Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Nuker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a work table/ plane / heli setup area.

Also permanent tie downs for the planks

Hover area for heli training/practice

C/L designated area

Car track

Might not want E-W runways otherwise, depending on wind either take-off or landings early morn or late aft will be bright

Since you're going whole hog here, why not wiring and speakers for a PA system (don't need to peave PA there all the time but allow easy plug in.

Clean water supply.

Sun shelter

Safely designed spectator area

Safe place for the kids

Hope this helps

Nuker
Old 08-02-2002, 05:43 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I disagree with Nuker on the EW runway. The runway should run EW and the flight line should face North. Up in Washington the sun will allways be behind you and the prevailing wind there is from the west. Don't forget the potties.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

How about a map of the entire property including rodas and the gun clup showing the direction of fire? If it is set up wrong, it could give new meaning to Shot Down!
Old 08-02-2002, 06:22 PM
seafury_fb11

I like the idea of having separate flight lines. If I had my choice of any configuration, I would have the pits in the middle, with the runway on one side and the helis flying on the opposite side of the pits.

In the pit area, some shade trees would be nice so that folks don't have to bake in the sun all day. Also some descent restroom facilities. And if you are going all out, maybe a hotdog stand or at least some vending machines.

As mentioned already, some good work benches.

An engine break-in area away from the pits.

Russ.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:36 PM
Nuker

Disagree??? I'm crushed. Actually one of our local fields has that config (E-W) and that's one of the probs. It was resolved my making NW=SE and the sun minimized. (at least kept to the periphy)

Of course you could always get sunglasses

Man now I feel like I have to upgrade our field. Some great ideas
Old 08-03-2002, 01:18 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handicap parking close to the pits.

I had a heck of a time rolling 100+ feet through the grass with a GP Extra (60 size) balanced on my lap. This year the club did make provisions, and it has made things so much easier.

Ben
Old 08-03-2002, 03:45 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only real problem that I had was that there is a drainage ditch along the road at our field. Everyone just parks along the side of the road before the ditch, then there are 2 waqlking bridges across. Well, the bridges are too narrow for a wheelchair so I had to go around the ditch. This year they put a length of culvert pipe in the ditch and backfilled part of it so I can just back my truck across and I'm right there. Makes everything much easier.

Most fields probably don't have a situation like this, but it doesn't take much to make things accessible.

Ben
Old 08-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Tapio

Default phone home

Are you guys lucky enough to have phone acess also? This would be good for emergencies. Also you could set up a web cam for the club website to see whos flying , a link to the portable anemometre would top off the list. Ive seen a frequency board that stated even channels only. I'm assuming this was done to avoid frequency conflict with another rc site ( odd ch ) that would be too close for radio interference. Perhaps you could do this with the heli guys, them odd ch's, planes even. I can see the protest already!!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 07:59 AM
simo_aus

for the boats. A nice round or square pond with all sides access would be great for power and sailing. Not sure where to put it....Try to keep it as free of water grass and weeds as possible.
From what I've heard a rolled grass circle is best for control line.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:22 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of the fields that I fly at in the Puget Sound area have E-W runways and they both work very well. However, the one that has the pilot facing north is far superior to the one where the pilot faces south. So if at all possible you should orient the pilot stations on the south side of the field.

My only other suggestion is to make a playgound for the kids. RC Flying is a family activity and having a safe place for the kids to play while a parent flies is invaluable. Also having an area with picnic tables, etc. also adds to the family friendly environment.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Theres 1 club I know that has a phone number you call and it will tell you the current wind speed and direction at the field. It also gives the same info from an hour ago.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Tapio

Wow 540, I thought my buddies and I were looking into the year 2015 when we "joked " about this. Wonder how many clubs have a forum on their web site to discuss who's going that morning etc.. Our rc car club had a Bravenet forum and it was so handy.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:40 AM
GalenB

Originally posted by fitenfyr
Galen,
BTW where do you fly? Flaming geyser and Marrymoore?
coming.
I a fly little and mostly instruct at Marymoor, and do most of my personal flying at Cascade Family Airpark in Snohomish.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:09 AM
recon-RCU

Here is my (dream) field. The pic is rather old, there is actually a bit of green grass there now. No one flys helis or rarely control line, but you can see the attempts of control line circles. Our club is trying to stay as far away as possible from surface r/c for safety reasons.

Field Pic
Old 08-05-2002, 04:02 AM
GalenB

Hmmm.... Haven't been there yet. Private full scale field?
It's a private field that is used by both full scale and RC flyers. The only full scale flying there is pretty much done by the owners as he has something like 14 planes scattered around the puget sound area...

I like it because you face north and it is kid friendly and kid safe.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:13 AM
recon-RCU

What saftey reasons are you concerned with for surface and air at the same place?
Just incase some one comes is a r/c car with an aircraft radio, and not familiar with frequency control, they drive their car and a plane gets shot down. Also not a safety reason but: If someone is driving a couple hundred dollar car with an aircraft radio and someone is flying a multi thousand dollar plane, you can guess the rest...
Old 08-05-2002, 03:54 PM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Default Float Flying

If you're making a pond for boats make sure its large enough for float flying also.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:40 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

A few thoughts on the edge of reality:

1) On site hobby shop. Wouldn't need the big stuff but a good collection of spares.

2) Permanent "hanger" space where one could lock up their plane and equipment so you would not have to haul it too and from the field.

3) Electricity for chargers, seems obvious bit I don't think it has been mentioned.