Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anyone built Starduster Too? RCM #1070

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anyone built Starduster Too? RCM #1070

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:18 PM
damifino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone built Starduster Too? RCM #1070

Has anyone built the Starduster Too biplane by Martin Fallandy (RCM plan #1070). I've ordered the plans. Just curious if any are out there. The plans were published in 1990 and build into a beautiful 72" WS bird.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:37 PM
biplane bill
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Anyone built Starduster Too? RCM #1070

Its been a year since you posted this with no reply. I just ordered the plans #1080 though, I believe. Did you ever build this plane? If so please let me know of any hangups.

Bill
Old 07-16-2005, 06:07 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont know how i missed the original post ,but yes i have built the Starduster Too from RCM plans.
If i can answer any questions i'll try
Chris
Old 07-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Do you have pictures? What engine did you use and how did it perform?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:24 PM
CK1

I think there is a pic in my gallery , click galery under my post
I have a Brison 3.2 in it , and it is plenty of power for this plane
Just a note here, if your biulding one build as light as possible you can lighten formers and truss work significantly
This thing is designed like a tank so you can lighten it up a lot with no worries about structural integrity
My all up weight ended up at 18.5 lbs , i easily could have shaved another 2 pounds while building by use of more lightening holes and lighter covering materials
I used Super Coverite and painted with Sig Dope.
It flies great at 18.5 but would be a lot better around 16 or 17 pounds
Old 07-20-2005, 09:02 PM
damifino

BIPLANEBILL, I have not built the Starduster yet. I have bought the wood and haven't had time to start.

CK1, Sure builds into a beautiful plane, good job. Last year a co-worker/friend and I were kicking around the idea of building a full- size Starduster Too when I decided to order the model plans and he bought the full-size plan set. He has since started buying materials to build a full-size Super Cub. He gave me a couple of older EAA magazines with pictures of the real thing and I've been struck by the beauty of it's lines ever since. It was a matter of days after recieving the plans last year that a picture of a model Starduster was in RC Report (was it you?). Since we are at least in the same state maybe I'll be able to see your plane sometime? Let me know of any events you plan to attend. Before signing off, a couple of questions: Did you buy the cowling from Stan's or Fiberglass Specialties? Would you do anything differently as far as engine choice? Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Lightfoot

I got a chance to ride in a Starduster II a few years ago...what a thrill. I can't afford a full-scale so I have wanted a model of it since then.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:09 PM
CK1

damifino , sorry it took so long to get back to you.
The wheel pants and cowling came from Fiberglass Specialties
I think i would try to find a more scale cowl and wheel pants , i'm not sure if Stans would be better or not.
I also believe a lighter engine choice would be better .
The Brison 3.2 has excellent power /weight but the plane could use an over-all diet
Maybe a new Saito 220 or a Moki 2.10 would be better weight wise in this plane
The cowl is very small so any glow engine would be easier to keep in the cowling than a gas engine , but i'm a die hard gas man so i made it fit as good as possible
Over all its a easy plane to build if your'e experienced at building from plans .
For those that have only assembled kits it may be a bit challenging.
The difficulties for me were in setting the cabanes for the proper incidence on the top wing
You know the whole music wire bending ,shaping , soldering thing .
Good Luck with your build , holler if i can help

Editted because of run-together words caused the filter to blank out part, "bit challenging".
Old 08-10-2005, 11:39 PM
biplane bill

I have started cutting my "kit" for the starduster. The fuse sides, some formers and a few ribs call for a lamination on 1/64 ply over balsa sheet. What type of contact cement do you use for this? Regular ol elmers contact cement or something else. What suggestions do you have to lighten her up?

Bill
Old 08-20-2005, 01:22 PM
damifino

One key to laminating is use a lot of weight to press the laminates together while the glue dries. Wood glue works great. All you need is a nice, even, fairly thin layer of glue.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:16 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

CK, What a beautiful model. The real one is super-nice, too. Since buying my first little ARF bipe, it's whetted my appetite for bigger, etc. I also have a gas engine that's in a plane I'm getting a bit tired of, but might be a bit much for the Starduster if you say a 3.2 is plenty. Would a US-41 be entirely too much?. There's a full scale one of these at a local strip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21547.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	313014  
Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Vmaasec

I bought a set of these plans with the intention of biulding it several years ago, never have gotten around to it, I have sent the plans of to get a laser cut kit done. I am going away from the lamination option and just using ply, with the option of making lighteneing hole to save weight elsewhere.

You mentioned you used a 3.2 brisson and it had plenty of power, as I'm not into gas planes I was going to use either the OS 160 Fx, or the OS BGX, have you any suggestions over either one.

thanks for any replies

chris
Old 11-27-2005, 09:54 PM
semi_conscious

I bought a Starduster Too at an auction and was wondering if anyone knew where the CG is suppose to be. it's got a Quadra 42 in it. Top Wing is 72" and bottom is 66". Fuse length is 59" to front of cowling. I have no clue what plans it was built from. Any help would be appriciated.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:47 PM
biplane bill

Still Building on mine. Send me a email and Ill look up the CG for you. I dont check in here very often

[email protected]

Bill

Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
dirtybird

I have a set of plans for this model with an 80 " wingspan. This is a beautiful set of plans with much detail. I will sell them for $40 + shipping.
PM me
Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 PM
alpinestar

Here I go reviving another long lost thread...
I have had the plans for this plane since the article came out in 1990 (!) and am thinking of starting in on it this winter.
What finished weights are people coming in with?? I have a 3W-42 which may work well, if not that then a DL-50 would fit the bil (gotta be gas)
Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 AM
semi_conscious

hey! coincidently.. we just maidened the starduster too i posted about in 2005.. (it's now my buddy's).. i think it weighs in at about 25 or 27 pounds with the quadra 42.. the 42 just barely had enough power to give it what i would call 'scale power' .. once we got it leaned a little.. and the controls set up right.. it flew really nice.. no bad habits at all.. one guy commented that if he didn't know it was a model.. he would swear it looked like a full scale starduster flying buy.. this thing was built a loooong time ago.. and built heavy.. there are so many places you could shave the weight down.. even with ailerons on top and bottom wings.. it still has a pretty slow roll rate.. id' be interested in knowing how it flies with more power.. so if you build it..be sure to report back!..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71675.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	818318  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
alpinestar

looks great! what did you use for covering, is it film or paint? Did you build per plans with the laminated formers?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
flyrcboy

Alpinestar,

Have you started this project yet? I have a copy of those plans as well and would like to build one. I've shyed away from it because of the weight. I didn't want to build something that is heavy and wouldn't perform very well.

If you build it, I'd like to hear more about it. ... I'd also like to know how to reduce the weight on it.