Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby shops on San Antonio Texas

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby shops on San Antonio Texas

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hobby shops on San Antonio Texas

Hey folks,
I'm trying to track down an older hobby shop I visited a couple of times in San Antonio. I cannot remember the name of the place, but I believe it was on Bandera a mile or two south of loop 410. Does anyone know if the place is still in business or remember the name? I would like to browse through their wares but it's a 2.5 hour drive and I would rather not waste the trip if they have gone belly up. If they did close, does anyone know who bought their inventory? They had a pretty large collection of older kits as I remember it.

Thank you,
John
Old 08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Jim Thomerson

Default RE: Hobby shops on San Antonio Texas

Give Jim Rice at Second Chance Hobbies a call 210-945-8221. I expect he can answer your questions.

Jim
Old 08-26-2004, 08:46 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Jim,
Thank you for the pointer. I called Second Chance Hobbies and the gentleman I spoke to said he had no idea what I was talking about and that he may or may not have ever bought some other hobby shop's inventory? Eh? He doesn't know if he did or not with anyone? Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to find the place the next time I'm down in S.A.. If not, there's always Rebel Hobbies. They had a nice store, good selection and competitive prices the last time I visited them.

John
Old 08-27-2004, 02:53 PM
RON-10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobby Center Inc. 3441 Fredericksburg Rd. San Antonio, Tx 72801 Ph. 210-735-4218 Rebel Hobbies 6441 Blanco Rd Castle Creek Village Shopping Center Ph. 210-340-0150. Maybe one of these are what you are looking for.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:16 PM
rayb
My Feedback: (13)

You might be referring to the old Clayton's Hobby Shop. It was located off Bandera Road. They have left that location and I'm not sure if they are still doing business in RC planes.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:45 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I have been to several shops in the S/A area when I am up there, but no more. I go straight to Second Chance and they nearly always have what I need and good "browsing" atmosphere.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:42 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

ORIGINAL: rayb

You might be referring to the old Clayton's Hobby Shop. It was located off Bandera Road. They have left that location and I'm not sure if they are still doing business in RC planes.
That sounds like the one. This was a pretty large shop in a stand alone building right? If so, do you know where they moved to?

I will check out Second Chance Hobbies the next time I'm down that way, but I really wanted to dig through the huge pile of older kits the shop I'm thinking of had. Granted, it's been a few years since I was in there, but even at that time they had a very good selection of out of production kits that most builders would drool over today.

BTW, I'm specifically looking for a NIB Goldberg Vector ARC trainer. I built one as a change of pace when the kit was in production and was impressed at how well it flew. Thunder Tiger sold the exact same model under a different name, but I cannot remember what it was called.

John
Old 08-28-2004, 09:25 AM
rayb
My Feedback: (13)

John,
Clayton's was in a strip center and not very large. If it was in its own building I think you're talking about Hobby Center, Inc on Fredricksburg Rd. Same general area as Bandera Rd. They are still in business and had a lot of old kits last time I was in there. I don't shop there as it's a long way from my home.
Good luck and happy flying.
Ray
Old 08-28-2004, 09:32 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Ray,
OK, now you're jogging my memory. Yes, Clayton's was the small shop right next to 410. I sold a 1.20 size Ultimate in that shop about 12 years ago. I only lived in S.A. for 1 year and it's been 11 since I moved away so the whole city is a bit foggy. I will check out Hobby Center the next time I'm down there.

Thank you!
John