The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Bad Form in the FOR SALE groups?

Old 07-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bad Form in the FOR SALE groups?

...generally considered poor form to beat a guy up over the price they are trying to sell an item for. If you want it, buy it..if not, skip it.
I read this in one of the FOR SALE ads here on RCU. I thought it noteworthy. Does the poster really feel this way? I don't . I think a seller should welcome an offer. If he doesn't like it he can choose to not accept it.

As a seller I have gotten ridiculous insulting lowball offers for stuff, and I just say 'no' to the offers I don't want. I never considered it bad form on the part of a buyer. What does the rest of the world think?

-Cheech
Old 07-30-2002, 08:15 PM
TheEdge
My Feedback: (787)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Huh ?

I read it as a comment regarding how much someone is asking for their item. Not about low ball offers.

I think there is a difference when it comes to this.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So after a little more thought and discussion I discovered that we were talking about a poster who complains about the sellers price but is unwilling to make an offer. They make comparisons to other prices elsewhere or whatever.

Yep, I would agree that's bad form. I misunderstood it to mean that offers under ask price were bad form. My mistake. End of discussion from my end.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:45 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default And from me too...

I was not very clear about what I called poor form. Cheech and I were just not on the same page due to my obtuse reply, but we seem to have worked through this matter.

Sorry for the confusion, Cheech...my bad.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess your right, but I have mixed feelings. If someone is asking 1.5 times the LHS or internet price or a ridiculous amount I feel like I should warn some unsuspecting victim, but then again we're all adults here and can pay whatever we want, can't we. I have a small engine for sale, not sure what kind, $200 takes it..................
Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An offer is an OFFER.. I am never insulted if I get a low ball
O F F E R .. At least it shows an interest.. Hey, if someone can ask
whatever the hell they want, I can offer whatever I want.. If
-*WE*- come to an agreement,, then must be a good deal.. huh.

Robby

Oh, and 4*60 ---
$200 is wayy too much!! Forget it!! I will only offer $300
and not a damn penny less.. Take it or leave it... Oh,
and one other thing, bucky,, do NOT insult me by calling me an
adult.. I am just an over grown spoiled brat, thankyouverymuch..
Old 07-30-2002, 11:32 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Good point..

Originally posted by 4*60
I guess your right, but I have mixed feelings. If someone is asking 1.5 times the LHS or internet price or a ridiculous amount I feel like I should warn some unsuspecting victim, but then again we're all adults here and can pay whatever we want, can't we. I have a small engine for sale, not sure what kind, $200 takes it..................
But in the deal in question, the guy was asking $.85 less than a well known internet mail order business. That did not stop a guy from pointing out an incorrect price that didn't include shipping in the thread.

Say I bought a roll of Monokote for $15 from a LHS, and advertised it for sale for $14 here. I would be losing $1. Does a guy popping into my thread telling me that Tower has it for $13 do me any good?? Not really..if he can get it for $13 from Tower, that is wonderful. Does it make me a crook for asking $14?? I hope not.

That was my point, but like I said before I didn't articulate my position very clearly in the post that started it all. And so I again apologize.

Oh and 4*60...stay away from Ebay! I have seen engines exactly like yours sell for almost $350! Some people don't have any idea what things cost, and will pay well more than 1.5 times the internet or mail order price!!
Old 07-31-2002, 03:55 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ChuckAuger:

Your example is just fine and no one should jump in when prices are close. The buyer can do the homework or decide to buy here.

No apology necessary. We got some discussion!

You're right about Ebay. I have bought some good items at good prices, but lately I keep watching things, shaking my head and deleting them from my watch list. Generally things are crazy there. You have to watch for someone who doesn't know the value and also puts buy it now on their listing!!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:24 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default comments

Being the recent recipient of worthless comments about the price I was asking for an engine , I have never thought it was my responsibility to educate every potential buyer on RCU or Ebay what the lowest possible price of things are by posting it on the persons ad. If you feel it is your responsibility to give someone else your opinion about a price then do it with Email instead of smearing the ad , What a person can buy something for and what a person is willing to pay are two different things. There will always be people who feel they must be the PRICE POLICE and be a smart *****. My asking price is simply that, an asking price, the word "FIRM" has no value at most online swap N Shops anyway, the fact is you can always come down but you usually can't go up. IMO if the moderators see the activity of people complaining about a price and posting retail prices should be deleted and not allowed, don't like it , don't buy it or make an offer. I wonder if these people stand in front of K-mart informing everyone they can get the same thing cheaper at Target. The fact is the market will ususally do its job.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Steve Lewin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting debate. I suppose it depends on whether you think the For Sale forums are a competitive enviroment in which every seller's aim should be to gouge the maximum possible money out of his "fellow modeller".

If I saw someone offering a secondhand xxx at an asking price of more than a readily available new price I might just think it reasonable to warn people. Perhaps this isn't what you mean, but what you seem to be saying is that it's fine to overcharge people provided that they don't notice.

The most likely reason that a person is willing to pay more than the genuine going price is because he doesn't know what the real price is. If there are sellers around playing on that fact I'd suggest it is reasonable to educate people about the existence of such sellers. As for taking it to email, how exactly do you suggest that one emails all the people reading the ad, maybe newbies, who are about to be ripped off through their lack of knowledge ?

Not that it affects me personally. I don't buy stuff here. After all I've read I no longer trust my "fellow modeller". Which is a shame.

Steve
Old 07-31-2002, 03:55 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default prices

I'll give my Example , My ad was for a Newly rebuilt O.S. .46 FX , New piston and liner, new bearings and new crankshaft, it also came with a tuned pipe and header but not the original muffler. My asking price was 135.00 to include the shipping, Then a guy makes me an offer of $90.00 (thats fine, no problem) but hten goes on to post he can buy the same engine new for 109.00, which of course is true but not with a tuned pipe and header, now he has FALSE and MISLEADING information on MY ad, The engine I was selling was not your standard package so the price of a standard engine has no bearing on my asking price .I did sell the engine dispite the BS that had to be posted in response to this guy. Reguardless of what an Item can be purchased for we don't know how much someone paid for it, although they may be below what they paid they may still be above a discount stores price , they should still be able to recover as much as they can , IMO if you don't know what the normal cost of something is why are you blindly buying at a swap n shop or auction in the first place ? If they have the ability to find this site or Ebay they have the ability to do a simple search to find the retail price. I have no problem sending the Seller a line about going prices in email or people that are asking about it, but it is really non of my buisness what a person is asking for an Item , the exception perhaps being if we know for a fact there is something fradulant about the ad, That should be brought to the attention of the moderator right away. And lets not forget that there is no standard price for out of production items , collectors or specialty items, only the free market can determine that , its worth what someone is willing to pay be it new stock or old stock.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:36 PM
mvigod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Yea, what Dave said!

Originally posted by Leroy2Big
I couldn't have said it better myself!

IMO, any whining about pricing that is posted here should be deleted. Take it to email!

The worst part is when a moderator hops on the same boat as the whiner and rides along; I've seen that happen here. That is a very poor example for a moderator, not to mention what it says about this website.

Leroy
Leroy,

First I have not seen this myself and if you do ever see a moderator jumping on board with this behaviour why not send a note to me about it or click "report post to moderator" as that will trigger a notice to several moderators.

I also noticed this is your first post here...
Old 08-01-2002, 03:46 AM
mvigod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Bohunk
Can't we all get along?
of course we can