Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Multi Engine Forum

Old 07-27-2002, 10:33 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Multi Engine Forum

A few of us have been discussing multi engine planes so I asked RCadmin if we could make a new forum for such.. I have pasted below his thoughts of this..

The basics are a separate forum for planes with more than one engine excluding JETS as they already have their own forum..
This would be for anything and everything from small glow to giant gas..
Discussing building, sharing ideas, tips.. Flight characteristics,
new things available,, sharing pictures, recommendations, etc..
All normal RCU rules would apply...
Thank you,
Robby

=================================
RCAdmin reply:
Please post this question in one of the general forums for user discussion as to whether such a forum is needed...I don't decide how the site evolves but rather the users at large so please see what kind of feedback users have on this.

thanx
Old 07-28-2002, 01:42 AM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE A CBA MODELS 120" W/S P-38 AND A ZIROLI 144"W/S C-47. I THINK THESE FIT THIS CATEGORY.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes would enjoy the Forum

John
Old 07-28-2002, 08:21 AM
Steve Lewin

In lines with your thinking on Jets I guess you're also excluding Scale, Giant Scale and Warbirds as they already have their own forums. Aren't almost all multis scale models of some sort ? Is that really going to leave you enough to talk about ?

Steve
p.s. the only multis I fly are electric powered and I see they're also excluded from your proposed forum.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Robby

Steve,
Where in the heck did you come up with this....? First off, there are very few multi jets, and second, the are radically different than prop planes.. However, as RCadmin stated, if the people want to discuss MULTI engine jets then it shall be.. The same hold true with regard to electrics.. But again, they are a breed on to themselves.. My apology for leaving out electrics as I personally just never think of them.. Being as it is right now a PROPOSAL it is open to what the RCU members desire as long as it is in a positive or helpful manner..
Thank you,
Robby
Old 07-28-2002, 09:17 AM
GPaloz

I'm just getting started on multi engine planes and would like to see a forum on them.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:25 AM
Mike James

Default Yes!

I'd love to see the subject of mulit-engine aircraft have it's own page. I'm interested in different approaches to engine, tank, plumbing, and throttle setup, regardless of whether they're scale, warbird, jet, electric, or whatever else I didn't mention. It's the "engine" part of "multi-engine" that's the operative word.

To me, it's a separate issue from the "type" of plane.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:56 AM
Robby

Heyy Guyss... <and Gals, opppss>
There is only a couple more days to do this poll....
with all the RCU members there are I would have thought more
would have particiapated..
Thanks,,
Robby
Old 07-31-2002, 10:25 AM
JohnBuckner

Unfortunately it seems to be like controlline. Ukie people and multi flyers seem to tend to be very individualistic and loaners partially because our activities have the reputation of being outside the norm.

Everytime one of these efforts to get a forum comes up if you rely on one of these vote things it is almost certainly going to fail. In short if the forum is not there and given a resonable time to develop just as was done with the racing and and autogyro (two succcessful forums that would not have happened without the space), then it will be still born despite its merits.

By the way the actual number of posters is by no means and indicator of the success of a forum just look at the vintage forum. Here there are few regular posters but the views are huge.

So yes I do hope a multi forum is given a chance.

John

Just one last thought if we are truly given a chance with a forum, It should absolutly not exclude any dicipline including electric and controlline and by gosh if someone wants to talk about 'Twin Pusher Rubber ' then so be it by all means!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Robby

It seems that you guys are for it.. And it seems the best appraoch is to allow ANYTHING as long as it has more than one
motor/engine/powerplant..
Poll is still open for a couple more days. Constructive suggestions are encouraged and welcomed..
Thanks,
Robby
Old 08-06-2002, 02:22 AM
JohnBuckner

For the life of me I cannot understand why the nine people who have bothered to vote no without comment. It only leads me to assume that these folks are some of the ones who are locked into their own little small venue of this widely varied sport and want to do so at the exclusion of all else. Now I would hazard a guess that some of these same people have lurked at say the autogyro forum or heaven forbid the racing forum but would never admit it.

Its very likely that many who would like to talk a bit about 'multi's will ever do so untill there is a forum in place, there really is a world out there besides 3D and aerobatics.

I respectfully submit to the administrator that this one just may be another sleeper just as the Half A forum was a surprise to you. How many of you can admit to not having fantasized at least a little about ripping around with that F7F Tigercat or at least maybe just an old wishboned Ugly Stick. I suspect many more than would admit it.

So how about it Mr. Aministrator? RCU did not become number one as you pointed out today in the members E mail report by being timid.

Oh yes if you do support us I would like to suggest Robby as a possible moderator. He obviously has demonstrated some of what it takes to make it work.

John
Old 08-06-2002, 05:21 AM
Robby

I too wonder why the 'no' votes have no comment attached..
As with anything there are many members, but a lack of particiapation.. For those who read the stats of RCU as put out by Marc and then read that 29 votes made as of 08/05/02 ..
I did ask if it would be possible to have the 'multi-forum' and was told it would depend on what the members wanted.. Where it is not me who would determine the contents of the post, I have to admit my eyes have been opened to some different prespectives.. To those who made that possible, thank you..

Robby
Old 08-06-2002, 10:27 AM
Mike James

Default Give it a chance?

Well, I hate to grovel, but will do it anyway.

I agree with some of the above comments ..."Build it and they will come." I remember that the 3D/CAD forum started off a little slowly, but now has become a good source of info on software, hardware, methods or reducing/enlarging plans, creating plugs and molds, and so much more.

Multi-engine flight is only scary because of the obvious problems. Maybe if we get the thing going in a positive way, we can collectively solve some of them, and enable more people to build more "exotic" and fun models. I'm VERY interested in this subject, so my view is a little slanted. Still, I doubt that I'm alone.

Please?
Old 08-07-2002, 02:59 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know why. And I vote NO, too. The subject is TOO NARROW. There are only a few questions about multis. Only a few topics. Within a couple of weeks, they will all be answered, and then it will just be a repetition of the same questions.
It's just not worth a whole forum for it. Instead, ask in the jets or warbirds whatever, or just do a search under twins.
I fly many multis, I really love twins, but I cannot see adding yet another forum to the site for them.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:26 AM
JohnBuckner

Hi Easytiger good to hear from you, finally someone with enough class to actualy say something instead of just silently trying to derail another activity. First I would like to say that I do respect your opinion and have enjoyed our conversations over in the vintage forum.

In regards to this being to narrow a subject the same might be said for the vintage or autogyro forums but both have done quite well and rightfully so. Also both experiance a much larger volume of lurkers than posters. Case in point is myself, I do not fly autogyros and may never but I do visit that forum every day two or three times simply because I like them and that for a huge number of users even though they may not post is a valuable commodity.

Now if you think doing searchs or looking for obscure post lost somewhere in the shuffle is effective then I suggest that is as good as useless. Then the board just ends up looking like all the rest with virtually identical catagories and as you know that can get boring too precisely why we need some of the more unusual subjects, wittness your own frequent activity at the vintage forum.

Let me tell a little story if I may; Over the last few years My main activity has been pylon racing and have managed to make about ten formal races a year in a three state area as well as practicing on the course almost on a daily basis and back at that point a few of us had struggled to to keep a single thread opened on RCO just so an admittedly small cross section of the RC community could share. Out of that single RCO thread has grown the fantastic race forum here at RCU.

Calling a multi forum too narrow with not enough to talk about is a bit silly compared to something like the beginers forum, now there is one that has a huge number of possible subjects but how many times have you read, whats the best trainer? Whats the hotest .46? or my favorite, I soloed in one day. I,d be willing to bet a throttle synchronizer that you visit that forum on occassion even though your bored with those questions!

No I respecfully suggest that a multi forum will not only do well but truly play a part in concert with a few other unique forums here in making RCU a true pilots board and not just a copy cat of the others.

Good talking with you Easy tiger see ya at the vintage board

John

Oh man don,t get me going on a Ukie forum, I hate to have to go to RCW all the time for one forum
Old 08-07-2002, 07:16 AM
Steve Lewin

I didn't vote either way in the end but IMO the real problem with a Multi forum is that it overlaps a bunch of existing forums. Take your F7F Tigercat, if I'm looking for information about one of those do I look in Multis or Scale or Giant Scale or perhaps Warbirds ?

It may be just me but I think having too many forums which are not well differentiated makes the place less accessible not more.

Now if we were talking about Control Line that's different. Nothing like anything else round here at all Though a few of the existing C/L forums aren't too well supported either.

Steve
Old 08-07-2002, 12:33 PM
Mike James

Default Focus

I don't think the multi-engine forum would overlap or obscure other projects, because, in my understanding, the forum would be about multi-engine PROPULSION, not so much focused on the planes, unless there was something so peculiar about a particular airplane that it had different considerations from the rest.

My interest in the forum is all those things related to multi-ENGINES, and the quirks of setting up reliable operation. Everyone's aircraft projects could still go in their appropriate forums, as they do now.

Multi-engine operations are most certainly different from single engine operations, and I think there are plenty of "issues" to improve on. (power selection, engine mounting, fuel systems, counter-rotating props, pusher props, cooling, engine synchronizing, throttle setups, engine-out procedures, gyros, etc..)

I think I'll bow out of this thread now, before I start to look like a spammer. I love RCU regardless of this issue, so I don't want to actually escalate this into any sort of argument. It's been a pretty healthy thread so far.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Robby

This has been a healthy thread.. EasyTiger, thank you for being
open with giving your reasoning as to why not.. Steve Lewin, thank you also for your input.. Hopefully we can dispell your current thoughts of non-info and cross forums..
As has been noted the vintage or autogyro forums are alive and do ok.. I took a stroll over and look at them recently.. I was very surprised as what I saw... There is always going to be a cross over between forums..
The purpose of this proposal is to have a place to discuss planes with more than one engine, any type of power..
So yes, it may have a warbird on topic, yes, it may have a TwinStar on topic,yes, it may have a Skymaster on topic.. Point being, is that if there are related questions/topics to the use of more than one engine then it should be within the multi engine forum..
I have seen questions relating to multi engine use if four different forums of late.. Had this been put within one forum it could have been adressed perhaps by scale types and by also ARF types, AND, the giant types..
On a personal note, I guess if a person has an interests and an understanding of multi engines , then they would have an interests and an understanding of why this forum would be a welcomed asset..
Robby
Old 08-10-2002, 01:51 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
For the life of me I cannot understand why the nine people who have bothered to vote no without comment. It only leads me to assume that these folks are some of the ones who are locked into their own little small venue of this widely varied sport and want to do so at the exclusion of all else. Now I would hazard a guess that some of these same people have lurked at say the autogyro forum or heaven forbid the racing forum but would never admit it.

Its very likely that many who would like to talk a bit about 'multi's will ever do so untill there is a forum in place, there really is a world out there besides 3D and aerobatics.

I respectfully submit to the administrator that this one just may be another sleeper just as the Half A forum was a surprise to you. How many of you can admit to not having fantasized at least a little about ripping around with that F7F Tigercat or at least maybe just an old wishboned Ugly Stick. I suspect many more than would admit it.

So how about it Mr. Aministrator? RCU did not become number one as you pointed out today in the members E mail report by being timid.

Oh yes if you do support us I would like to suggest Robby as a possible moderator. He obviously has demonstrated some of what it takes to make it work.

John
Hey, John! Well...two gentleman can agree to disagree on this one!
I don't think it's worth the drive space, but you never know. The autogyro forum is still going.
I would RATHER see a control line forum. I think the people would be glad to come here instead of RCW.
Again...I think there are only less than a dozen FAQ about twins, and it will get very repetitive, but it would not really do anybody any real harm by having one.
As far as the beginners forum being repetitive, well, they are BEGINNERS, and there is no such thing as a stupid question coming from them. They are forgiven for not doing a search for their question! And good on the people who stick around that forum to ANSWER the questions. I stay away from there, myself!
Old 05-06-2021, 07:43 PM
Flyingbaseball

Thats a good idea. I will probably try it.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:43 PM
Flyingbaseball

Sorry I clicked on the weong thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.