Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Favored status club members

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Favored status club members

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:06 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favored status club members

There are members in my club that do things that anyone else would get in trouble for,but they are immune because the other club members look the other way and think that everything they do is just the greatest thing they ever saw.I am sure this happens elsewhere. how do you deal with it? I feel like I am the only one who speaks out to keep things safe when I am at the field.one of these "premier" members donated a large sum of money to the club,but does that mean that he and his cohorts can do anything they want even if it is unsafe?
Old 07-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Righty

Default RE: Favored status club members

like what?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:05 PM
AQ500

I just ignore it and obey the rules. Sooner or later the unthinkable will happen. If you speak out you will just become more unpopular and they will watch you more closely. The double standard will become worse.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:45 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with AQ500. Plus he could take his money elsewhere. If you raise a stink you will be the one to leave.

david
Old 07-28-2004, 10:07 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is just life, my club is the same way and I don't get too upset about it (I am not the one that can break the rules and get away with it). I think every club is like this and it's just the rules of politics, you can't get away from it unless you fly in a club of one (your self) and that would not be fun.

BTW, I refer to these people affectionately as the "VIP's".
Old 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

"things that anyone else would get in trouble for" is a pretty vauge statement. Can you give us some examples of specific behaviors? If this is just a general feeling by you and not shared with a majority of club members than something else may be going on.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:20 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

If it is a disregard with respect to safety, then I would find another club..If that isn't an option, bring it up at a meeting that you have observed certain members engaging in unsafe practices and want to help ensure the safety of everyone in the club.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:51 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if our club has any official rules...

The only VIP status is what we voluntarily give certain members since they are good guys and have been around a while.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

we had an event at a VERY! small field the other day which was infront of a creek, i was happy to jump over the hedge and fly my Cougar over the creek landing on a flat patch of reeds as the space provided in the field was very close to people and cars.
it was decided that even this was too risky to be done, however this same small patch of land within a field being used for a pig roast, tug of war etc was used by a friend and club member to demonstate his Cougar and heli. the difference is the pure skill this guy has, sure sheer bad luck could have proved dangerous ( as at any time ) but the risk was so much smaller due to his years of public flying and ability to fly that Cougar more or less in the box it came in! that a quick demo was deemed ok.

however we do have our Welshman that can be a pain in the ass and fly dangerous, and been warned, but still flys, and still rants but is still a welcome addition to the club. wouldn't be the same without him really.

quieter...
Old 07-29-2004, 02:01 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, for starters are the club rules written down? If they are, is each clubmember required to read a statement that they read and understand the rules? When I became president of our club a decade ago we had a lot of bickering because so and so broke this or that rule. When in reality none of the rules that were causing the problems really existed. I resolved that by organizing and publishing the rules that really did exist, and created an open easy way for club members to change those rules as situations changed. Even then it is amazing how 14 or so club rules can be conscrewed.

In your case if there are rules bring it up at the next meeting and make a motion to suspend the rules, since a minority of the members don't follow them any way, why burden the rest of the club with the need to follow them too? ( NOTE no names unless they want a SPECIFIC date and event!) You will either loose your rules, or the level headed majority will kick in and do something to enforce them.

Another option is that ALL of our members are charged with enforcing the safety rules. That way there is no "getting away with something" just because a club officer is not present. But you have to be willing to be diplomatic about it too. After he lands, go up to the suspected offender and ask, say I saw you do suchand such, how is that in compliance with our rules? IF you get an argument you know he knows you know that he's being watched. And just keep documenting what you saw and bring it up at the next meeting.

HTHTom
Old 07-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Low Wing

How many rule's does your basic field have BasinBum...Flying over the pitt's...Taxing in and out of the pitt's...Starting your model in the wrong place...Not calling out landings or take off's or forgetting to make people aware when you are on or crossing the run-way etc etc...Use your imagination man...Yeah' Scale Dail this happens at every club and it sucks... People who are long time member's or better pilots seem to carry more weight at the field...Speak up! Doing nothing is what's wrong at your field...People who are afraid to stand up for what is right...I have been both a safety officer and club president and I'm quick to let everybody know (out load) when they are flying like crapp...I'll take whatever they come back with any day over someone getting hurt...Speak up! they wont have a leg to stand on...money bags or not...all the money in the world can't pay for a life...
Old 07-29-2004, 05:03 PM
ballgunner

Where is your Safety Officer? We have two and one is always present to remind the miscreant of his sins. If done on the side in a normal voice it shouldn't create animosity. At the next meeting the event is brought up at the regular report of the Safety Officer. Everyone knows what happened and in most cases they know who the offender is but there is no name calling or finger pointing. If the violation of safety is a routine or oft repeated thing then names are used and evryone get into the act. If the VIP gets upset and quits then at least the danger is past.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Low Wing

How many rule's does your basic field have BasinBum...
blah,blah,blah.....
All I asked was for specifics because unlike you I am not psychic and don't know what he is talking about.

It's no wonder you were banned with your tendancy to snap at people you disagree with.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:31 PM
darryl123

http://www.canyoncrosswinds.com/rules.htm
bring it up with the club president, rules should be followed for safety.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 AM
scale dail

Yes you can all read what happend at the previous reply on the chat room of our club website. belive me I have been very vocal about the issue, in fact those members most responsible have labeled me"Pylon enemy #1". I have always tried to follow the rules by the book because I am under the gun.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 AM
BasinBum

Let me save you all the trouble of reading Dales complaint. It seem that Dale is not familiar with 3 pylon racing and prefers Scale Military flying. Dale, in order to practice 3 pylon racing the pilot must stand on the course and fly around themselves as is done in AMA approved contests. This is actually the safest way to fly high speed racers and if there is an overfly of the pits it is unintentional just the same as when it is done by a scale warbird. For the rules to be so black and white as to not allow for any deviation for an approved flying style would be counter productive for a clubs growth. Maybe the rules need to be ammended to take this style of flying into account since there is a group of racers in your club. I am surprised that after 20 years of RC you are unfamiliar with pylon racing and perhaps you should attend a race at the Basin sometime to see what it's all about. The rules at your field are very resonable and should be taylored to meet the desires of the members. I know Clark and some of the other racers and I'd bet that they only practice when there are not other pilots on the flightline so what's the problem?

Lowing, it seems as if you're not psychic after all.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:47 AM
scale dail

You may know clark Basin bum, I agree he is a great guy. but Quickie air planes should not be flown over the field pit and parking lot at top Nelson speed when there are people under them. most club members think that I am against any thing that is not scale but the truth is I think this hobby should be enjoyed by whatever type model one likes! but not at the risk of others especialy at a controled club field. this is not the basin!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:26 AM
BasinBum

Dale,
The key issue here seems to be the overfly's of pit and parking lot areas. If this indeed is happening than it needs to be addressed and corrected but from what I read on the club website there is some discrepency as to whether this is a routine occurance. I don't think it would be tolerated at your club the same as it is not tolerated at the Basin and people who feel unsafe would put a stop to it at either field.

From the vague description in your initial post and how you started this thread to what the problem really is makes me feels that your taste in flying styles does enter into the equation and that your not tolerant of change at the airfield.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:07 AM
scale dail

Have you seen our field? the pit is not very far from the runway,less than half of what it is at the basin. it is true that I feel more comfortable in our pits with the typical trainer/sport type plane flying the regular pattern than high speed racing planes flying a simulated race cource. and I pit on the north end of the pit where they round pylon 3? I cant stop thinking about the quickie that shed its wing and torpedoed strait through the pits at the last basin race.could that never happen agian?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Low Wing

There is no way we would let high speed models with Nelson motor's fly from the center of the field with even one or two close calls around the pitt's or parking lot...They need a day or time to do that when no one else is flying...You guy's know pylon racing is outlaw-ed from the AMA, there is a reason why...

I see your still inferring things about people out here, like what they really mean but didn't say as if you were some kinda physic yourself basinbum...
Old 07-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Cactus.

we have our flyer of the year comp soon.
one event will be pylon, we make our FUNFLYS! go as fast as poss and you stand right by turn one with the time keeper telling you when you can turn.
if the winds going the wrong way from turn 3 to 1 you'll be headding for the pits. we all had FUN! shouting at the poor sod flying at the time and trying to put him off when he headded too close.

a few lost it at turn one and went in, but it's an accepted risk.

if your pits are too close move something.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:36 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You guy's know pylon racing is outlaw-ed from the AMA, there is a reason why...
Now isn,t that statement the height of ignorance. Seems stange if the AMA had outlawed pylon then you would think it odd that just a few weeks ago the AMA pylon nationals were held in Muncie and on the safer three pole course (pilots fly around them selves). And of course the AMA continues to issue pylon competition sanctions at the fields of AMA chartered clubs as well as elsewhere. (I suppose you also don,t know there really no such thing as an "AMA field" Save perhaps for the NFS).

This whole thing is just about a disgrutled self centered flyer that does not want to allow any venues that is not in 'His' current interest.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Live Wire

Its great when some people go from site to site to show off how good they are and breake every rule in the book and get by with it because they fly fast plane's and never have to rebuild one. Then there are others that catch all the flaque when some thing gos wrong. They can't buy a new plane every week when some thing go's wrong, of coarse they are the ones that try to follow the rules and Build what they fly! Changing times.
The new trend is more power. And how much money you can invest in what you want to play with
Old 07-30-2004, 08:24 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

...You guy's know pylon racing is outlaw-ed from the AMA, there is a reason why...
The careless statement above is grossly incorrect and if the need to point that fact out makes you uncomfortable RC Outlaw then that is sad but so be it.

There is far to much self destructive in house bickering among all modeling venues for the collective good of us all as a modeling fraternity. There is indeed room for us all and the truly well rounded flyers will attempt to succeed in as many widely varied venues as possible. That is what make this activity so wonderful, think about it.

Rotor flyers hate plank flyers, plank flyers hate park flyers, jet flyers hate them all, sport flyers hate pylon flyers, Every body hates Ukie flyers, glow flyers hate electric flyers and so on and so on. Its a long list in a thousand combinations.

That is the situation that prompted this thread. Gentlemen is it time we all do as little inward reflection and learn a little tolerance? We all have so much to gain.

John
Old 07-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Low Wing

Hey John Buckner...more like a case of miss-information...I was told by an devoted pylon racer at our field that the AMA was no longer sponsoring those event's...We were talking about hosting a race at our club and that was what I was told, excuse the crapp out of me...George Bush was told Iraq had nuke's...It's happens...The story I heard was that There was a fatal accident and a judge was killed in the cage...Ok' now was a man killed or not (am I wrong about that to)...That is more of a point/issue that fit's with this thread in my mind...I have a ShoeString a Gee Bee R2 and a Dago Red...That's what I think of pylon racing...We have a high wing pylon race at our club meets and it is fun as heck (my idea by the way)...But' people flying from the middle of the field at/near other people who are trying to fly is a joke and way out of line...major bull-crapp...check your fire Sir'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.