Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fun Fly Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 11:30 AM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun Fly Games

We are hosting our fourth annual fun fly this weekend, what are some fun games that you have done to keep the crowd and pilots entertained.

We like to take apart a VHS tape and pull it around and chase and cut with other planes.
It is amazing how long they are at least 1000 ft.
REMEMBER IF YOU TRY THIS TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC LOCK THAT SECURES THE TAPE TO THE REEL.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:47 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fun Fly Games

We have two that we like to do each funfly. One is to attach a styrofoam cup to your plane. (Trainers work well for this with the rubber bands.) We then put 10 beans in the cup an have the flyer take off, fly one circuit and then land. We count the beans to see who has the most left after landing. It is surprising how many flyers come back without any. BTW: To attach the cup to the plane, we use popcicle sticks stuck across and through the bottom of the cup. Just make sure no one puts the stick up above the bottom to hold the beans in.

And two: We call it the prop buster. The flyer puts his plane on the runway without the prop. We take a chair and place the prop on it and yell go. The time runs until the flyer runs out to his plane, puts the prop on, starts the engine, takes off, does 3 loops, 3 rolls, then lands, takes the prop off and places it back on the chair. It is a gas to watch us out of shape participants trying to make it a fast drill.

Oh...and we also do the limbo. Start at 10' and drop 1 ft on each subsequent pass. Right side up is 1 point and inverted passes get 2.

We give away prizes for those who win each event, then an overall for the person wining the most events. Last year, we gave away a gallon of fuel to the one who made it through all of the funfly events with plane intact, but not winning any single event. I know this because I took home the gallon of fuel....lol Well, it was my FIRST funfly.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:14 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Take same cup and put golf ball in it ... take off, 1 pattern, come around do a roll and try to precision drop it on a mark.

Careful though ... if they keep their eye on the ball ... bye bye plane.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:26 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not for the faint of heart: (insert your faveorite name here ) International airport.

Draw a line across you runway splitting it roughly in half. The goal is to have each flyer land on the downwind half roll across the midpoint and take off on the upwind half. If he lands after the midpoint, or takes off before the midpoint, or misses the runway all together the pilot is out. For the solo game see how many of these precision touch and goes the member can perform, or how many can be complete in a fixed amount of time. Many years ago when he first got started TOC flyer Sean McMurtry completed 11 complete touch and goes in ONE Minute. They were more like loops over the midpoint of therunnway with a little wheel rolling added to be leagal.

And for the real fun put up as many contestants as you think that are safe to fly. They each must follow the above rules AND they cannot be on the same part of the runway as another flyer. In other words no formation landings and the second landing can only happen after the first landing has crossed the midpoint line and is on the takeoff side of the line. Likewise the second landing cannot cross the midpoint untill the first plane is off the ground. Lastly you must remain in your landing sequence! No cutting inside a guy on a long final no going around if the guy infront of you won't get off the runway. But intentional stalling or delaying on the runway is a disquaifier too.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Poker.
Divide the center area of the runway into five spaces about 15 feet each. The first space is 10, the next Jack, the third Queen and so forth. You get five touch and goes to make the best poker hand that you can. I've seen a pair of tens win.

Depending on the experience of the pilots we allow as many 'go arounds' as needed, but if you kill the engien you're done.

We use the paper (or foam) cup to do "Bomb Drops". Using a small ball or hard cardboard tube painted fluorescent orange so it's easier to find. It's surprising how many people have trouble dropping the thing. Hint; a loop works well as long as you're not to fast at the top.
Dennis-
Old 07-30-2004, 07:21 AM
changed
Banned

We have used the cup on the plane, but we put raw eggs in the cup. The idea is to take off, make a complete circle around the field, and land without breaking the egg. Another Idea is to use helium balloons tied at different heights and the person that pops the most ballons wins.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:29 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ETA - Estimated Time of Arrival.

Take off, do a circuit, and call "TIME". An official starts a timer and you have 60 seconds to land. Whoever is closest to 60 seconds wins (Or whoever is closest without going OVER 60 seconds)

PS, Pilots must remove their wristwatches before takeoff.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Table top touch and goes. Do spot T&G's on a picnic table. Thats fun. Or musical airplanes. Play music and have everyone flying, and when is stops the last one to land is out, and keep on going till its down to 2 flying. Bomb drop is another one.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:16 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The bomb drop described above is a blast. I saw it done with small ballons. Dead stick loops can be fun also. It's more a battle of nerves than skill. You have the pilot take off and climb for 30 seconds. He then has to kill the engine and do as many loops as possible before landing. The other is called a Redneck Wreck. It's a timed event. From a stop it's a takeoff , three loops, three rolls, three snaps and then land. Quickest time wins.

David
Old 07-30-2004, 10:07 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Place a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood in the center of the runway, Paint a bulls eye on it. Start from 300 foot up, go straight down,Pilot that hits the bulls eye with the engine nut wins. (or looses, whatever.)
Old 07-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Longaly

HAAAAAAAA!!!! Good one Wayne!
Old 07-30-2004, 12:55 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost forgot the One Ounce Time guess.

Get an old sig fueling Handy Flight Fueler syrige. The competitor empies his fuel tank and runs the engine till it won't run any more. Now give him exactly 1 ounce of fuel. He now has to gues how long the airplane will run at full throttle on that one ounce to the nearest second. You can award prizes for longest run, or closest guess or the longest flight total time. Nice thing about this novices don't have to fly the just guess the time. And just to give a clue the average .40 to .46 will run up to 2 min 10 seconds. I was shocked when my little old HP .21 four stroke ran for 5 min 38 seconds on ONE OUNCE!

Tom
Old 07-30-2004, 01:34 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

my club has been trying yo have a picnic for about a month, but it has always rained out, we are trying again Sunday, but here is the list of events that someone made up

Spot Landing Event (12:00PM): (Mark a spot on the runway and whoever lands (wheels [or nose cone of need be] touch the spot) closest to the spot wins. Judged 1-10 (1 is the farthest, 10 is on the mark)

Shortest Touch and Go Event (1:00 PM): I think it's pretty self explanitory... whoever can touch the shortest and go wins. Judged 1-10 (1 is the longest, 10 is the shortest.)

Fastest Roll Event (2:00 PM): Who can roll the plane the fastest. 3 rolls total in series; fastest person wins. Same 1-10 (1 is the slowest, 10 is the fastest)

Tightest Loop Event (3:00 PM): Same as above, but the tightest single loop. Last thing I need is someone burying their plane and it be my fault... Same 1-10 judging as above.

Freestyle Event (4:00 PM): You have 2 minutes to impress the judges on your flying prowess. Same 1-10 judging... 1 is the worst, 10 the best) One Rule: NO (and I mean NO Flying over or behind the pit area). Have plenty of area in front of the field to fly. Flying over the pits is an automatic ZERO for the event.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 PM
DBCherry

Shortest Touch and Go Event (1:00 PM): I think it's pretty self explanitory... whoever can touch the shortest and go wins. Judged 1-10 (1 is the longest, 10 is the shortest.)
I think this will be pretty hard to judge. I see an awful lot of people bounce the plane once and think they've done a "touch and go". What I'm saying is, it's pretty easy to do a short touch and go. A better event might be who can do the longest touch and go. ie. Touch down as close to the beginning of the runway as possible, keep rolling for as long as you dare before taking off again. (This event won't work unless you have brush or trees at the end of the runway.)
Tightest Loop Event (3:00 PM): Same as above, but the tightest single loop.
Again, this one sounds like it's a subjective thing, or a judgement call. The perception of how tight the loop is could vary by the size of the plane, it's altitude, etc.

Hope you have fun with the picnic!
Dennis-
Old 07-30-2004, 10:40 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

r/c skeet gets my vote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:35 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Hay PlaneJim, we do that ! Really,
We have a Paint Ball shooting. A member donated a trainer and we sell Paint Ball shots at it 10 for a Dollar,
You will be amazed at the condition and how a plane can still fly with holes in the wings and fuse. big enough to chunk a cat through and ailerons hanging off the wings.

Then we do the Bulls Eye thing with it.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:42 AM
TTARK

I am Cding a "UGLY STICK" fun fly in October, One of the events will be a "Timed Aerobatics" event, ie take off, Stall Turn, two loops, immelman turn, three rolls, split S and land, this is a timed event time starts when wheel leave the runway, and stops at touchdown. All the planes must be "Stick Type" planes. Gp big stick, ultra stick, super stick etc. We are allowing Miss Martha type planes as well

Terry
Old 07-31-2004, 03:00 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Fly two planes straight at eachother. The first one to pull up/away losses.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:31 PM
The PIPE

Default Here's some MORE event ideas...

Dear Jim Estes and 'hookedonrc"

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...and straight from a posting at "another" forum. here's "Botle Rocket War"'s ideas for Fun Fly events...but first I've got a little piece for "hookedonrc" about a time I flew a "Don't Spill the Beans" event like YOU described!

"Some TWENTY years ago I had THIS little beauty of a bipe for fun flying...(and I STILL have it, but it IS in need of SERIOUS restoration these days before IT flys again)...

...my 42 inch wingspan, Gordon Whitehead designed Bücker Jungmeister (built from plans in the January 1982 RC Modeler magazine) dedicated to the most successful "mixed-gender" recording act of all time, Scandinavia's ABBA...and I managed to WIN a fun-fly event up in Maine, flying against bigger sport model designs in a "Don't Spill the Beans" style of event, where a model aircraft had to take off, do three traffic patterns of the field, and then land WITHOUT losing any of the dried beans that were placed in a styrofoam cup that was rubber-banded onto the model's wings over some tongue depressors that had been epoxied onto the cup's bottom. The ABBABIPE managed to TWICE do the required maneuver in that event without spilling a SINGLE bean...the ONLY model to achieve the feat that day...so the ABBABIPE Jungmeister HAD become a winner in more ways than one to me!"

Now to Botle Rocket War's fun fly events...

"High Speed/Low Speed
Object: To demonstrate the high speed and slow flight capability of the airplane and pilot.
Event: The pilot will make two high and tow low speed passes the length of the runway. The assistant timers will indicate when the plane has crossed the ends of the runway. The low speed pass must be made down wind. Or in the direction indicated by the event director. The high-speed passes may be made in either direction at the option of the pilot. The timed passes will be in level flight and below will be cause for no score on the pass. The greatest difference in time between the fastest high speed pass and the slowest low speed pass will determine the winner.
Handicap: None.

Land And Taxi
Object: take-off, fly one circuit of the pattern and make a short field landing passing a designated point. Turn 180 on the runway and return past a second designated point. Make another 180 turn and take-off again. This sequence will be repeated 4 times.
Event: This is a timed task and the shortest time will determine the winner. The time will start when the throttle is opened for the first take-off and time will stop when the airplane taxis back across the take-off line after the third landing has been completed. No engine restarts will be allowed. A time limit of three minutes is placed on the task.
Alternate: Beginners will do only 3 take-off and landings.

Limbo
Object: Make a designated number of passes under a limbo ribbon in the shortest possible time.
Event: A limbo ribbon will be placed across the runway at a height of 5 feet. The pilot will start his take-off from a designated point on the runway. He will fly four passes under the ribbon as quickly as possible and then touch down. The take-off, all passes, and landing must be in the same direction. The shortest time will determine the winner. Timing will start when the throttle is opened for take-off and timing will stop at touchdown. If any part of the airplane touches the ground, limbo ribbon, or limbo poles during the attempt, a minimum score will be given. A four-minute time limit is placed on the task.
Alternate: Beginners will make only three limbo passes.

Climb and Glide
Object: Make a maximum performance climb for a time to be at the option of the pilot, but not to exceed one minute. The pilot will then stop the engine and glide for as long as possible. This is a timed task with the winner to be determined by the best ratio of climb to glide.
Event: The climb time will start when the throttle is opened for take-off and will stop when the pilot that his plane's engine is shut down. Timing of the glide will begin at engine shut down and will stop at touchdown on landing. The glide time will be divided by the clime time. The larger value determines the winner.
Handicap: Fifteen seconds will be added to expert climb time.

Climb and Spin
Object: Make a maximum performance climb for not to exceed 25 seconds, enter a spin and do the maximum number of turns before recovery. The greatest number of turns will determine the winner.
Event: Climb timing will start when the throttle is opened for take-off and the timer will notify the pilot when to retard the throttle. The aircraft must not be allowed to climb out of sight; turns that can't be seen will not be counted.
Handicap: Beginners climb time will be not to exceed forty seconds.

Timed Touch and Go Landings
Object: Make five touch and go landings in the shortest possible time.
Event: All take-offs and landings will be made into the wind or in a direction indicated by the event director. At least one main landing gear wheel must touch the runway to be counted as a landing. Wing tip touches will not be counted as landings. Timing will start when the throttle is opened for take-off and will stop at touch down after the fifth take-off has been completed. The shortest time will determine the winner. A four-minute time limit is placed on the event. No engine restarts are allowed.
Alternate: Beginners will be required to do only 3 touch and go landings.

Land Over An Obstacle
Object: Make a landing approach over an obstacle, land, and come to a stop in the shortest distance.
Event: A ribbon will be placed across the approach end of the runway at a height of 10 feet. The pilot will fly his approach to pass over the ribbon and land on the runway in the shortest possible distance. This is not a timed task, however a two-minute time limit is imposed. Any landing made after the time limit will receive a minimum score. The pilot may make any number of landing passes as long as no part of the model touches the ground and the time limit doesn't expire. The distance will be measured from a point on the runway centerline under the ribbon to the nearest part of the model. The model must come to a stop on the runway. If the airplane lands under the ribbon, breaks the ribbon, or stops off the runway a minimum score will be given.
Handicap: Twenty-five feet will be subtracted from the sportsman distance.

Loops And Landings
Object: Take-off, make three loops and a touch and go landing, and repeat this sequence 3 times in the shortest possible time.
Event: The take-offs and landing will be into the wind or in the direction indicated by the event director. If the pilot makes the loops but misses the touch he must make another pass and complete the touch and go before continuing the sequence. At least one main wheel must touch to qualify as a landing. Timing will start when the throttle is opened for take-off and will stop at the last touchdown. The loops must be recognizable. No engine restarts will be allowed. A time limit of 4 minutes is placed on the task.
Alternate: Beginners will make one loop and a touch-and-go and repeat the sequence 3 times.

Rolls And Landings
Object: Take-off, perform a roll, do a touch and go landing, and repeat this sequence four times in the shortest possible time.
Event: All take-offs and landings must be into the wind or in a direction indicated by the event director. Rolls may be aileron or rudder rolls (barrel rolls). At least one main gear wheel must touch to qualify as a landing. If the pilot makes rolls but misses the touch he must make another pass and touch and go before the next sequence. The timing begins when the throttle is opened for take-off and stops at the last touchdown. A time limit of four minutes is placed on this task. The shortest time will determine the winner. No engine restarts are allowed.
Handicap: Sportsman will be required to do only 3 sequences of take-off, roll, and touchdown.

Loop, Roll And Land
Object: Take-off, perform a roll, a loop, and a touch and go landing.
Event: This sequence will be repeated four times in the shortest possible time. All take offs and landings must be into the wind or in a direction indicated by the event director. Timing begins when the throttle is opened for take off and stops at the fourth touchdown. No engine restarts are allowed. The shortest time determines the winner. At least one main landing gear wheel must touch to qualify as a landing. If the pilot completes the loop and roll but misses the landing he must make another pass and a touch and go before the next sequence. A time limit of four minutes is imposed on this task.
Handicap: Beginners will be required to don only two sequences of loop, roll, and land.

Figure Eights and Land
Object: Take off; perform four figure eights (Cuban Eight, reverse Cuban eight, or Horizontal eight is acceptable) and land in as short a time as possible.
Event: Timing will begin when the throttle is opened for take off and will stop at touchdown. The shortest time wins. The figure eights must be recognizable. A time limit of three minutes is placed on this task.
Handicap: Beginners will be required to perform only two figure eights.

Forced Landing
Object: Demonstrate skill in performing a safe, dead stick landing.
Event: A spot at the center of the runway will be designated as the landing target. The pilot will be given one minute to take off, climb to altitude and position his airplane for engine shutdown. The altitude and position over the field for shutdown is the option of the pilot but the airplane will not be in the landing pattern. After shutting the engine down the pilot will attempt to make a dead stick landing on the runway, coming to a stop as close to the spot as possible. A measurement will be taken from the spot to the nearest part of the airplane. The shortest distance wins. The airplane must come to a stop on the runway. Any airplane stopping off the runway will not receive a score. The pilot may chose to use engine idle in lieu of actual shutdown. If the throttle is opened from the idle position at any time after the landing procedure is started the pilot will not receive a score.
Handicap: Beginners will be scored for off runway landings within 100 feet of the spot and 25 feet will be subtracted from beginner scores.

Timed Flight
Object: Take off, fly around, and land as close as possible to an assigned time.
Event: a roll of the dice will determine the pilot's assigned time. An odd number roll will be for two minutes, an even number roll will be for three minutes, and if a double is rolled the time will be for one and one half minutes. Timing will start when the throttle is opened for take off and will stop when the airplane touches down. The winner will be the pilot whose flight time is the closest to his assigned time.

Don't Spill the Beans
Object: Take off, fly around for one minute and land without losing any of the beans.
Event: An open Styrofoam cup must be attached to the top of the airplane. Twenty-five dry beans will be placed loose in the cup. The pilot will take off, fly around for one minute and land with out losing any of the beans. After the airplane has landed the beans will be taken from the cup. The pilot returning with the largest number of beans will be the winner. The event director will furnish the cups, beans, and rubber bands, etc...to secure the cup to the airplane. No restraint systems of any kind can be used in or over the cup.
Handicap: Expert pilots must execute a loop or a roll during the one minute flight. An aileron roll or a rudder roll (barrel roll) will be acceptable.

Egg Drop
Object: Drop an egg from an attached cup as close as possible to the designated target.
Event: A Styrofoam cup must be attached to the top of the airplane. A target will be designated on the runway. The egg may be released by looping, rolling, or pitching the airplane. No radio controlled release mechanism will be allowed. The distance from the target to the point of impact of the egg will be measured. The pilot whose egg lands closest to the target wins. Eggs that land over 150 feet from the target will not receive a score.
Handicap: Beginners distance will be divided by two.

Slalom Taxi, Take Off And Land
Object: Taxi around obstacles, take off and land in the shortest time.
Event: A slalom course of water filled Styrofoam cups will be placed on the taxiway leading to the runway. The cups will be placed on the centerline and ten feet apart. The object of the task is to taxi from the edge of the pit area, through the slalom course and take off. Once in the air the pilot will make as short a circuit of the field as possible, land and taxi across a finish line marked on the other taxi way. The pilot accomplishing this task in the shortest period of time wins. Ten seconds will be added to the time for each cup that is hit or knocked over. No engine restarts will be allowed.
Handicap: Twenty seconds will be subtracted from beginner's time.

Precision Touch and Go
Object: Land in one of 4 marked areas assigned a point value. Highest score wins.
Event: Five lines will be marked across the runway. The first line will be 10 feet from the approach end of the runway. The next line will be 15 feet from the first line. Each succeeding line will be 5 feet farther from the proceeding line (i.e. 20, 25, 30 feet). Each area between the lines will be assigned a point value. The area at the approach end of the runway will have a value of 25 points. Each succeeding area will be 5 points less that the preceding area. The object of this task is to make 5 touch and go landings with the touch down in the area with the highest value. The pilot with the highest number of points after the five landings will be the winner. This is not a timed event but a time limit of 4 minutes is imposed on the task. Any landings made after the time limit will receive a zero score. Any touchdown on the over run (in the grass) or past the last line on the runway will receive a zero score. Missed approaches and go arounds are allowed however any touchdown will be counted as one of the five landings. No engine restarts are allowed.

Poker Hand Touch And Go
Object: Make a winning poker hand with card values awarded for the area in which touch down is made.
Event: Lines will be placed across the approach end of the runway at 15-foot intervals. The area formed between these lines will be given card values of Ace, King, Queen, Jack and 10 with the Ace nearest to the approach end of the runway. The pilot will make 5 touch and go landings. He will be given the card value of his point of touchdown on each landing. Any touch down outside of the designated area will be counted and will receive no card. This is not a timed task, however a four-minute time limit is imposed. No cards will be awarded after the time limit has expired. Missed approaches and go arounds are allowed if no touch down occurs and the time limit has not expired. Engine restarts will not be allowed.
Handicap: Beginners may convert any one card that has been awarded to a wild card to improve their hand.

Aborted Flight
Object: Demonstrate the ability of aborting a flight after crossing the departure end of the runway.
Event: After crossing the departure end of the runway, making a 180 degree change in direction, and landing back on the departure end of the runway. This is a timed event and the pilot who can perform this task in the shortest time wins. Time begins when the throttle is opened for take off and ends when the airplane comes to a stop. The airplane must stop on the runway. Pilots whose plane stops off the runway will receive no score.
Handicap: Fifteen seconds will be subtracted from beginner's scores.

Luck Roll Touch And Go
Object: Roll the dice to determine the number of touch and go landings.
Event: Each pilot will roll the dice to determine the number of touch and go landings they will be required to make for this task. This is a timed task and the pilot who does his required touch and go landings in the shortest time will win. At least one main gear wheel must touch the runway to be counted as a landing. Wing touches will not be counted. Timing will begin when the throttle is opened for take off and will stop at touch down after the last required touch and go has been completed. No engine restarts are allowed.
Handicap: Experts will roll a pair of dice. Beginners will roll a single die."

Hope these Fun Fly events from "Botle Rocket War" can be of some help to you...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:26 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A few we've tried at my club.
Two person teams. Pilot stands with his back to the runway. Team member directs pilot taxing through a simple obstacle course. Lowest cumulative time wins.
Single pilot variation. A large clip on mirror is placed on the antenna. Pilot stands with back to the plane and steers through an obstacle course, looking over shoulder is cheating.
Windy weather one. Limbo type set-up, object is to place the aircraft as close to a line between the poles and make a maximum effort take-off to clear the cross bar. Closest start to the bars wins.
Place a chair on top of a picnic table. Pilot or assistant starts plane. Pilot climbs into chair, does a take-off, flys a designated pattern or maybe a couple loops or rolls, then lands. Timed from wheels leaving ground to the wheels touch for landing. You'd be amazed how being an extra three or four feet up affects your coordination and depth perception.
Carrier landing. Carrier marked off on runway. Arrestor cables are strong cords attached to 5 lb sandbags and held off the ground on pieces of 2X4. Arrestor hooks are usually bent wire coat hangers attached to the main lg. Usually, the winner was the only pilot to make a trap, although one day we had two make it. Winner had all his plane on the marked deck, second place had his port wing and wheel in the drink.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:56 PM
signalrk
My Feedback: (1)

Target Parachute Drop:
Use the cup method mentioned previously but put a parachute (homemade or toy of the pilots choosing) in the cup. The object is to drop the parachute out of the cup (it must deploy to be counted) and try to get it to land in a designated area. (wind, parachute drop speed and thermals all take into account) Have a point system for the areas around the runway. ex. 30 points for the runway 20 points for areas just outside of the runway and 10 points further out. Pilots are required to gain altitude until a reasonable height to be judged by others and then told they may drop their chute out of the cup at any time at that approximate altitude.

Hop-Scotch
Rows of balloons are laid out across the runway at even distances -----I-------I--------I-----. Pilots must land after the first row then hop over the second row and then touch and go to take off before the third row. This is usually pretty hard...... on the planes!

Runway of Balloons.
Balloons are laid out in two rows down the runway just far enough apart that a plane can clear them on takeoff and landing. ------:::::::::::------
(You can experiment on width according to skill.) Pilots are challenged to takeoff in a straight line without breaking any balloons and then to land the same way. Points taken off for broken balloons.

Balloon Placing Tip:
We usually pin the balloons to the ground using golf tees.

Team Takeoff and Landings.
A chosen number of pilots per team attempt to take-off (one at a time) until every team member is in the air. Once the last plane to takeoff has left the ground the team can begin to land one at a time. A particular (taxi off) spot can be designated so that the next plane does not have clearance to land until the previous plane is in the taxi area. The team with the shortest time wins.

Dead Stick Precision Landing:
Pilots must kill their engine at a time of their choosing, then perform one oval lap at least the length of the runway and try to land in a designated area of the runway. You can have 5 different point areas marked with flour or chalk. -----10-x-20-x-30-x-20-x-10---.

Modified- One-Minute clime then timed glide event.
Pilots have one minute to takeoff and climb as high as possible. Then they are required to kill their engine immediately and roll to inverted. Then they shall try to glide inverted as long as possible. The time stops when the plane rolls right-side-up. Makes for some interesting landings with rolls just before touchdown.

My friends at Signal Chasers R/C Club have used these and I'd like to thank them for all the fun I've had participating.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:38 AM
TTARK

How about this one for a spot landing event, Line up balloon down the center of the runway, red balloon in center the a white on either side of that, then blue outside of that etc, Object is spot landing and score is forst balloon broken red 10 points, white eights etc. so you could just miss the white balloon and break the red one for max point, but only ten feet between balloons

Terry