Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club Officers & Club Dues

Old 12-06-2001, 01:18 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Club Officers & Club Dues

How many clubs give a free year's membership to the club officer's? How about a discount on their dues? Do you think it entices the wrong people to run for election?

Would there be more interest in becoming an club officer if incentives were given?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:56 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our club pays the dues for the officers.

"Entice the wrong people to run"??? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
It doesn't entice ANYONE to run!
Old 12-07-2001, 05:30 AM
Bob Ruth

I have always considered this to be a nice benefit, However.....
If you really do your job as a club officer then the benny of free membership will never compensate for the work and somtimes agony required.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:09 PM
jetmex-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Default Club dues for officers

We don't have officers, so we can just avoid that issue entirely. The field is owned by a group of ten members, all the dues go toward payments and upkeep of the field. There are no work days, meetings or any of the other traditional trappings of a flying club. We pay our dues and go fly. It sure beats dealing with egos!
Old 12-07-2001, 05:34 PM
KevinSheen

Our officers don't pay the club dues for their services.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Flying Gators MAC - AMA Charter 202
Officers get 1) free dues or 2) pay dues and get 4 gallons of fuel free.

Dues are $50/year with as much as $20 discount if paid prior to year end (starting in Sept $5/month until 12/31 of the dues year).

Officers include Pres, VP, Treas, Sect, Field Manager, Fuel Chairman and Newsletter Editor. We are not inundated by people wanting these perks. The biggest job of the officers is to find someone to succeed them.

Red S.
Editor/VP(elect) FGMAC
Old 12-09-2001, 10:11 PM
Roadrunner

Default Club Officers-Club Dues

I exchange newsletters with 14 clubs and I have never seen any reference in any of them granting club officers any dues reductions. Seems like a poor incentive to take office. We have the same problems as other clubs in filling vacancies but we always seem to find a dedicated member when we need one. But, as the saying goes, "Whatever works!"
Old 12-09-2001, 10:15 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Originally posted by redscho
Fuel Chairman
What is that?? Your club buys fuel in bulk I assume... and you sell it to club members?
Old 12-17-2001, 04:04 PM
maac16324
My Feedback: (6)

Default Dues Reduction

Our club has plus or minus 150 members. Our long standing policy is no dues reductions for anybody for any reason. The best thing we did to keep the executive fresh was to constitutionally limit the president to two years. That way he/she does their thing then gets out of the way, "cronyism" is all but eliminated and everybody pays their dues every year.

Brian Weekley
maac16324L
Victoria radio Control Modellers Society
Old 12-17-2001, 11:16 PM
maverick

The by-laws of the club I belong to state:

"This organization shall not pay salaries or give compensation for services to any director, officer or member."

However it is my understanding that Club Officers get free dues anyway.

Go figure!
Old 12-18-2001, 03:02 AM
Scooter-inactive

Well, as an officer of my club, I pay dues also. I took my position as an officer because I believe that I can assist our club in a positive way, not because I was looking for a "free ride".

However, I could become a CD and avoid the AMA dues ....
Old 12-18-2001, 10:31 PM
Dzlstunter

Our club has functioned over 40 years with no compensation to its officers. Occassionally, we waive dues for an elderly member who no longer flies, but who likes to get the newsletter and/or attend meetings.
Old 12-19-2001, 03:05 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Board of Directors of our club is elected every year. Maybe "elected" isn't the right term.
Maybe "the people who actually attend the meeting on the nite we elect officers" is a better term.

As former Newsletter Editor, I even put a rather large note in an April issue that said that the the Board of Directors and their guests had just returned from an all-expenses-paid trip to Cancun, paid for by Club Dues! The response? Absolutely nothing.

Not only do our members not vote, they don't read the Newsletter.

It's another case of the 90/10 rule: 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the membership
Old 12-19-2001, 08:29 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by Chris 540

What is that?? Your club buys fuel in bulk I assume... and you sell it to club members?
Yes we do. From Morgan fuels 11.5% nitro 18% lubricant (50/50 castor/synthetic). As soon as a drum is delivered we decant into 1 gal jugs. Price to club members is $10/gal. We have been doing it for years.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:34 AM
maverick

Originally posted by pettit
As former Newsletter Editor, I even put a rather large note in an April issue that said that the the Board of Directors and their guests had just returned from an all-expenses-paid trip to Cancun, paid for by Club Dues! The response? Absolutely nothing.

Not only do our members not vote, they don't read the Newsletter.

It's another case of the 90/10 rule: 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the membership
Well I have just taken over the reins of editor at my club and today posted my inaugural newsletter.

I hope all of the effort I put into it is appreciated a little more than what I see from your experience!

Maybe I will have to try the 'shock tactics' in a future newsletter too!
Old 12-20-2001, 01:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Re: Dues Reduction

Originally posted by Brian Weekley
Our club has plus or minus 150 members. Our long standing policy is no dues reductions for anybody for any reason. The best thing we did to keep the executive fresh was to constitutionally limit the president to two years. That way he/she does their thing then gets out of the way, "cronyism" is all but eliminated and everybody pays their dues every year.

Brian Weekley
maac16324L
Victoria radio Control Modellers Society
We put such a restriction in our constitution at the insistance of the last individual to run (that would accept the postition). This year when his two years were up we had to recind the policy. Either that or disolve the club as no one else would volunteer for the job.

Red S.
Flying Gators
VP, ex President (8 years)
Newsletter Editor (11 years)
LM/CD
Old 12-20-2001, 02:02 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

It's funny... 150 members or 50, nothing's different. What is the yearly turnover of your clubs? Notice that it's the folks who don't turn over that become officers? And everyonce in a while a new member becomes a recurring member and you get a new person in office.
Old 12-22-2001, 07:02 AM
maac16324
My Feedback: (6)

Default It must be the water!

I have to say that our club, Victoria Radio Control Modelers, is blessed with a culture of participating and getting along.

The executive revolves and everybody gets along. Heli fliers get along with the fixed wing sport fliers, who get along with the pattern fliers who get along with the scale fliers, who get along with the beginners and so it goes. We have money in the bank, a GREAT flying field and we get along with our neighbours. Every major event (Pattern Contest, Heli Jamboree, Airshow, Fun Fly, Scale Contest and Float Fly) has a different set of organizers but with many common volunteers.

Club meetings focus on workshops and airplane stuff with a minimum of business. Our last president (whose 2 year term was up) told me that he never asked any member to do something where he was turned down. Our club membership (150 members plus or minus) is open and we turn over 20% to 30% each year.

It must be the water!!!

Old 12-22-2001, 07:45 AM
Miniair
My Feedback: (1)

Default Dues

The club I belong to has an elected executive, or maybe i should say we joined the model train guys because in most cases the executive is RailRoaded into the positions.

I'm not sure how it works for our Southern freinds but in most Provinces in Canada the clubs are registered as non-profit organizations, to keep this standing, which protects the members from being sued over club bills or payments, you can not receive payment of any kind and keep this status. Giving a club membership to an executive is a form of payment.

Also 99.9% of our executive do it to try and help the club grow.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 PM
littlera

Default RE: Club Officers & Club Dues

Test
Test
Test
This is a cut and paste test. Please ignore this post.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In my club (I'm the Secretary - third term) we all pay Club. AMA and IMAA dues and take a turn mowing; officer or not.  No special treatment for officers, just more abuse.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 AM
tommygun32

A 'cut and paste' test on a 9 year old thread???? [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlera

Test
Test
Test
This is a cut and paste test. Please ignore this post.
There's a whole "Test Post" forum, for.... well.... test posts. You don't have to pull up long dead threads to make test posts.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mind.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

A 'cut and paste' test on a 9 year old thread????
Thanx !!

I almost posted a reply...

[8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.