Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How do you guys feel about people that back out of 'made' deals

The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How do you guys feel about people that back out of 'made' deals

Old 07-26-2002, 02:51 AM
Flyer91
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How do you guys feel about people that back out of 'made' deals

Maybe I'm being unreasonable to expect a person that says he will buy the item you are selling, and that he will send a money order ASAP, lets you post that your items is sold, then two days after he says the USPS money order will be in the mail ASAP, backs out of the deal.
Then when you post that the item is still for sale because he "flaked out" he posts to your ad that "he never flakes out on anybody" and you should keep you big A*sed mouth shut.
After you post the e-mail (that demonstrates to other sellers that may be approached by this same "supposed" buyer), he calls you a spoiled child and laughs about dumping on you.
Should this type of action and lack of integrity be allowed to go unchallenged?
Do other sellers find any value in these people being named as long as the pertaining e-mails ( that demonstrate the facts) are disclosed?
Or is it just something that should remain private and these people be left to do the same again to other sellers?
I find the line crossed once a deal is made, a price is agreed upon and the post is marked as sold.
Irrespective of the fact that it is a written contract, it is (IMO) only a low life flake that backs out of a deal for other than a hardship reason.
In my case the fellow said he found a Fury at a better price than my $375 Sceadu.
IMO: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and backs out like a low life, flake, scum, lookie loo.... it's a low life, flake, scum, lookie loo relative of Donald!!
But what the heck .... I could be wrong.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:10 AM
thriller
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that it should be known to others how your dealings went with members so that they can make a decision as to deal with the same person or not. This is why we have the feedback system. Ebay has had a feedback system forever and it works. I hope it will be the same here.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:19 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly right. Let it be known. Can you update the trader karma with a negative?? Isn't that the idea?? A moderator, I believe has to agree, but they should.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:37 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think people that have straight out said that they will buy something, or said that the check is on its way or will be, and never sends it or ignores you, is Terrible. Just like Ebay, dont bid if your not going to buy it!!!
Pretty simple, I have bought things that from the time I told them I would take it to the time I got replies from them that I really wasnt into it anymore, but I still bought it because I said I would. That should mean something these days.
This is only My Opinion!!
Old 07-26-2002, 04:09 AM
RALBITRE
My Feedback: (63)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WHAT TO DO?
I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME MANY TIMES, BUT AS BOTH A BUYER AND A SELLER, I AS A BUYER STRIKE A DEAL WITH THE SELLER, COME TO TERMS WITH THEM ,GET THIER MAILING ADDRESS, GO DOWN GET THE MONEY ORDER ,RECOMFIRM THAT IT WILL BE SENT OUT IN THE MORNING, THEN THEY E-MAIL ME BACK SAYING SORRY , I HAVE FOUND A BUYER LOCALLY , SO THEY DONT NEED TO SHIP! I GUESS THATS THIER PERROGOTIVE, BUT ITS WRONG! THAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME TWICE , FRUSTRATING ESPECIALLY AFTER FILLING OUT M.O. WITH THIER NAME........ANOTHER GRIPE IS IF YOU WANT TO POST AND SELL,, I THINK YOU SHOULD BE SOMEWHAT READY TO SEND WHAT YOUR SELLING, AS A BUYER I SEND PAYMENT ASAP ,EXPRESS OR OVERNIGHT, CAUSE I KNOW THE SELLER IS LOOKING FOWARD TO THE MONEY, WHO ISNT, SO ILL SPEND $14 EXTRA DOLLARS ON POSTAGE, JUST TO EXPIDITE THE DEAL, BUT WHEN THEY RECIEVE THE MONEY THEN TAKE ANOTHER 2-3 WEEKS TO SHIP OFF SOME THING ,THAT I THINK SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE TO BEING READY TO SHIP BEFORE YOU POST YOUR ADD, JUST A LITTLE COMMON COURTESY WOULD GO ALONG WAY, AND AS A SELLER TURNING AWAY OTHER POTENTIAL BUYERS BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID THE MONEYS ON ITS WAY , AND IT NEVER WAS , I STILL HAVE E-MAILS IN MY MAIL BOX THAT SAYS MONEYS ON ITS WAY , FROM MONTHS AGO, I DONT CARE WHAT YOUR REASON FOR FLAKING OUT IS, JUST SEND AN E-MAIL SAYING YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND , SO SOME ONE ELSE CAN BUY IT , THESE SITES ARE GREAT PLACES, BY DOING THE RIGHT THING "WE" CAN MAKE THEM BETTER.......BUT FOR THE MOST PART MOST OF THE GUYS HERE ARE TRUST WORTHY.....OK E-NUFF VENTING , NEED TO GO BACK TO FIND THAT GREAT DEAL....RUDY
Old 07-26-2002, 09:13 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess it all depends. I for one try to make the deal tentative if there is a chance that I may not go through with it. If money or product is on the way, I always complete it but if the deal is not physically initiated, it should be open for both parties. I have had someone say they want a propeller I had for sale, and I wanted 2 weeks for the money. Another buyer says they will buy it and sends the money that day. Should I wait until the first guy gets around to it or do I send the propeller to the second guy and my apologies to the first?

Technically, I backed out of the deal!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have said this before, it seems appropriate to say it again.

I have never been ripped off on the Internet
I heve never been ripped off by door to door sales people
I have never been ripped off by Telemarketers

I have never purchased from any of the above, nor will I

Ed S
Old 07-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have never, then you have missed out on some great deals, and making a new freindship through the internet.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Fly4Funn
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey I got one better than that!!! What about a guy that buys the plane, I drive 4 hours to meet (note no shipping here), calls about 10 mins after leaving the meeting place to say it was a little worse than he expected (after I made sure it was understood the plane needed work and was priced accordingly) but he was still happy with the deal. Then a couple days later sends an email saying to tear up the check he is returning the plane at my expense.......talk about a jerk!!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 12:52 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like a good reason to deal with ca$h in person, or Money Orders otherwise

Yeah, I hate when people back out of a deal, unless it's unavoidable.
(In real life, sometimes things happen beyond our control, I know that)

The jerks some of you describe should be publicly exposed in every case, IMHO.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:59 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree-- I have done a lot of dealing on RCO and RCU-- I have never been involved in a bad deal, but I have had people say they will buy-- then take their ever-loving time about it. Three times I sold engines when people told me the check was in the mail--then it took 2 weeks to get it. Please just tell me you are waiting for payday instead of telling me an un-truth. Many times I have posted an item much too cheap--received a big response, and even had people offer more money when they found out they were too slow. I always go with "first one with the money in the mail gets it". As far as backing out completely, I have not had that happen to me-- but it would make me angry!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:08 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to back out of a deal, but I think once you commit, then you are............ committed.

I know there is always going to be that one time when you really need to back out, but for 99% of the time, if you say you are going to buy or sell something, do it!

Yes, I think people who back out of a deal should be exposed somehow. Then at least future sellers or buyers can make their own decisions on dealing with these people. I figured that's what the Karma function was for.

Mike
Old 07-26-2002, 04:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The tar is melted....

I'm still plucking the feathers. :devious:
Old 07-26-2002, 04:45 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Some reasons are legit

On occasion there are legit reasons a buyer may have to back out of a deal. Such as a family crisis or job layoff, etc. If the buyer just changed his mind then that is a different story. If he told me the reason I would leave karma/feedback accordingly good or bad. But sometimes without knowing all the facts (or truth) I would probably not leave negative karma/feedback and just forget about it.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:38 PM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That brings up a point on the Karma feedback, sometimes its hard to know who is telling the truth or you cant get a straight answer to figure anything out, its hard sometimes.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:36 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welp.. For me... I think if a person backs out of a deal then others should know about it.. If it happend enough times then perhaps that person is more of a player than a hobbist..
I know if I make a deal with someone I go next day and get a money order and send an email to person giving them M/O info, bank drawn on, etc... I figure after talking with the person, it is up to me to ask right questions and decide if perosn has satisfied my questions.. So if I say I am buying, I bought. If I make a mistake, then it is MY mistake.. Then after getting M/O I ask how they wish to get if I am picking up item, other wise, I mail it out and send with confirmation notice and give USPO confirmation number so they KNOW it has been mailed..

I see lots of things I would WANT.. But I KNOW my fund situtation and know if I can afford or not.. So I see no reason to speculate..

Just my .07 worth..

Robby
Old 07-27-2002, 02:47 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default THIS IS MY TWO CENTS WORTH

I AGREE WITH YOU GUYS ON PEOPLE BACKING OUT.BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT RADIO CONTROLS NOT A POOR MANS HOBBY,AND WE ARE ALL LOOKING FOR A GOOD DEAL TO CUT COSTS.I HAVE HAD PEOPLE BACK OUT ON A SALE TWICE IN THE PAST MONTH ON A PLANE I WAS SELLING. I GUESS I DIDN'T CHOOSE TO LEAVE A NEG FEED BACK BECAUSE THE GUY DID GIVE AN EXCUSE WHY HE COULDN'T SEND THE PAYMENT.I JUST REPOSTED THE PANE AGAIN. I USUALLY TRY TO INFORM THE SELLER WHEN THE PAYMENT WILL BE SENT SO IF THE SELLER DOESN'T LIKE THE ARANGMENTS HE CAN ALWAYS REFUSE TO SELL IT AND THEN RELIST IT. I HAVE DONE WITH WITH BOTH EBAY & RCU AND HAVEN'T BEEN REFUSED AS OF YET ON A SALE OR GIVEN NEG. FEEDBACK. I GUESS IT'S A GIVE AND TAKE SITUATION,AND I FIND HERE ON RCU THERE MORE GIVERS THEN TAKERS.SO THATS MY TWO CENTS WORTH. ANYBODY WANNA BUY A CARL GOLDBERG EXTRA 300???
NEDYOB
Old 07-27-2002, 03:59 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Perfect timing. Earlier this month I boxed-up a Byron Pitts for a
fellow that said he was mailing the M.O. After checking my PO Box
for three weeks, do you think I should give him another couple of
weeks or so? My Outlook Express went **** up shortly after our
deal was made and I lost all my e-mail files, so I can't give him a
Karma report.

Randy
Old 07-27-2002, 04:44 PM
SDCrashmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nedyob,
Chill with the CAPS lock. Look at your post and tell me it is not difficult to read.

RE, the thread subject.
If someone agrees to buy it, it's theirs.
If someone says done deal...SOLD!
No if's and's or but's. DONE!
The internet's lack of physical contact forgoes signatures and contracts.
Therefore, everyone must be standup enough to be true to your word.
If a buyer or seller commits and backs out, they should be flamed indignantly to the point of quitting the hobby due to embarrassment. We don't need scammers and greaseballs creating ill will amongst honest RC enthusiasts.

"Yeah, I told him I would sell him the prop for $4, but someone came along and offered me $4.25. What was I to do?"

Give me a break, you scumbag. Go log back onto ebay.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:38 PM
rcflier_gi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by SDCrashmaster

RE, the thread subject.
If someone agrees to buy it, it's theirs.
If someone says done deal...SOLD!
No if's and's or but's. DONE!
The internet's lack of physical contact forgoes signatures and contracts.
Therefore, everyone must be standup enough to be true to your word.
If a buyer or seller commits and backs out, they should be flamed indignantly to the point of quitting the hobby due to embarrassment. We don't need scammers and greaseballs creating ill will amongst honest RC enthusiasts.

Some poor guys wife dies or kid gets kidnapped (which seems to be happening a lot lately) I'm going to flame him to the end of time. Sounds like a plan.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:52 PM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by rcflier_gi

Some poor guys wife dies or kid gets kidnapped (which seems to be happening a lot lately) I'm going to flame him to the end of time. Sounds like a plan.
Now, Im sure ANY person would understand that, were getting a little anal now.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Buz^

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HUMMM

I say we tie em up behind a car and drag em

I wish all deals could be timely fair and just, but that only happens in that other world (the perfect one ) that none of us live in.So vent if you must, but sometimes EXCREMENT OCCURS
Old 07-27-2002, 07:36 PM
jmulder
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: HUMMM

Originally posted by Buz^
EXCREMENT OCCURS

HAHAHAHAAAAAAA..........That was a good one!!!!.....Pretty gooood, pretty good........
Old 07-28-2002, 05:22 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Amen crashmaster. If your word isn't any good...then neither are you. Especially if you don't honor your word for money.

Bob

BTW All caps means you are shouting...and we can hear you just fine.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:31 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default dead beats

OK SO IM HARD A HEARING WHEN IM ON LINE. Sorry...Is this better.
nedyob

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service