Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I am going crazy with pop ups--what do you do?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I am going crazy with pop ups--what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:10 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am going crazy with pop ups--what do you do?

This is not RCUs fault I am sure, but everytime I click on a link from my email notification, I get as many as 7 pop ups. Since I live in the sticks and only have dialup, it sometimes locks up my computer while all of these try to load. I have lots of people trying to sell me $40+ for software, but for an unemployed RC modeler, this is not an option. Any ideas?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:26 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am going crazy with pop ups--what do you do?

get the free google pop up blocker
Old 08-09-2004, 12:25 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Search for ad-aware and download it. It's free and will find a lot of trash and give you the opportunity to clean it up.

Also Spybotsd.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Chasing Fear
My Feedback: (1)

You can also use a browser other than IE.

Mozilla/Firefox can prevent pop-ups. I currently use Firefox 0.9.2 and have no problem with pop-ups.

If you're interested ...

[link=http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/]Mozilla Firefox[/link]

-Allan
Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

I second the Mozilla/Firebird browser option. i NEVER get popups anymore and it's awesome!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ad-Aware is good. Also make sure you run anti virus software. If you run Ad-aware and anti-virus software, you won't even have a problem with pop ups (unless you go to the weather.com site...annoying!!!!!).

Some sites have pop ups but not the ones I visit. RCU does not have pop ups. The ones you are seeing while on RCU are from other sites planted in your pc (from days or weeks ago).

Joe
Old 08-09-2004, 09:10 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Ad Aware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/

read thier site, then download Ad Aware 6 (free version)

'Spy sweeper' spybot removal application
www.webroot.com

has a 'free version', which works and has some 'filter's that work non stop as long as you have teh program running

and there are others.
Search for 'Adbots & Spybots" and read what they are about. Ditto with 'Pop-ups' and 'cookies' amazing stuff, and amazing that it goes on without your knowledge!

Never accpet anything from 'Gain' or 'Gator' Corporations, as they are about the worst for these littel 'bots'
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 AM
mvigod
Banned

I use google toolbar and ad aware.

Actually we will soon have the RCU toolbar built with a popup blocker!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/toolbar
Old 08-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Deadeye

As a computer tech, who deals with this problem on a daily basis, the best software I have found is 'Pest Patrol'. It is $40, but it works great, has updates, and runs in the background PREVENTING other spyware/adware/malware from being installed in the registry. It's all I use on client machines anymore.

Example:

Slow client machine. I mean click the mouse, and come back in half an hour to see the result of the click - no kidding. Spy-Bot and Ad-Aware found approx 1000 instances of spyware. Machine was still slow. Pest Patrol found 3645 more instances. That's the most I've ever seen on a computer. I won't use anything else.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Another vote here for Ad-Aware. Spybot used to be better, but right now Ad Aware cleans more.

Other things to try include getting a software firewall. I use Norton Internet Security and before that I used one I downloaded. Also avoid going to questionable sites - these can include 'free' software sites, music downloads, images and movies etc. Nothing is free. This also includes not using a file sharing program like Napster or Ares. Ever since I stopped looking for internet 'freebies' my Ad Aware has had way less work to do.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:50 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

As I thought, there seems to be some smart people around here. I down loaded Ad Aware and deleted some 230 suspicious files and then I changed to Firefox browser and the pop ups seem to be gone--and didn't cost a thing except the down load time. Thanks guys!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 PM
rockmon

Could someone tell me what happened, I ran ad-aware and then could not access the internet on IE and it has wiped out all of my netscape home page. I had to restore my computer so I could get online and ask this question but it didn't restore everything and as I said my netscape home page is wiped.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Deadeye

If you mean your custom settings for www.netscape.com, you just to need to log back in with your username and password. Ad-aware probably just deleted that 'cookie' which would log you in automatically. If you mean your 'bookmarks' are gone, then you are probably SOL. I've seen spyware delete favorites in exchange for 'their favorites'. Always keep backups.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:16 PM
rockmon

Thanks deadeye it was all back thismorning but now I can't use my start button and there is a yahoo tool bar partialy covering my old tool bar but nothing on it works. What the heck is doing this??? I have not tried anything with IE yet but will shortly just to see if it works. Now all of a sudden the yahoo bar just dissapeared and my old tool bar came back but I cannot access IE at all could there be a problem with internet explorer? This is maddening!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:17 PM
coveredup
My Feedback: (1)

using msconfig can be helpful also. lots of these pop ups are a result of programs running in the background.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Deltageek2

Good advice, guys. Ad-Aware is great- BUT- check those settings and READ the site for how to interpret what it found. It has been known to eat innocent files that you need to function. Sorry you had to find out like that!

These popups are more than just annoying! Ever use a credit card online? Many of these unsolicited spies are put on your com to gather such info- and phone home with it! Seems the internet is under attack by amateurs and professionals alike.

A virus can also cause the problem you had- it self-loads and goes to work eating your hard drive info until it chews thru a vital part- and the party is over. This is most likely not the case here (this time) since it occured immediately after the AA sweep.

INTERNET SWEEPER is free and small and fast. It erases the "hidden files" that Windows keeps of all you read, write and visit. You thought you had erased all traces of (a certain) file- but it is hidden - and only the spyware knows where it is- and finds it and reports back to its evil master. It contains a popup stopper, but warns it might interfere with some sites. Take the chance! You can always uncheck the popup stopper. Israel has banned Microsoft Windows on all its govt coms for this very reason!

You MUST use virus protection and a firewall or your net days will be numbered. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:03 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I would take my problem to andyt then on to dangerboy and present the final synopsis to Mr. Stokking and then to BABE but that is just me.. yours truly
Old 10-07-2004, 07:52 PM
jboy381-RCU

mozilla rocks!!!haven't had a pop up sence the DL...this stuff is awsone

john
Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 PM
last12know

unfortunately some spyware is next to impossible to get rid of and will plague your computer almost as bad as a virus. another utility not mentioned yet is hijackthis which will clean out all of the browser hijack programs running on your computer. [link=http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html]hijacker cleaner[/link]. I will caution you about the use of this program, it will disable stuff from IE you may not want to have disabled like your YAHOO tool bar and things so when you run it make sure you go thru the list of questionable programs very good before deleting them.

then check out of Microflop IE, and into Mozilla Firebird. It is "da bomb"
Old 10-08-2004, 09:09 AM
NCBrit

Service pack 2 for XP has a pretty decent pop up blocker. The google toolbar works well too. I am using both, and haven't seen a popup since I started using the two together.