struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 05:06 PM
clemrick
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass covering cabane struts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]The inst. tell me to cover the outer cabane struts on the GP Super Skybolt with fiberglass cloth. I have done this on wings before, but not on a surface like the cabane struts. My question is this. I read once before to use an adhesive that comes in a spray can to stick the cloth to the surface to be glassed and be able to pull the fabric tight then epoxy the cloth to the surface. Does anyone know what the spray was or is that they were reffering to? If memory serves me correctly it was a 3m product. If anybody has any suggestions they would be greatly appd. or any alternate soulutions.
Thanx Cl[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 06:01 PM
retread

If you're looking for a 3M product, its 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. This stuff will not attack foam either.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:18 PM
dr_wogz

And be prepared to say 'ouch' when you see teh price tag! there are alternatives ont eh market, and don't forget to clean the nozzle!

of course, you can do it the old fashion way; paint the area with epoxy, then lay teh cloth, then squeegee teh cloth into the resin, and wipe off the excess.

-----------------------

What do the 3 M's stand for in 3M?!
Old 08-14-2003, 01:18 PM
clemrick

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing, I think?.?.?.?
Thanks for the tip guys. And yes, the old way is very messy. I have seen the 3m 77 spray where I work and I can ask one of the guys where they got it. When I saw them using it to stick a blueprint to a piece of cardboard, I thought about this, but I thought it was a 33 or something of that nature listed in the plane inst.
Thanks again,
C Lemrick