Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

flight packs vs. complete systems?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

flight packs vs. complete systems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:39 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flight packs vs. complete systems?

OK, so I'm shopping for a flight pack, so I can have more than three planes at the feild...

And I'm baffled by marketing...

Why does a Fut. flight pack cost $179Canadian while a complete 4 channel 'Skysport' cost $199?!?!?

Is a Tx (with battery, gimbals, antenna, etc, etc etc..) really only $20?!

I guess I'll have the buddy box, and a box to rig into a flight sim soon!!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:31 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: flight packs vs. complete systems?

The flight packs are more marketed toward those people that have computer radios with 6+ model memory and cost a good bit more than just a flight pack would. It is hard to convince yourself that you should buy just a flight pack when you are buying it for a radio that is only 20 bucks more, but once you have that 4/5/6 hundred (or more) dollar radio, you won't think that the flight pack is such a bad deal anymore.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:47 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Don't get me wrong, I already have the 6XA. Only reason I bought it was for the 6 channels, the the 6 model memory, computer mixing, etc. etc... and that fact that I wouldn't need to buy new one...

But you'de figure that the complete 4 ch Tx would be the most expencive part to manufacture. So, in removing it , that would lower the price for just aflight pack conciderably...

The only realy difference between a 'Skysport' 4ch system and a typical flight pack is just that, the included Tx...
Old 09-18-2003, 02:57 PM
ekrcflyer

It is also depends on servos. Usually cheaper radios comes with cheaper servos.

4 channels SkySport cost less, but you can "set" only 1 plane with this radio (trim adjustments, etc.). More expensive (computerized) radios have memory for 6 or more planes. Now, what is better - having 6 planes and 6 radios, or 6 planes and 1 radio (plus flight packs)?

6 SkySports @ $200 is $1200.
1 6XAS (with "flight pack included" ) - $230 plus 5 flight packs @ $120 each totals $830...

Not to mention "headache" (kinda) of managing 6 transmitters.

Consider also, that for 3rd or 4th plane 4 channels might be not enough...

Finally, to simplify your life try to add prices of the components for one flight pack if you buy them separately.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Mike in DC

Is a Tx (with battery, gimbals, antenna, etc, etc etc..) really only $20?!
It's worse than that. The complete system comes with a charger, which if you were to buy separately would cost $30.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:46 AM
SaviCatses

6 SkySports @ $200 is $1200.
1 6XAS (with "flight pack included" ) - $230 plus 5 flight packs @ $120 each totals $830...
Put it this way (tower hobbies prices, where skysports are 150$):

1 6XAS + 5 flight packs = 830$, includes

1 computer radio (6 channels)
6 receivers
1 TX battery
6 RX batteries
1 sets of crystals
1 overnight charger
24 servos (bb 3004)
1 servo tray
6 switch harnesses
1 servo extension wire (6")
5 servo extension wires (9")

1 6xas + 5 skysports: = 975$, includes

1 computer radio (6 channels)
5 four-channel radios
6 receivers
6 TX batteries
6 RX batteries
6 sets of crystals
6 overnight chargers
24 servos (bb 3004)
6 servo trays
6 switch harnesses
1 servo extension wire (6")

The difference: 145$ for 5 tx batteries, 5 sets of crystals, 5 overnight, and 5 servo trays more (though you're missing 5 servo extension wires)!

I'm not considering the extra TXs, but think about this, you can sell the 5 skysports on ebay as buddy boxes for 10$ each and get back 50$.

Tell me why anyone bothers with buying Flight packs again?

Here's another even simpler way of looking at it:
Skysport = 150$
Flight Pack + Crystal set = 150$
Old 09-19-2003, 10:47 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bother with flight packs because I get better ball bearing servo's. I use Hitec's HS-425 double ball bearing servo with RX3800 7 channel receiver and 600MAH battery pack and switch set. I definitely do not need more 4 channel transmitters. All this cost $99.00 US
John
Old 09-19-2003, 12:23 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also just order the rec and servos I need because I use better servos and usually can't get them with a package. If you are just getting the basics, package deals are great, but like you say, the transmitter fits in there for just a few bucks more. Get it and sell it on ebay or in a forum. Just shows how much they make on their flight packs.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:36 PM
SaviCatses

I bother with flight packs because I get better ball bearing servo's
I know you're using JR, but for Futaba the flight packs come with the same ball bearing servos as the transmitters.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:56 PM
ekrcflyer

I did not know if this is legal to use full transmitter as a buddy box. Also, if somebody buying cheaper radio for a cheaper plane - the person would like to have set of servos, receiver and batteries too, isn't it?
Old 09-19-2003, 02:53 PM
JNorton

SaviCatses,
Minor point but Hitec HS-425's are dual ball bearing, while Futaba 3004 are top ball bearing only.

ekrcflyer ,
Perfectly legal to use a full transmitter as a buddy box. If using Futaba transmitters with a Futaba trainer cord the "Buddy" doesn't transmit. Same holds true if you use Jr's to Jr's etc. If using Futaba to Hitec use the Hitec cable, otherwise the Hitec will transmit. If using Hitec to Futaba use the Futaba cable. 1st mentioned transmitter is the "Master" that actually transmits. In any case you can always pull the crystal on the "Buddy".
John
Old 09-19-2003, 09:37 PM
ekrcflyer

Thanks John.

It's a good piece of information about using full box as a buddy box, except for the fact that pulling crystal will not prevent radio from “transmitting”. "Real" buddy boxes don't have a crystal AND final transmitting module (amplifier).
Old 09-20-2003, 05:25 AM
JNorton

Pulling a crystal will prevent a transmitter from transmitting. The RF section or "Final" will not be modulated, hence no transmission.

As far as using "Real" buddy boxes, I use my 4 channel Hitec to fly my Rascal with. When my brother-in-law whom I'm training wants to fly, I use my Futaba 6XAS. The Rascal is on memory 3 and I can set the rates on low. He uses the Futaba as a low rate buddy box. Try setting low rates on your "Real" buddy box. When we are through I can then use the Futaba to fly my Four Star.

Sometimes flexibility wins. Plus I haven't spent money on a box I can only use for one purpose.

Later,
John