Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Flew my first GIANT yesterday.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flew my first GIANT yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 05:02 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Flew my first GIANT yesterday.

Out 15th annual fly in was yesterday.(sept 18,04) My buddy from Woodward OK was nice enough to let me try my thumbs on this 35% CAP 232. I was so excited I forgot the MFG of the plane and the 100cc twin gasser. I have flown a bunch of 1/4 scale stuff and have owned a few. The difference IMHO is night and day. The smoothness was the main thing. It felt light on the sticks and had no bad habits. I did a little knife edge a rolling circle a flat spin and some inverted flight. All of these were effortless.

Now I know what all the fuss is about.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83988.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	174979  
Old 09-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Flew my first GIANT yesterday.

You can tell someone how much better large flys, but it's something that's not really comprehensible until they experience it. From that day on, they're spoiled forever
Old 09-19-2004, 05:21 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome Dave! Darcy let me fly his 3.1 a few weeks ago and I am still thinking about it. It is such a strange feeling and one I want again. Smooooth! My 2.3 flys real good and mimicks that feel. What is the manufacturer of that CAP? It is very nice looking BTW. Carden?

Joe
Old 09-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

You can tell someone how much better large flys, but it's something that's not really comprehensible until they experience it. From that day on, they're spoiled forever

Some day I will own one, must be sweet to fly.
Joe
Old 09-19-2004, 08:20 PM
somethin else
My Feedback: (17)

I got my first gasser this year and I haven't looked back. Its a Radio Craft extra 300l with a DA 100. All I can say is WOW. Its a big jump in $$$ but worth it, way smooth
Old 09-19-2004, 11:29 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Very cool. Mabye someone at my club will let me fly one of their giant planes. Guess I gotta get working on the 28% Edge[]

I had a helluva steal on a 35% Carden Cap this week, but I dropped the ball and someone else got it.[:@]
Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I started flying larger scaled planes on the simulator and figured they were good for practice but nothing could feel like that. A friend shoved the transmitter of his 35% Extra in my stomach after I declined his initial offer to fly it. It fly like the planes on the simulator and felt slower, more stable, smoother, everything. I than got a 1/4 scale gasser and loved it and can't wait to go bigger someday. Bigger flies better.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:22 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Spoiled is right. My budget wont stretch that far but I am glad for the stick time. BTW it is a Carden CAP 232 with a Brisson 6.4. I think a little over 100cc.

David
Old 09-20-2004, 10:10 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flew my first gasser yesterday as well. I maidened my Ultra Stick Lite with a G-26 on it. What a rush!.... Only flew one time due to something I have never seen happen. On take off, the plane rolled down the runway as smooth as silk, but on lift off, the right wheel came off and rolled off the end into the grass. I thought ...darn, must have forgot to tighten the wheel collar. Finished the flight, and landed real slow due to the missing wheel. When we recovered the wheel, the wheel collar was still attached, the axle had actually separated from the rest of the axle bolt. Came right out of the middle. Never seen anything like it. Didn't sheer off, just came right out of the nutted end. Off to buy a pair of axles from the LHS this afternoon.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:41 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hookedonrc

Never seen anything like it. Didn't sheer off, just came right out of the nutted end. Off to buy a pair of axles from the LHS this afternoon.
This is really common on the H9 Funtana 40.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:01 PM
scole
My Feedback: (5)

Great job man, as i keep telling people, there is no better plane than that Cap 540 you got going there.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Ptarmigan

Cool. I hope to do that too.