Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Poll: Age vs. Building Preference

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Under 30 - scratch build, plans, or kit
8.96%
Under 30 - ARF
4.48%
30-39 - scratch build, plans, or kit
18.66%
30 -39 - ARF
4.48%
40-49 -scratch build, plans or kit
20.15%
40-49 - ARF
5.22%
50-59 - scratch build, plans, or kit
16.42%
50-59 - ARF
5.22%
60+ - scratch build, plans or kit
12.69%
60+ - ARF
3.73%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Age vs. Building Preference

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:09 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Age vs. Building Preference

What age range are you in and what type of aircraft do you prefer to build?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:15 AM
chrisc

Default RE: Poll: Age vs. Building Preference

I've only been flying a year. I have built two kits and about 5 ARF's. I enjoy building kits but I get the ARF's so I can fly while I am building. I take my time on the building since I am inexperienced at it.

Chris
Old 08-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

33, ARF or RTF preferred. I can build and actually like it, but I don't have the time with a young family and other activities.[8D]
Old 08-12-2004, 10:33 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50/50 for me. I went through a stage, when I was really heavy into helicopters, where I didn't build any kits for several years. Now I always have a kit in some stage of completion. I have four flyable airplanes; two ARFs, two kit-builts. A Sig Kougar is about framed up, and a new ARF should be delivered today or tomorrow. variety is the name of the game for me.

There was no choice for that (50/50), so I didn't vote.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

36, kits and scratching.

The hobbie is building.
Flyign is showing off what you've built!

(Curious to see how teh numbers come out, curious as to builders vs. ARFers, is the market 'right' in assuming we want ARFs...)
Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 AM
J_R

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

50/50 for me. I went through a stage, when I was really heavy into helicopters, where I didn't build any kits for several years. Now I always have a kit in some stage of completion. I have four flyable airplanes; two ARFs, two kit-builts. A Sig Kougar is about framed up, and a new ARF should be delivered today or tomorrow. variety is the name of the game for me.

There was no choice for that (50/50), so I didn't vote.
There are only 10 choices for answers. That is the reason I used the word "preference". You can still vote your preference, if you have one. I changed the question to reflect this.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:53 AM
hookedonrc

I put down 50-59 with preference for ARF's, but that doesn't mean that I don't build. I like the flying part of this hobby and would not be doing much if it weren't for ARF's. I have just finished a Somethin Extra kit and will be building a SIG Hog Bipe as my second kit. For ARF's I have an Ultra Stick Lite, 4*60, Ultra Stick 60, U-Can-Do 40, and a Tower Hobbies Voyager for just kicking around. Will probably build another kit after the bipe, but that is next year for certain.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:54 AM
mulligan

What a bunch of liars on this poll!!

You know there are more ARF flyers out there!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:47 AM
BillyGoat

Since this poll ask peoples building "preference" a new poll asking what people are "actually" building should be conducted when this one dies.

It would be interesting to see the divergence between preference and actual actions.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Indeed it would, BillyGoat. I would much prefer to build all my stuff. But as has already been pointed out, you build a kit for the total experience; you buy an ARF for something to fly while you're building. Of the 30+ model airplanes I've owned, half have been ARFs. And except for a couple, they all have been okay to excellent.

But ARFs have gotten so good, the distinction is beginning to blur a bit. If all the reports I'm reading are accurate, this ARF I've got coming is probably of higher fit/finish/quality than I can do. And that is why I bought it; to see for myself. With four planks and three helis ready to go, I certainly don't need another model.

But then, whoever said it was about need???
Old 08-12-2004, 12:18 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: mulligan

Hi George

The clubhouse is not the place to do a scientific poll. Having run some previous polls here, it is apparent that the clubhouse is populated with members with a much higher than average interest in modeling. Most of the people here are long past the point of wanting to know how to start an engine, or apply MonoKote for the first time.

Recently, in the clubhouse, one of the owners of GMP, IIRC, stated that the demand for his products was 20:1 in favor of ARFs over kits. That is probably a much better indication of those outside of the clubhouse. The poll here is simply to find out about the members of the clubhouse.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 PM
mulligan

Yeah, I know- just kidding around. We've gotta give some more kindling to this Kit-ARF war don't ya know
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I'm 80 and have been building since 1934. I slipped and assembled 1 ARF and 1 ARC. Both flew well but I can still build better than any ARF I've seen. If somebody refers to me as an intermediate pilot it is a compliment. I'm at the field often and have been in RC for some years. I'd never throw away a good buddy box. Designing and building are the hobby to me but I have no quarrel with ARF's or ARC's. WWI scale anyone?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: mulligan

No one is lying. It's just that the ARF guys are out at the field flying and do not have access to a computer. All of the builders are on their computers in their shop while they wait on some Elmer's glue to dry.

Eric
Old 08-12-2004, 05:05 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

If so many people love building, then why are so many ARFs sold? Don't worry, I already know the answer.
I am about 50/50. I like ARFs and how quick they go together, but I love building.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:11 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 31, and I build Jets from Mold to $10,000.00 fire breathing monsters or kits (only fiberglass though, put two sticks of balsa in my hand and you might as well ask me to build a fire, as I sure as heck couldn't glue them together straight )

Sean

www.my87.com
Old 08-12-2004, 05:17 PM
HK_Shooter

35 - Kits and Scratch. Started 15 years ago, had to take a 12-13 yr break to raise young ones, been back into the hobby about 2 months and already built 1 kit and 1 from scratch (Plans). I've built probably 10 kits total. Never had an ARF and after reading about firewalls coming off with the engines running I probably never will. I have to admit that I do love building as much as flying. And as far as spending more time building and not flying, well I've got a large backyard and plan on building a couple of little e-profiles to fly. I think I see a Fat Free Taco in my future.

Have fun and stay safe everyone.

Danny
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just turned 60 this year. While I prefer to build from scratch or kits, I am kind of limited on building time working from 45 to 70 hours a week, occassional work related travel, and house maintenance work. Arfs let me have a new plane somewhat quicker than building from kits, although some of them seem to take as long to set up as some of the simpler kits, and don't seem to last very long. Most kit or scratch built planes I've put together seem to fly better and last longer. My first R/C arf took about 35 hours, had different airfoils on the wing panels, contact paper covering that loosened up with fuel exposure, and would tear out one of the landing gear mounts about every 9th landing. I also had to thicken the soft imported ply firewall with a piece of 1/8" 5 ply birch before the blind nuts pulled through the original.
Over the fall I rebuilt the plane, added ply braces to the wings for lg mount solidity, recovered, glued the joints that were missed in the original assembly, and had a better plane for it until one of the original control horns on the rudder failed in flite.
They have improved immensly over the years, but I still trust my own building methods over the assembly line methods.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I am going on 17 here in a couple months. Been flying 4 years, almost 5 now. I have owned about 6 airplanes (not including foamies) and 3 were ARFS and 3 were kits.

I actually like to build a lot, but my resources and shop is a 4 x 3' fold up table and a single sided razor blade with glue. THATS IT. I don't have any other tools. However for some reason, I really like the looks of a plane right before they get covered with all the balsa and ply framed intricitly together into something you hand built. Time now is getting a lot harder to come by being a senior and I have been getting a couple ARFS.

I fly 3D and love flying a lot, and I can always build and scratch out a plane or kit on Autocad when I get much older. I figure why I am young and my body is in good shape I can fly and enjoy that.[8D]
Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 PM
carrellh

Age 44. Third year in RC. I've built 1 kit and am working on a second. I've had 2 ARFs, assembled by someone else. I have a couple of ARFs in mind for the future, and will probably also do more kits. I'm not sure I have a preference yet.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 PM
runover1

I forgot to say that I am 31 yrs. old.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I only Fly/build ARF'S, the biggest factor is that I don't have much time for precise work on a kit, I like to fly better than I would build, not to mention me being a 23 yearold bachelor [sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-13-2004, 03:01 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

But ARFs have gotten so good, the distinction is beginning to blur a bit. If all the reports I'm reading are accurate, this ARF I've got coming is probably of higher fit/finish/quality than I can do. And that is why I bought it; to see for myself. With four planks and three helis ready to go, I certainly don't need another model.

So spit it out, what are you getting??

I do mainly ARFs. My last 7 airplanes(Aerobird, F-27 Stryker, Tiger Trainer, Modeltech Magic, UCD .46, Funtana 90, Wild Hare Edge) have been ARF or RTF. I currently have one kit, a Goldberg Electra, that is 90% finished.

I don't believe that I can build and cover a kit that will turn out as well as the current crop of ARFs. Besides, I'm lazy
Old 08-13-2004, 04:49 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shortman

Time now is getting a lot harder to come by being a senior...
you're in for a BIG surprise if you don't have enough time now you won't have any time at all in a few years.

i'm 31 and suffer from a nasty case of doityourselfitis[] no wife, no kids and still no time...but i still design and build all my planes myself. i did buy an arf a 6 years ago and still kick myself when i think about it...

dave
Old 08-13-2004, 06:08 AM
runover1

The fact that ARFs are usually cheaper than if you buy the kit and the materials seperate doesn't help. And the covering jobs are so good, especially when you're still new to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.