Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Model Aviation Cover (Corsair)

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Model Aviation Cover (Corsair)

Old 07-25-2002, 01:53 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Aviation Cover (Corsair)

Maybe its just me, but I am completely in awe of the most recent cover of Model Aviation.

That has got to be one of the coolest Corsair color schemes I have ever seen!

Considering my past marine service, and green being my favorite plane color, that thing fits me to a tee.

Does anyone know where I can get some additional info on that color scheme? I have never seen it before, and I will definately be using it in the future.

Also, although scale outlines are important to me, I would prefer a corsair that has better than average flying characterics. Does anyone have an idea for a .60 sized Corsair that would be a good prospect that for scheme?
Old 07-25-2002, 11:55 AM
VoughtF4U

Default Green Striped Corsair

The corsair on the cover has the scheme of a training squadron after WWII (if memory serves me correctly). Max Chapman's F-4U-4 Corsair is painted like this. You can see a couple of pictures of it at www.corsairgathering.com follow the photos page link, and it is in the last link at the bottom under the "more photographs" section.

The only thing that bothers me about the photo on the cover of the magazine is it shows it has the old Brewster bomb rack on it. I didn't think that style bomb rack was ever used on a post war F-4U-4 model corsair... Oh well...

Evan Quiros has/had a Byron Corsair painted like this also, but I think he is getting ready to rebuidl it into a Super Corsair. his webpage is awesome and has several pictures of it at http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/home.html

Hopefully he won't mind me posting a link to his page. He will probably be able to add more info about the paint scheme than I can.

As for the 60 size corsairs, you basically have the top flite kit, the royal/marutaka kit from Hobby Barn, the Pica kit, or building one from Brian Taylor plans from Bob Hollman. There are also several ARFs available that are a little bigger or a little smaller.

The Pica kit is the easiest and quickest to build but isn't as scale looking, the top flite and royal are nice, but I prefer the Brian Taylor corsair for a .60 size.

Good luck and hope some of this helped. -Scott-
Old 07-25-2002, 01:23 PM
daven

Thanks for the informative reply. I think that I will be leaning towards the Pica kit. I have already built their 1/12th scale corsair kit, and the lazer cutting and design was pretty well done.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:25 PM
MalcolmL

Default MA cover pic

Would someone kindly post a pic please - I don't get to see my copy of MA until I get to the US - who knows when ? Thanks. MalcolmL
Old 07-25-2002, 03:43 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Pica Corsair

The bigger Corsair is very similar to the 1/12 corsairs. I just finished my three pack of the little ones. I really like the way Pica has engineered their whole laser lock system. Makes for a very quick build. Their larger Corsair suffers from the sharp angle in the wing bend like the little one, but it looks okay. You can add some filler and scrap material to the bend to smooth it into a curve to look more scale with very little effort. Besides, you can't tell the difference when it flies by 30 feet away at 80 mph. You can fit retracts with some work or leave it with the fixed gear. Good luck with your project and post some pics when you are finished.

Old 07-25-2002, 04:38 PM
daven

I was just about settled on the Pica kit, but it does not look like Spring Air has retracts for the Pica Corsair.

Pica recommends Century Jet retracts, but I've not heard anything good about them and would prefer to avoid them.

I'll have to consider this a bit more.

I have attached the actual picture from the cover.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	18952_310.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	11933  
Old 07-25-2002, 06:17 PM
STUKA BARRY

ALTHOUGH IT IS AN AWESOME PICTURE, PROPER ANGLE,AND COLOR SCHEME, AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE PROP? THIS PICTURE IS AT TOPGUN. THE BEST OF THE BEST. I DONT EVER RECALL A CORSAIR WITH A TWO BLADED PROP. MAKES IT LOOK LIKE A "TOY". MY SCALE 2 CENTS.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

The wood prop only becomes visible because of the fast shutter speed of the camera. You wouldn't be able to see it if you were actually there. Unless, of course, the plane deadsticked.

I was under the impression that it is standard practice to use a scale prop for static display and judging and another one for flying.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:59 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Prop

Stuka Barry,

Yeah, I think the prop really shows the difference between the real one and the models. That is part of the whole flair of a Corsair is that huge three or four bladed prop spinning around. Maybe someday someone will come up with a prop reduction gear assembly so that we could swing a large three or four blade with our current engines.

And for being a top gun model, I still can't get over the Brewster bomb rack on a post WWII F-4U-4 model corsair. Oh well, it does look great!
Old 07-25-2002, 07:28 PM
daven

I ignored my retract concerns and just purchased the Pica kit. I checked online at Quantum Models and they have the 1/8th scale kit at $99.99 with free shipping. I couldn't pass it up, I'll figure out something for the retracts after I get started, but it will definately have them.

Now I get to decide what engine.... I'm not a big 4 stroke guy (Please don't attack me too much). I'm thinking about the Jett .76 with In Cowl Tuned muffler.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:12 AM
MalcolmL

Default Corsair - props

Thanks Daven for posting the cover pic - much appreciated.

As to a reduction box to enable larger props to be used, if you were considering a 120 size 4-stroke engine, the RCV120 swings huge props for its capacity at lower speeds due to its inbuilt reduction gear. For example, a 20 X 12 at 5150 rpm. If that's too much, RCV also have the RCV90 and RCV60 sizes on the same principle. Their new RCV58 size does not have the reduction feature at the propshaft.

If you do decide to go for an RCV, please let us know your experiences with this engine. MalcolmL
Old 12-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CORSAIR PROP

While reading these posts on Corsair props I was reminded of a photo I saw in the recent Sporty's Wright Bros. Collection catalog. This was a close-up air-to-air shot of the business end of an F4U taken by photographer Paul Bowen for his "Air-To-Air
2003 Warbirds" calendar. The prop tips, painted white stood out vividly against the blue water below, outlining very well the prop ard. I knew the Corsair swung a 13 foot prop, but when I saw the photo it just blew me away...that is one big prop! I read of a Corsair pilot in WWII running out of ammo when attacking some Japanese planes. He flew up under one of the Japanese planes and literally sawed his tail feathers off with that big buzz saw! Wow! I am going to attempt to attach a scanned copy of the catalog shot.

Name:	38951_17853.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	11934  
Old 12-03-2002, 09:14 PM
mulligan

That photo makes it easy to understand why they had to use gull wings!
Old 12-04-2002, 04:38 AM
MalcolmL

Default Corsair

.......... and long legs ........ MalcolmL
Old 12-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CORSAIR FOR DAVEN

Daven, I found another shot of that Corsair you like. This is not a shot of the model on AMA mag cover, but of the full size F4U #11. This one I found in the current issue of Flight Journal, and was taken during The "Gathering of Corsairs" Sept. 02 in Inianapolis. I tried to access the wwww.corsairgathering.com mentioned by Vought F4U's post but couldn't get it. This shot may be on there also. Just thought you might like to take a look at it. Semper Fi Grampaw

Name:	39138_17853.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	11935  
Old 12-04-2002, 06:44 PM
daven

Thanks for the Picture Grampaw.

A clubmember made a video of the Corsair Gathering, and gave me a copy. I still haven't found time to watch it, but I will be soon.

Here is a link to my progress on the Corsair project.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...70&forumid=142

It looks like its been a month since I've done anything on it. I'm trying to finish up another project first, why couldn't I just do one thing at a time....

Semper Fii
Old 12-05-2002, 04:52 AM
MalcolmL

Default Corsair

Hi Daven - that's one huge trash can of a muffler. I looked at the Jett site but didn't see that one. Is it on of theirs ?

You are to be commended for your portrayal of the Corsir build. Many manufacturers could learn a lot from you about how to present their "how-to's". Well done. I only wish that I liked the Corsair enough to try one.

Best MalcolmL
Old 12-05-2002, 05:31 AM
daven

Malcom,

Yes it is a Jett muffler. They call it an "In-Cowl" muffler, unfortunately, it won't fit "In-Cowl". Its close, but I will have to do some pretty good cutting on the bottom. I believe it is on the Jett Site, but their site can be tricky to navigate.

As to the review, I'm just your average everyday kit builder. Not a beginner, but far from being an expert. I have problems, and make mistakes like everyone else. I hate the kit reviews, that say everything went great. Sometimes I misread things, glue things when I'm not suppose to, sand too much, etc...
Old 12-11-2002, 08:13 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Default F4U Prop

I just noticed the talk about the F4U prop. You should try moving one of these around. When we were setting a up a new prop for a local guys F4 it took two people on each blade. It looks big in the picture even bigger when you are putting one together on the floor of a hanger.

Chris Puckett
Puckett Model Aviation