The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ever want to quit?

Old 07-31-2002, 04:47 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ever want to quit?

I totalled this really nice Cermark F20 tonight. I mean, demolished it beyond any sort of recognition; brand new engine too. It makes me sick to the stomach to think I only managed to get 4 great flights out of it before flying through a line of trees. Then I realized, this just isn't worth it anymore. I have a choice of two fields; one where antisocial old men scream and yell at you for having fun, and another that's completely surrounded by trees. Has anyone else ever had a crash so bad that it made you want to walk away from this hobby?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:24 AM
SDCrashmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I feel ya. I've been frustrated to the breaking point way too many times. Give it some time, let it pass, it's all going to be OK. Take a couple weeks off. You'll be back at it before you know it. Nothing worse than a bunch of anti-social, park-flyer flyin', technology fearin', no-change allowin', stodgy old coots trying to police every damn little thing going on at the field. If it's a model airplane field and a guy shows up with a model airplane and an AMA card...let him fly. If your wanting to stick your police dog sniffin' nose in there...do us all a favor and go home instead. All you gestapo guys need to take a chill pill.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:51 AM
simo_aus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got sick of power flying about 10 months ago and just stoped. I keept up gliding and slope soaring. I'm notw back into power flying. We all need to take a break some-time.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:31 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gather around gents and I will tell you a story. Yes I have many times. While in my early teens I had the pleasure of belonging to a club where Jack Stafford flew. Well we became good friends and still are and he mentored me a lot. He always said that I was a hacker and would never build a good looking plane, his way of getting me motivated to do better and it worked. I got a 1/2-A Cessna 120 F/F and worked so hard on it that it wasn't funny. It was covered in yellow jap tissure and trimmed in red, darn thing sure was pretty. Well came the day to fly it and I felt like a Virgin on her honeymoon night!!!! Jack checked it over, refused to believe that I had built, but with a smile on his face. No power and a gentle too and it flew straight as an arrow and beautiful it was so Jack said fuel it up!!! Well I got engine running, knees were ah shaking, and i wanted to pee so bad, but like a trooper I let it go!!!! It climbed out about 50' true as a bird and then slowly did a left wing over and straight in it went. I was in SHOCK and jack had this sick look on his face and that day I never wanted to see another model plane again. Post mortem that we came up with was a small warp in one of wings that just didn't show up when we test flew it. Morale of the story????? If you don't want to crash them, then don't build them! there will be more and you just have to accept that fact. I am sorry though that you lost a good plane.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:07 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LAST JUNE!!!!!!Sold 10 planes, engines, receivers, field equipment--everything but one plane (electric)--just in case I I wanted to get to the field and fly one day.

NOW--1 1/3 scale Pitts flying-- 1/3 Jungman in the bones (engine installed)--1/4 ARF Extra in the box-(with engine)--1 sport pattern plane now being built by a RCU buddy-- 96" Super Decathalon flying--1/4 Scale Balsa USA Pup flying

Yea- I walked away--and then RAN BACK!
Old 07-31-2002, 09:14 AM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SDCrashmaster YOU SAID IT JUST RIGHT. WE HAD THIS PROBLEM AT ONE OR FIELDS. WHEN THE MEMBERSHIP STARTED TO FALL THE PRESIDENT WANTED TO KNOW WHY. WE TOLD HIM. THE OLD COOTS ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:45 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK young-uns... Not ALL us ol' coots are RC Gestapo. Our club is a mix of very old and quite young. We solo (and keep as members) several new guys per season and solo, but lose to other clubs, military deployments and other hobbies about twice that many. In the past four years that I've been a member of that club, no one has been 'run off' by the old geezers

Having said that, allow me to add that there ARE club and AMA safety rules in effect and dangerous flying is a no-no. We do, as most clubs, have a safety officer and while he is a local policeman, he has never taken out his gun and shot anyone (that didn't really need shooting, anyway). With that off my chest it's back to the subject.

I stated building and flying some 52 years ago and went through the FF, CL and early RC phases of the hobby until 1980 when family and work loads put an end to my hobby. It's often said that some folks are lifers and I guess I'm one too. In 1998 a friend (?) gave me a Goldberg J3 and the next thing I knew I was the proud owner of a dozen or so ships etc. Sure you may want to quit due to a crash, outside pressures, or even "old geezers", but once this hobby gets in your blood, you'll be back!

quint

An old geezer and proud of it.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:15 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NO!

Dan
Old 07-31-2002, 02:15 PM
tazzdevl1
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Monday my Tower Trainer went in at full throttle. Pieces of airplanr EVERYWHERE! So, the the next day I'm sitting at home still sick about the crash and figured I'd go out the field to see if anyone was flying. There was a couple of guys out there. And after talking to them about what happened. I felt better and went home to finish my 4*40 kit. Guess I had to get it of my chest so to speak. So, to answer the question, I quit on Monday and went back to it on Tuesday!

Cliff
Old 07-31-2002, 02:48 PM
tmproff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a rule...always have at least 2 planes in your hanger....Just in case of that mishap, you wont get totally depressed. I am trying to stay in a habit of having at least one kit in the building stage at any time. I totally understand your feelings. I built a plane a couple of months ago....flew like crap, it wrecked after the 5th flight. I was so mad I didn't want to come back...
Old 07-31-2002, 02:52 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Good To See quint Here!

Just in the last couple of weeks I was going to sell everything and give it up. Between the weather being bad and the drive to the field, 30 minutes either one I go to, I just didn't have the steam for it anymore. Then one day I got talked into going and took a plane but I wasn't going to fly. But I did and enjoyed it! The other day I charged up my Midwest Extra and then hung it back on the wall. Went to the filed with a buddy to watch and then wished I had the plane with me. He said I was just lazy and I best quit it!

I think the other fellow was right. You just gotta take a break every now and then. But I can't quit all together. I gotta have something for the uncle quint fly-in next July down in Mississippi!
Old 07-31-2002, 03:39 PM
GrnBrt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let me add another one here as reading these new ones made me think a bit more. I'm not flying this year due to a pinched nerve in the low back that they can't seem to find so I have had a lot of time to reflect on a few things. Prior to this problem I was getting real bored with the hobby, both flying and building and didn't know why and was ready to walk. The problem you see is that I was building and flying basically the same type of model, 4*40, Easy Sport 40, Mid Star 40, well you get my drift. The challenge was no longer there and boredom set in. Now when the problem is fixed in my back I will go back to building what I enjoy the most, scale, and fly what I like the most, precise aerobatics. In any kind of hobby one must keep making new challenges or what you are doing will eventually get stale and that's what I'm seeing a lot of.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Two years to build...

Totally destroyed with less than 30 seconds air-time.

I moped around the house for a week or two, then I started another kit.

Like tmproff said, ya gotta have some spares.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19587_7722.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	12349  
Old 07-31-2002, 09:55 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's all part of the game. I sometimes hope I crash some of my plane so I can move onto a different one. (Does that sound morbid?)
Old 07-31-2002, 10:11 PM
RCPat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default wanting to quit

I just demolished a brand new Avistar II this morning. I was stupid enough to let the overhead sun blind me for a second. Too late! I saved the engine and radio controls, hopefully. But I had three more planes in the car and I just took a deep breath, set up another plane and flew again.

KEEP ON FLYING! IT'S WHAT KEEPS US SANE!

Sometimes you get discouraged, but just Hang In There !

Good Luck!

Pat
Old 08-01-2002, 12:02 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let me ad one more thing while I am at it.--AND THIS HAS HELPED ME A LOT! I try not to own, build , or fly anything I cannot afford to crash. I have owned a lot of planes that were too pretty and expensive-- flying them just was not fun! Don't get me wrong-I got a number of 1/3--1/4 scale. When I go to flyins such as Joe Nall and see all of the 35-40% planes, I start to figure out how to get one--then I stop and give myself a good lecture. That way when I do crash--(in my 11 or so years in the hobby I have crashed more planes than many modelers have owned)--well I don't feel nearly as bad. Just a thought that has helped me.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:33 AM
TERMAGATOR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

like my daddy said: " all of em got crashes in'em, you just got to get rid of them before the crash comes out"....
and no my dad was not Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-01-2002, 01:37 AM
SDCrashmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Minnflyer,
I've stated this before in another thread. The gods of karma dislike beauty shots taken before the maiden flight. Construction shots are one thing, but fully assembled, ready-to-fly glamor shots have a way of destroying planes on their first flights...I know it's weird...but.
RE: stodgy old coots...I know that there are many oldtimers that I always enjoy hanging around. Col. Bob Thacker, for one, is a pleasure and a riot to be around. The Gestapo I'm referring to are the ones who first, don't like your plane cause' it's not a cub, old warbird, or slow flyer like they have always had and always will have. Seeing a jet gets their underwear all in a bunch. They sit there just hoping so badly that you will fly out of the designated area that they just have to start grumbling when you even get near it. They make it very clear that they wish you were not there, at least if you're going to fly that thing. Sound familiar? Know anyone like that. Can you feel it? They truly can remove the enjoyment from the hobby.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:49 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Several thoughts here.

2 years ago, my 36%Edge died in a low torque roll, splat. Had a contest that weekend so finished up the 37% Extra which flew less than 30sec and ail flutter caused it to crash. Some say money isn't the deal but that was $13K destroyed in a 24hour period, with a Wells Cargo trailer waiting to be picked up, without any planes to put in it.

Considered selling out, and my friends sort of kept suicide watch. They pushed me to go to the contest and another guy let me fly his edge(back in the saddle)

As the weekend continued I started getting the idea to rebuild both(had built them to start with) and the challenge was there. Both are repaired with the extra having over 350 flights on it now. The best thing is you wouldn't know either had been crashed. Of course it helps that I built them to start with. Not knocking ARF's but it is harder to rebuild something that came built already. This is what gets me going. My oly went in about 2 months ago, also fixed it to everyone's amazement and now have about 20 flights on the repaired one.

Personally, why sell everything at 1/4 price when I know somewhere down the road I'll go pay full price for new, again.

ed
Old 08-01-2002, 04:05 AM
WRXlovr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

spit happens!live with it!trust me guys this makes it fel better
Old 08-01-2002, 04:28 AM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hang in there!

Modelers who stay in this hobby eventually develop into a person with a LOT of skills. Think about all the different things you eventually need to know, to avoid crashing... Adhesives, wood selection and usage, structural engineering, fiberglass, covering materials, tools, aerodynamics, the variety of engine types and sizes, mechanical linkages, hand-eye coordination, the intellectual capability to learn and perfect many maneuvers, and on an on. That's a lot of skills, and they don't just appear overnight. Then there's the fact that "stuff" happens, that is out of our control. Whew!

Well, if it doesn't sound too corny, here's the karate analogy....
Ask a karate instructor "How do I break a brick?" and the answer will likely be, "You begin to understand how to do a technique by practicing it one thousand times." There really are very few shortcuts. Dave Platt said, in one of his videos, referring to some "easier" ways to do markings on a scale model, "You may as well just start in and do the job." We all just have to hang in there and do the best we can.

...And I had one a couple of weeks ago. The attached image is one of the larger parts remaining after my kit-bashed Ultra Sport hit the dirt at warp 6.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19660_2519.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	12350  
Old 08-01-2002, 11:26 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few weeks ago after crashing my favorite airplane (Sig King Kobra) I was sitting at the bench talking. I told my buddy that maybe it was time to change hobbies........perhaps I would now collect stamps !!!! His answer......"with your luck brian...you would have a water leak !!!!" Guess I am stuck with this hobby
Brian
Old 08-01-2002, 12:05 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I notice that this thread has evolved into tales of wanting to quit after a crash. Yet, there are many more valid reasons why a modeler might want to quit such as boredom with the hobby, conflicting interests, health, marital pressures, loss of confidence in your skills, etc. If all it takes to want to quit the hobby is a crash, then perhaps you're not as hooked on RC as you thought.

The folks we loose for sure are the ones that just sort of drift away bit by bit until they stop coming out to the field.

quint
Old 08-01-2002, 02:16 PM
Mike James

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default There are other reasons to quit, but...

I don't think it "evolved". The original poster, Tommygun, asked, "Has anyone else ever had a crash so bad that it made you want to walk away from this hobby?"

Hence the replies.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:34 PM
tmproff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also, I believe that the #1 reason people leave this hobby is the crashes/ cost of the hobby. I have a friend that I tried to get into the hobby, he bought his first plane, built it, and when he had his first crash, he hasnt touched it since. (easy fix too)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service