Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with your crashes where a plane you really like gets totalled???!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How do you deal with your crashes where a plane you really like gets totalled???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 02:19 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you deal with your crashes where a plane you really like gets totalled???!!!

Well last night I lost a plane on it's first flight. I did get a chance to wring it out and it was awesome. I looked forward to many more flights with it and what I believe was a failure of servo tape in a wing (smaller electric Cap 232 plane) the plane went out of control and was totalled. Sometimes you can fix planes and it's not so bad but when they are totalled it's a little depressing especially when the plane is a great performer or one you really love.

Just curious how you guys deal with the post crash blues? Go fly another plane? Build another? Rebuild a brand new one? Drink?
Old 07-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Dugster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you deal with your crashes where a plane you really like gets totalled???!!!

I cry. I sniffle. I blow into a hanky, then get back in the saddle.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:30 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

If they look like a total loss... remove salvageable parts, soak the mess with
the remainder of the fuel tank, and have a ritual fire on the spot.

Doh... Electric. With an electric, I dunno.

Get another one, if you liked it so much?
I've been two and three time owners of several of my favorites
Old 07-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I look at it as an opportunity to build something new to fill the empty space in the hangar. It is tough to lose one on its first flight. I have lost several on maiden flights. And, did you learn a hard lesson? Never use servo tape? At least no on a critical flight surface.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Mike James

Default Crash Blues

Yes... Drink!

Seriously, A new project is often the cure for me, whether it's the same type or not.

If it was a plane that I loved, but hadn't gotten to fly much, I'd build another one ASAP. The "why" part of the crash makes a difference too. As long as I feel that whatever happened could be avoided on the next one, I might build another one like it, perhaps making a modification. (like not using servo tape in it)

If it was a plane that I loved, but had already flown for a long time, I'd say goodbye and look for a new project. (I recently piled up my kit-bashed Ultra Sport, which was a case like that. I just laughed it off and said "Next!" )

When I do "serious" projects, I make molds. That way, it's not so hearbreaking (just really inconvenient!) when one goes in. We all crash one eventually, so I do feel your pain.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:46 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Default Re: Crash Blues

Originally posted by Mike James
Yes... Drink!

If it was a plane that I loved, but had already flown for a long time, I'd say goodbye and look for a new project. (I recently piled up my kit-bashed Ultra Sport, which was a case like that. I just laughed it off and said "Next!" )
Ugh... that was a beautiful UltraSport. I would've been upset a bit

Not quite as upset as I am to come back to RC and find that it's not a kit anymore!
I loved my old UltraSport.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:43 PM
mvigod
Banned

I might get another one...this thing flew really nice and I'll actually have a full review on it for the magazine including my error of servo tape and pics of the resulting carnage (how often do you see that in the print magazines!). Had the flying performance been marginal it would have been less painful but this was a perfect flight and awesome aerobat without even needing a single click of trim on the first flight.

Normally I never use servo tape but I'm still relatively new to electrics and as this was a small HS55 hitec servo I thought it might be ok. Next time it will be epoxy with some balsa around the sides for extra security...I'm going overkill from now on even more than I usually do. I think this is the 1st time I've ever used servo tape in 26 years.

I really think I might have to buy another one...this was one really awesome plane and if you like aerobats go to hobby lobby and buy one of these ( http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cap232.htm ). I'm thinking I will buy another as this was really an impressive aircraft and even though electric had LOTS of power with the brushless motor. You will not fly this and think "gee I wish it had more power". My aircraft preference is typically Cap's, Extras and aerobats and I have a few of these in larger glow models so I'm tough to satisfy and this was a real blast to fly and that is why it's really got me so down. I kind of wish it didn't fly so good and I wouldn't be as bummed.

I'll write up the review next week sometime and post it in the magazine. I had never expected it to be buried so soon otherwise I would have been able to add video to the review as the performance and even sound of this was too cool and something to behold for this 35 ounce electric.

Here is a picture...

Old 07-26-2002, 03:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a pic of my Twin engine 0-2 that was distroyed on her maiden flight after two years of building. I made my wife take me out for dinner that night, and just generally moped around for a week or two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19041_7722.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	12008  
Old 07-26-2002, 03:51 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Holly Molly, I really thought that would be a neat plane to own until I started adding up the price. 500 bucks to get this 31 inch airplane into the air. I think Ill stick to glow.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:56 PM
mvigod
Banned

MinnFlyer - Ouch...2 years I can only imagine how bummed you were...I'm just looking out today at a cool calm day and I would have flown the heck out of this thing again this afternoon and don't feel like flying so I'm working on the site instead.

I gave the fuselage and wing to my son (I taped up the cracks) and he loves it (he's 3). He's pretending to land it everywhere in the house and so excited so at least it's making somebody happy right now.

Cool thing with the reviews on the internet is that I can do a full review on this now including my mistake and the resulting carnage and when I build another whether in a few weeks or even months I can update it with the changes and hopefully full flight review and video!

I have to close my shades now so I don't have to stare at this perfect weather taunting me I'll climb out of here later to go to a balloon festival here in New Jersey which has like 100 hot air balloons and is always fun. At least the weather will be good for that today.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:06 PM
mvigod
Banned

smallfly - it is not cheap like a foamie Zagi but will probably run a little over $400 for the setup unless you have a charger for the nicads already. I will say the quality of the fiberglass fuse was excellent and the wing was flawless (I mean strong, light and straight and covering had zero wrinkles as well). The plane itself makes up about half the price and the motor setup/servos the other half.

One small factor is that depending how much you fly it your fuel cost offsets some of the cost of flying this plane if the cost is a consideration. Also this is suitable for small parking lots or fields as it can be flown in closer and has no noise so if those are factors too it's really nice. I flew mine in a church parking lot around the corner from me so within 1/2 mile I could do full blown aerobatics and have no setup or cleanup which is attractive for me and others who want performance and convenience.

I'm going to start to put together my other projects to take my mind off of this one and I'll order another one as all my radio and power equipment were intact.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:44 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

My fellow club members know just to "leave me alone"--I have a really bad attitude, but it is getting a lot better. Usually, back in the "building" days it was as if somebody died. I crashed a Icon NWest Monocoupe at a flyin and that was hard to get over. However-- now that the ARFs are here-- I just grin, get out the MasterCard, grab a catalogue and start looking.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:56 PM
mvigod
Banned

AJF-2 - I know what you mean...problem is I even feel that bad when the ARF's go in! Especially as I should have used epoxy on that servo instead of the servo tape...that just bugs me as it was a bad error in judgement on my part and I'm not easy on myself when it comes to mistakes.

I've decided I will whip out the mastercard and buy another to replace this one...my building schedule should open up in another month so I'll take another stab at this as it's worth it.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: How do you deal with your crashes where a plane you really like gets totalled???!!!

Originally posted by RCadmin
Well last night I lost a plane on it's first flight. I did get a chance to wring it out and it was awesome. I looked forward to many more flights with it and what I believe was a failure of servo tape in a wing (smaller electric Cap 232 plane) the plane went out of control and was totalled. Sometimes you can fix planes and it's not so bad but when they are totalled it's a little depressing especially when the plane is a great performer or one you really love.

Just curious how you guys deal with the post crash blues? Go fly another plane? Build another? Rebuild a brand new one? Drink?
I don't know if this helps, but a few years I saw a beautifully built Hiperbipe doing a wonderfull routine, and part of his routine was to go into a spine with the smoker on. Well he did that and it was awesome, but he didn't get out of the spin and went straight in with wood pieces everywere. But the pilot in this case was also in the airplane when it hit and he died, as this was a full size airshow.
From then on if I do crash (yes I do) I just keep remembering that scene with his wife watching and screaming, and somehow my crashes aren't as bad.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:56 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Wow--that has got to be bad. I can't imagine many things worse. I was at an airshow in Myrtle Beach SC a few years ago and saw a mid-air between two pylon racers- one guy's prop got into another's aliron. Both landed without a "big" problem, but it canceled the rest of the racing--
Marc, I know what you mean-- There are 2 kinds of crashes-
1-mechanical failure--this isn't so bad--(servo, or switch fails,--not much you can do)
2-stupid stuff--you hook up the alirons backwards, (yea, twice) showing just how slow you can fly without stalling, (still bad memories about this one) inverted flight just to show off--(I won't mention how many times as this really gets my blood pressure up)--point is-- these are the ones that "burn my biscuits"
Years ago I was told by an older gentleman at the field--"when you apply the last decal and charge the battery for the first time, this starts a clock inside the plane--sometimes it ticks for a long time--sometimes it don"t" I keep telling that to myself--someday I will listen.--PS when it's no longer fun, it ain't fun anymore! or somethin like that!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Warbird_Lover
Banned

I just try to laugh it off.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:54 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Marc & Minnflyer
Cardinal rule...no pictures (except construction) til' after maiden flight. I see you both broke the rule and that explains it. I know...in this day of digital cameras and instant gratification, it's very difficult not to shoot glamour photos prior to the maiden. I'm guilty of it myself. Sorry to hear of your loss,
but somehow I know you'll find a way to get through it without getting too anethsitized.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:07 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Drink Heavily!

Great advice up above...

Just make sure that you leave one last detail off for the first flight. I always fly without a cowling (after having taken pictures with the cowling on.. ), or I don't put the wheelpants on or the last sticker...anything to ward off the gravity gods!

I remember the first R/C video I saw (circa 1983) where the pilot said..." Somewhere inside each plane is a date that it will go in..."
absolutely true my friend, absolutely!

Keep us posted boss,
james
Old 07-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the good parts, then burn,baby,burn!!

Silversurfer
Old 07-27-2002, 01:13 AM
mvigod
Banned

I'm glad I'm not alone...I also know a guy at my field who buried a few in the trees (3 to be exact) all in about a month and one was a big DP Extra on his 3rd flight I think. He hasn't been back to the field since as he is very bummed out but I'm hoping he's just taking a little time off and hope he gets back in the saddle again. It's been awhile since I dumped in anything I really liked so it's truly hard to relate until it happens to you.

Last major dump in was a "Magic" pattern plane (designed by Hanno Prettner) when I was around 13 years old. I built the plane over the entire winter and airbrushed a beautiful rainbox pattern with intricate curves. Retracts, pipe..the whole 9 yards. First flight dumped it in within 8 seconds. The cause? Aileron servos not reversed! Stupid, dumb, idiotic check I forgot in my excitement (hey I was 13). Nothing since then until this one (bad luck with ailerons seems to be my theme).

Maybe if I only fly planes with elevons I can be safe

Roger - your example surely puts some perspective on this...not to mention that asteroid hurling at us which is supposed to impact in like 17 years or so!

I guess I should hide the parts as everytime I see them I say "I can't believe I did that". This is one where I will buy another one and do it again...hopefully the date stamp inside this one will be further out
Old 07-28-2002, 12:34 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default Reaction to crashing

I had a gentleman asked me this question about 30Yrs ago. Here was my response, It is the same today.

I go and find all of the pieces. When I have found them I put them in a pile and set down beside them and cry. When I get my compuser back I pick up all of the pieces and return to the pit area.
This gentleman was dressed in a suit and tie. His response was, You may not actually do it that way in reality but I bet you do that inside. I told him he was correct and if he could do that he could enjoy the hobby. my .02 cents worth.
Lee

Another story that happened on the same day. I am sure that many of you have had to deal with this situation.
Another gentleman approached me during a later flight. He was telling me I was flying too high. (at 10ft many times.) He was talking loudly and screaming dive it, dive it, fly inverted just over the field. He was also getting in my field of vision. Just being annoying.
Then I made the opportunity to whack him in the head with the antenna. not one but 2 or 3 times he never caught on.
Then he asked me that question, "What do you do if you crash an airplane". Now this guy was a short person. So I said it makes me very angry so I look around and just Knock the "s....." out of the person closest to me. Then I am usually ok.
He got quiet, backed away and did not get within 20ft of me the remainder of the time he was at the field.
Lee
Old 07-28-2002, 02:29 AM
Mettler1

My philosophy is don't fly any plane you can't afford to lose on the first flight. Be it money or youself. It'll break your heart. If I build a plane it's something I can finish in a couple of weeks. I won't put my soul in a scale model just to watch it crash on the first flight. Any plane you have WILL crash if flown enough so get used to it and go on to the next one. I prorate my flights on a new plane-- first flight may cost me $500. Two flights are $250 per flight and so on. Get 100 flights on an airplane and it gets real cheap per flight. Flying model planes is grambling. Sometimes you lose!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:37 AM
mvigod
Banned

Mettler1 - I like that...guess some models end up being cheaper than others if you look at it that way...

Actually the time put in to build it bugs me...I spend alot of time putting together an aircraft to get everything straight and looking good and usually going overkill on linkages and such (except this time - now I know why I always go overkill) so after the crash I think of all the hours wasted to get 6 minutes in the air or whatever. But I guess it's a gamble and with plenty of links to break and cause failure it's a crapshoot but next time I'll stack the odds better in my favor.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:36 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

First thing I have to deal with on the long walk out to the smoking crater is my reaction....was it me, or was it the plane...I have become better at accepting my own failures, but it is tough on the ego...

If it is beyond rebuilding, I move on to something else. With so many kits and ARFs out there, I have difficulty moving backwards to something I have already built/assembled regardless how good it flew. There are more models out there than I will ever have time to enjoy, so my response is to put it behind me and move on.....
Old 07-28-2002, 12:04 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I have never crashed one during the first flight or early test flight stages . But I have certainly crashed a few. The loss is unplanned but unless I am either out of planes or out of money, it's a no worries situation. It is an opportunity to fill the new void in the hangar.

The only thing I do at the crash site is possibly take a few seconds to discover what may have happened. I like the idea of burning the remains with the fuel left in the tank.

At our field we did have a bit of an airplane graveyard at one time. Bury the tail section nose first. These tail sets would stay in the grave yard for the season

-Cheech