Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

prop hub not flat - trash or repair?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

prop hub not flat - trash or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 07:24 PM
mikenlapaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop hub not flat - trash or repair?

Got a MAS Classic 16-8 The rear hub face has bearing surface shaped like a 'cross inside a circle". The suface is not flat but is rounded up in the center. The inner ring of material does not contact the hub as the prop hub adapter is machined out (CH Ign supplied). Tightened up on adapter the outer the outer bearing surface 'ring' area does not even contact.

Total area in contact is .25 SI.

Problem arose when trying to hand start engine after replacing ign system. Flip and when it came on compression prop would rotate.

Proposed plan : sand flat on a glass smooth surface to gain contact of outer ring area. Install and visiually check for run out on tips.

Wish I had some drywall sanding 'paper' for a friction washer?

This prop has maybe 3.5 hrs run time on it. The prior hub adapter was UHMW. There was a white powder, evidence of rotation, when prop was first removed.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: prop hub not flat - trash or repair?

The repair is worth exactly as much as the amount of effort you want to expend. Yes, you can "surface' the hub to get a flat surface if you don't have to remove so much material that it will compromise the strength of the prop. Or, you could buy another one.

Your the only one that can tell what you can do regarding the amount of removed material and structural integrity.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:13 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: prop hub not flat - trash or repair?

Guess I'd ask myself, how did the hub become deformed, or was it that way from purchase. If the answer was that it had something to do with the previous mounting, I'd question the structural integrity of the prop. ie. Had the deformation compromised the structure by inducing stree fractures in the hub. If you feel okay about the structure of the prop, sand it.
Dennis-