Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What you like/dislike at hobby shops

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What you like/dislike at hobby shops

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 08:34 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you like/dislike at hobby shops

I've never been in the retail biz, so I'm simply going by what I observe. Have a look:

http://www.trainsandplaneshobbies.co...aft/index.html

Ed there just moved to a much bigger storefront on a major thoroughfare a few months ago and is doing quite well these days.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:56 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by YellowAircraft

I got out of the LHS business mostly because I realized that I could be buying turbines instead of spending that money on anti-depressants. The best one, though: You've spent two hours making your customer a veritable expert on RC. Finally, he says, "Ring it up." You've got the stuff at the counter, he's filling out his check, and when you turn around to grab some ZAP for him, some *****hole behind him whispers that Tower has all the same stuff in a combo that would save him $45 (the *****hole doesn't mention that the combo comes with the cheapee stuff). The customer says "Really?" and cancels the sale, walks out the door with the number to Tower that the friendly *****hole wrote down for him on the back of one of our business cards.

The fella in the story, you know who you are!
Great insight Shaun... I know the business well because I spent three years of my late teens working at two different hobby shops. You describe it well. I can remember days like you described. The kicker is that the customer will come back with their new Tower trainer two weeks later and ask you how to hook it up and buy one $.99 part. It's a hard thing to explain how most of these mom and pop shops are forced to buy from distributors and then basically compete with the place they just bought it from in the retail marketplace!

For example: Joe's hobby buys a kit from its distributor - Monopoly Hobby Dist for $129. The kit retails (MSRP for $225 and the going street price at the hobby shop is $170. The mail order shops in magazines have it for $145. Obviously, the mom and pop place is not getting a dealer price on the kit because they don't sell 10 a week and can't afford to buy 10 or more at a time! It's afine line at selling it for a loss vs moving it. All depends on the product too. It's just a viscous circle...

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

For those of us in Illinois, Tower Hobbies blows. The prices are not all that special for mail order and the stuff is almost ALL very mainstream. And then on top of that we pay state sales tax .

I like my local hobby shop. In an earlier post someone was belly aching about their LHS being 1/2 hour away, one way. Mine is further, but anything up here is. It's worth the drive.

So I get almost all of my new gear through the hobby shop. They will get the less mainstream stuff from Airwild, Dave Patrick, etc.. at my convenience and they make a few bucks. Sometimes I get a great price, sometimes I don't. Hopefully they are making enough income to stay in biz. I would hate to see them disappear.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:50 AM
canesugarrules

Originally posted by DavidR
Canesugarules,

What store in New Orleans are you refering to??? I get down there several times a year where is it?

David Reid
Hobby Hut
http://www.ehobbyhut.com
Old 07-31-2002, 06:54 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

I always attempt to buy from the LHS unless the price difference is too much to tolerate. I love going in and browsing and want to give them my support so they stay around.

Having said that I still purchase online, sometimes due to major price differences, but more often due to product availability.

Warmonger,

Regarding Mike's, I'm also a long way from them (about 40 min.), but I make the trip every now and then because it's an awesome store!

I'm amazed that they either meet or beat the online prices on most major items, kits, arfs and engines. In fact, I bought my Ultra Stick 40 from them because it was sold out everywhere I checked online, but they had several in stock. To my surprise it was the same as the online price and the OS 70 FS was $10 cheaper!

Keith
Old 07-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Nuker

I do 95% of my shopping at 2 LHS's in my area. They have both provided $$$ and prizes for our events, have reasonable prices (sometimes more, sometimes less than catalogue). They know the hobby and participate when they can and readily discuss options to solve problems. They drool with us over the latest SAITO that hits the market and get one in so we can all look it over, while having a coffee or pop. Sometimes we just go there to shoot the poop and breath in balsa fumes

They even gave a bunch of props to our combat league (after we all kept going there for replacements ).

They handle returns and whatever they don't have in stock I get in about a week with no shipping charges. If a part is real hard to get in, they suggest we use the online ordering if it will be faster.

I can go there on a Sunday afternoon and get a backplate for my .15 sized combat (after an incident) and be back in the air in 45 minutes.

So if it costs me an average of 3-5% more over the year I look at it as saving even more with the benefits myself and my club receive. Money well spent. I just don't see the online guys being able to provide the save level of service.

Just my opinion

Nuker
Old 07-31-2002, 10:49 AM
Warmonger

Warmonger,

Regarding Mike's, I'm also a long way from them (about 40 min.), but I make the trip every now and then because it's an awesome store!

Keith [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree Keith. Mike's is one of my favorites and definitely has a better inventory than most, but you know how spread out N. Texas is. Its hard to find the extra 2 hours to drive and shop most weeks.

Someone else on RCU mentioned the lack of LHS's having functional websites: I second that. If a local store were online and prices and specials were similar to Tower, etc. Custmers could order online locally (UPS does next day in metro areas) or at least shop without making the drive vs. knowing what an online retailer has to offer. I personally would support the LHS in these cases. Who I order from online doesn't matter and all things being equal I would support my local guy. Right now though there is very little competition for the Tower's of the world.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:36 AM
gshepherd83
My Feedback: (2)

Default customer focus

I dont know if anybody has been in the Columbia,SC hobby store in the Harbison area? This is absolutely the worst hs I have ever been in! This is the normal visit: walk in to no response from anyone, not even a hello, walk back to the three ft of airplane parts and pieces (the owner is in to rc cars and the store shows) cant find what you need,so walk to the counter and after waiting behind the usual pack of hang-arounds comparing rc cars, you have to interrupt them so they all stop and stare while you ask about a part you need. The guy (always the same 3 people, including the owner who is just as bad!) does not ask any questions about what your looking for its always the same immediate answer "Were out, it'll be here in a few days" and goes straight back to talking to the hang-arounds :boxing: . Upon your return for the part you walk in (still no greeting) and go back to the plane section still have the same empty hook hanging there . I gave this lousy place 5 or 6 chances and unbelievably it just got worse! Never Again, I dont care if I just need a glow plug to fly for the weekend I will order it and wait untill next week. I want to stress this is not personal, I have not even had a chance to spend any serious money there, because I cant get anyone's attention long enough to do so! If you have a business at least ACT LIKE YOU CARE! and dont underestimate the distance someone will travel to avoid bad service. just my opinion.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:42 PM
tazzdevl1
My Feedback: (1)

The ideal LHS would have a variety of hobby items. Not just planes or cars or boats. It'd also have more than just RC related stuff. It has been my observation that LHS that cater to just one facet of the hobby industry does not survive very long. The other thing that irritates me about stores(not only LHS) is they don't restock very often. You go in to buy something you need, a commonly used item, and they're out! If you're going to be in business RESTOCK. OK, I feel better now.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:04 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I do ALL my buying at Venture Hobbies in Wheeling,IL. His prices are always lower than Tower's and I don't have to pay for shipping. Most of the people working there are retired rc'ers so they have tons of knowledge to share. If you don't see what you want you can order it and it arrives pretty quick. I've run into problems with a couple of products and they reimbursed me with no questions asked. I guess why they're always crowded.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Dugster

To misquote Will Rogers;

"I never met a hobby shop I didn't like".
Old 08-03-2002, 04:44 AM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

I'd say a good Hobby shop should not stymie innovation.

For example, fuel can be made alot cheaper than the hobby shops sell it for, according to some of the posts I've read. In our club, however, this and other ideas are never or rarely brought up. Perhaps the reason why is that one of the officers of the club is a LHS owner, who gives us 10% off retail. He and the 10 people at the top dont want to see him losing business, however.