Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How do your wives feel about RC hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How do your wives feel about RC hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Treker NCC-1701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do your wives feel about RC hobby?

Hi All,

I am pretty new to RC Universe, so please forgive me if someone has already asked this question. But I was wondering how most guys wives/significant others feel about your R/C Aircraft hobby?

In our club it seems like most of the wives are just tolerant of our pasttime. A few are supportive, and a few are downright hostile. As for me I feel pretty lucky. At least my wife is in the very tolerant catagory. She has let me take over half the family room in the basement as my building shop and hanger with nary a whimper. She also has come to the field with me once or twice. I still haven't talked her into attending our annual club banquet, but I think this just may be the year.

So guys, let's hear from you. How do your wives feel about your hobby? Hostile, tolerant, supportive? Or maybe somewhere in between?

Later,

Jay Bickford
Old 08-05-2004, 11:20 PM
aimmaintenance

Default RE: How do your wives feel about RC hobby?

I have 2 main hobbies. Hunting and RC.
At least with RC she doesn't have to clean pheasants or deer or whatever else I bring home.
RC keeps her hands cleaner.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:22 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I'm guessing she's so sick of Star Trek that RC is a welcome relief.

Live long and prosper.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:29 PM
BillyGoat

Doesn't say much... I've been doing this for 18 years and we've been married for 15.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Treker NCC-1701

I was into Star Trek when she met me, so she knew what she was getting there. The RC thing is newer, but I think she is actually more tolerant of it than ST. She even told me I should replace my ST decoration with airplane posters and such. I guess airplanes are easier to explain to the relatives...
Old 08-06-2004, 01:05 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck, my wife told me to go flying today gotta love that
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70268.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	161078  
Old 08-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

John, if I had a bird that pretty, she would go and take pictures.
My wife knows I have one hobby that I enjoy so she expects me to be gone all day saturday and half a day on sunday.

ORIGINAL: JohnVH
Old 08-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Jay

My wife's feelings about my hobbies will vary on the situation at the time.

If I should be cutting the lawn etc. but are instead painting a 1/4 scale Cub, the
hostile mood along with several comments will surface. I'm fairly active around the
house and keep things in good repair and looking good , so for the most part I'd
say that she is supportive and tolerant.

Never once has she ever complained when I'm gone all day to a AMA type event.

Regards
Roby
Old 08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

John, that one is just toooooooooooooooo easy, so I'll just leave it alone.

My wife is very supportive. Heck she even buys me airplane stuff for Christmas and such.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:15 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you one of those guys that have their basement turned into the bridge of the Enterprise, or maybe your bedroom? Then we can see why she wants a change in your hobby.
I'm just waiting to see the RC version of your Klingon Battlecruiser and Federation Heavy Cruiser.
My wife supports me, but hates RC planes because they are noisy, stink, and take up a lot of time and room. But she is still very supportive.
Scott
ORIGINAL: Treker NCC-1701

I was into Star Trek when she met me, so she knew what she was getting there. The RC thing is newer, but I think she is actually more tolerant of it than ST. She even told me I should replace my ST decoration with airplane posters and such. I guess airplanes are easier to explain to the relatives...
Old 08-06-2004, 07:21 AM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

HOSTILE ??[X(][X(] My wife says if I die first, She's gonna pile ALL my planes up in the front lawn, with my body on top and light it up using my 15 % as starter fluid !![X(]

Ugo
Old 08-06-2004, 07:34 AM
jettstarblue

My wife has tolerated me and my planes for the whole time I've been doing it. (16 years or so). She used to be more supportive than she is now, in that she was always in the shop, or at the field. Now, since she doesn't fly, she has slacked off, and has her own things to do when I'm flying. She still hangs out in the shop, and helps me build models, as well as ultralights though.
Never once has she *****ed that I spend too much time or money on it. Of course we ARE on an equal/equal basis as far as the money goes.......no really, we are........
Old 08-06-2004, 08:26 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I think my wife is an exception, she's happy when I'm happy, If I enjoy something other than work she is all for it. She has encouraged me to get more involved and even wants me to get a trailer to haul my planes in. (I have 4 giants 33%- 30% -30%- 33%in the back of a short bed pickup now.)

Nice lady, been hanging around me for over 40 years.here is what that has done to her=[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-06-2004, 11:16 AM
doggscube

My wife is tolerant of it, but absolutely disinterested. She's less tolerant of it when there's something else that she's upset about, but that standard for anything.

At the not-so-local HS she asked me to buy her a dollhouse kit. I set her up a table in my shop but she hasn't started it yet.

-Jeff
Old 08-06-2004, 11:26 AM
gubbs3

My girlfriend of almost a year has been begging me to take her to the field because she hasn't seen me fly yet. I just hope she will always be this way...
Old 08-06-2004, 11:30 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is how my wife was before we were married, great woman, she even bought me a biplane once!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:02 PM
hookedonrc

My wife is pretty supportive. Oh there is the occassional comment about how much money I am spending. The way we have found around this is our budget. Each month I sit down and draw up the budget and in it we each have our own funds for what we call 'mad money.' We each get the same amount and my flying funds come right out of my funds. If she complains, I start to complain how she is spending hers. Stops it immediately. (Will say though, we have been together 27 years now, so we pretty much understand each others needs.) She even comes to the field once in a while, but mostly it is when we have fun fly's, holiday fun fly's etc.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:32 PM
cstevec

I raced stock cars when we met and most of my "fluid" money went towards that. She was a happy camper when I gave up racing and took up RC Planes. Sometimes I think she would rather I spent more time remodeling the house or things like that but she will come out to the field with me from time to time and she never complains about what I spend on the planes. As some of you have stated, she has even bought me a plane or two.

I think she is a keeper!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

We'd been married just a year or so and often we'd stop by hobby stores. I still had a bit of U control stuff sitting in a box someplace from when I was a kid, but I found the RC stuff pretty interesting and was doing some window shopping and a little uh-huhing and ah-hawing. I remember giving a Cub ARF at the hobby store a good looking over and thinking it was oh-so-complicated!

Well, our second Christmas together I discover under the tree a Sig Kadet Senior kit! Man, and I initially thought an arf looked complicated! We were living in an apartment at the time and I built that sucker on the dining room table using basically just a razor saw, sandpaper and a hobby knife. I even tried using a household iron for the Monokote, but ended up breaking down and buying a Coverite Black Baron iron, which is still with me today. That was all back in 1986, and my wife effectively got both myself and my brother big time into RC with that Senior!

When it comes to funflies, she'll come along to a few. She's even tried her hands on the sticks a few times, and doesn't do too bad but really isn't that interested. As long as I give one day of the weekend to family she's content to give me a day for flying and she'll usually take the kid to grandma's and stop by the field on the way back. Oh, and she's still finding neat presents to drop my way. I strongly suspect that a Great Planes Fokker DR1 is coming my way for my birthday next week!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:15 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I'm pretty lucky too. She's been very supportive for the most part, but does get a little edgy if I go to the field more than a couple times a week. I really need to share one weekend day with her, and generally go to the field at least one evening per week after work.

She doesn't mind my spending money on planes and stuff, but let's me know subtly if I start to get carried away.
Dennis-
Old 08-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

My wife knows a good thing when she sees it, and building and flying model airplanes is a good thing. I was doing this when we got married 52 years ago, and it has always been a big part of my life. For several years we conducted a model business and she did a lot of the bookwork. That business enabled us to retire at age 55, (now retired 19 years). Two of my boys earned their way through college by making 1/4 scale model airplane kits in our basement. Our family of six girls and three boys all benefitted in some way from the model airplane hobby. I am still active every day - my wife still goes out to watch me fly occassionally - and whatever it costs is O.K. with her.

Below is our family photo. Eight of the kids have four year college degrees, thanks in part to the model business. Yes, my wife does know a good thing when she sees it! Everybody should have a wife like mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79140.gif
Views:	14
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	161312  
Old 08-06-2004, 09:46 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good story, Jim.

Mixed bag with my wife. She knew that I loved flying and bought me a sailplane a few years ago. Still haven't built it. She loves plane things around the house, but I think she doesn't like that I go flying often as I'm retired too. We are probably over the issue and she seems to be okay with it. I think the key is to keep half of the Sundays for her. That seems to be the magic thing.

My birthday is next month, so I'm hoping to get a nice kit of something she likes. I would build it to just hang in the den for her to enjoy if she wanted me to.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:00 AM
jettstarblue

Did I mention that my wife and daughters bought me my first plane? It was an electric sailplane with a on/off switch, and a pulse rudder, (teach yourself to fly with on of those!) wish I could remember what it was, they got it a Toys-R-Us, and it was made by Nikko or one of those "toystore" radio control companies. Anyhow, I must have liked it, 'cause I'm still doin' it.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:00 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my EX-wife hated everything to do with my planes, especially the time and money part. sometimes she would come flying with me just so she could ***** and nag when i crashed.....good riddance

dave
Old 08-07-2004, 08:26 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My son and I both fly and my wife is usually with us at the field. She completly supports us in the hobby and we always get RC stuff for the Birthdays and Christmas. I just have to watch the spending to keep her happy. Thanks Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.