Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A Touch of Klass

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Touch of Klass

I've been reading about Klass Kote paint. Going by the printed word it looks promising. Has anyone tried it yet?
Happy landings, Tony.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:15 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: A Touch of Klass

Hi Tony;

Greetings from swampy Florida.

I have been searching for an epoxy paint source for some time now, after being a long time Hobby Poxy user; damn , but I miss their fine paint products. I read about Klass Kote Epoxy Paints in last months RCM with great interest, and asked my LHS, [a fine new shop, Ace Hobbies in Venice, FL] to order some in for me. But I really need some clear ASAP, so ordered from Klass directly, a quart each of gloss clear, parts A & B and a quart of reducer, and it arrived via UPS in 6 days. Use wise, it seems a lot like the Hobby Poxy of old, so I am very pleased with it. In the literature that arrived with my shipment, Klass owner, Nate Dickerson states that he has contracted with Scale Great Dave Platt to produce a scale colour mixing and instructional video which will be available soon.

I like Klass Kote, so let us give Nate and his new product line all our support, and check out their website: klasskote.com. Hoping this has been of help to you, best regards from the Gulf Coast of Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:19 PM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Joe: Thanks for the reply. It sounds like Klass Kote is going to be a valued addition to the work shop. The news about Dave " Mr. Scale" Platt making mixing charts and a how to video is icing on the cake. Happy landings Joe, Tony Puleo.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

My good friend and mentor only uses Koverall and Dope on his planes. On his latest project, Top Flite Mentor he used Klass Kote, the finish was great. He applied it with a soft
1 1/2" brush and I was amazed on how smooth it came out. He said when Hobby Poxy stopped production no other finish came close until now, he is very happy.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: A Touch of Klass: Use Update

Hi Tony;

Greetings once again from swampy Florida.

By the looks of the postings, you and I are the only ones interested in KlassKote or epoxy finishing; everyone else must be on summer vacation.

At the time of my last posting, I had only mixed up two small batches of KlassKote Clear to apply to my latest project: 2 building tables, one 2 x 8', the other 1 x 8', to be used as a 'wing building table' and a 'fuse building table'. I used 3/4" HD particle board surfaced with 1/2" x 4" x 48" balsa planks, [from Lonestar Balsa in TX]. I contact cemented the balsa planks to the particle board and smooth sanded out any imperfections, and filled voids with spackling compound.

I then brushed on the first 2 coats of Clear Gloss KlassKote, sanding between each coat, after a curing time of 12>16 hours, with 100 grit after 1st & 2nd coats, and 220 grit after the 2nd and 3rd coats, vacuuming and tack-ragging afer all sandings. The boards are now complete, with a total of 6 coats of KlassKote, the last 3 coats applied without any sanding at all, and my building tables look like they are covered with a pane of glass. For sure Klasskote is a great product, I equate it closely to the Hobby Poxy of old, [I never used K & B], so if you used Hobby Poxy and liked it, you will find similar use characteristics with KlassKote. This time I simply brushed by hand and got beautiful results, I can only imagine the excellect results spraying or air-brushing, [for model painting I rely on my old Miller spray outfit with a Pasche air brush].

Also, for the 6 coats of KlassKote, covering the 24 square feet of table tops, I used only about 1/3 or less of the 1 quart, [each can], so a little bit goes a long, long way, and between coatings, I simply stored what was left over in the refrigerator...carefully marked of course...!

So Tony, + the rest of you on vacation; go out and buy some KlassKote, from your LHS or direct from Klasskote, you will be glad you did, and be happy with your results. Best regards to all from 'Thong Beach', Manasota Key, Englewood, Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:04 PM
ep3j
My Feedback: (9)

Anyone tried to spray this product yet? I just ordered a quart and it is on the way and I and trying to decide the best way to apply. I prefer to spray everything I get. But, if the brush method will use less product and produce a glass finish then I will go that route.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:09 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Haven't even bought any of it yet, but I will have a boat to paint soon, and another that needs to be repainted. Sure would be nice to find something that works like hobbypoxy used to.